Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:03:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking hell

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, December 08, 2019, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Only 8 years between the fall of the Berlin Wall and founding of CaB.

I've just shat that amount of time out of my arse between pizza orders! Using shat!

Is it the founding of the Internet age that has simply made everything before it seem prehistoric or that I was going through my teens when it all happened?

touchingcloth

For me it was a combination of DSL internet - no more dialling tone and having to tie up the phone line - and the September 11 attacks, much more so than the more arbitrary turn of the new millennium.

I often get a reality shift moment when something which I know took place after 9/11 and therefore in Modern Times - finishing GCSEs in 2002, for example - is closer to my birth than it is to now.

Twit 2

It's now the same distance from the death of Paul McCartney to Wales rainforest, an area the size of Belgium every day!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Found another grey pube this morning. That's three I've got now. A cause for concern? One day they'll all be grey.

imitationleather

I went bald down there long ago.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 08, 2019, 03:40:33 PM
Found another grey pube this morning. That's three I've got now. A cause for concern? One day they'll all be grey.

I got an abscess once and the pubes from that bombsite are white. The rest remain staunchly vibrant.

H-O-W-L

I was not alive during the fall of the Wall. Hope this scares some of you old bastards.

Captain Z

In those days one Cab post could fit inside an Olympic swimming pool the length of 12 London buses.

Blue Jam

I am six months younger that Stephen Maguire and four days younger than Martin Gould. Gives me hope.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 08, 2019, 04:54:29 PM
I am six months younger that Stephen Maguire and four days younger than Martin Gould. Gives me hope.

Huh, it turns out I no longer know the names of popular snooker players. I used to know them all (especially during the time I worked in a snooker club) but that time appears to have passed.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 08, 2019, 05:15:39 PM
Huh, it turns out I no longer know the names of popular snooker players. I used to know them all (especially during the time I worked in a snooker club) but that time appears to have passed.

Trust me, these are not popular snooker players.

Twenty years since the eclipse, that one passed in the summer without anyone noticing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's probably one of the few cases in sport where that's not true. Half the 90s players are still out there, giant unflushable turds waddling around grazing on prize money and betting sponsorship.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 08, 2019, 04:24:27 PM
I was not alive during the fall of the Wall. Hope this scares some of you old bastards.

Young cunt. Why aren't you out murdering pensioners or whatever it is you people get up to?

bgmnts

I also was not even a baby during the fall of Berlin wall. Smug as fuck now

wosl

The last lad to be shot trying to scale the Wall, in 1989 (Chris Gueffroy), was a year or so younger than me; I can think back to what sort of person I was and what I would've been doing right at the time that his escape bid played out, so the dusty annals will never completely claim him (that he had the drive and balls to do what he did at that age still awes and shames me a bit).  A friend visited Berlin a year before the Wall fell, and I've always envied him getting the chance to experience at first hand the divided city.  I only got to visit post-reunification; not going to complain at getting to live out my twenties on a fractionally less decrepit Earth, though.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The best thing about the TV coverage of the fall of the Berlin Wall was the chance for a glimpse of the elusive, lesser spotted East Berlin mullet, hidden for so long from Western eyes by the veil of the Iron Curtain. Stare too long into the mullet, and the mullet will stare back at you.

the

Did I imagine this - doesn't a bottle go whistling past his head as he's singing?

Edit: it's a feuerwerk

Kryton

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 08, 2019, 04:14:41 PM
I got an abscess once and the pubes from that bombsite are white. The rest remain staunchly vibrant.

Mad thing is, the abscess was in your gum.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 08, 2019, 05:50:27 PM
Young cunt. Why aren't you out murdering pensioners or whatever it is you people get up to?

Doing it slowly, grand dad. Just come over here.

Icehaven

It's ridiculous, to me anyway, that the year 2000 is (give or take a few weeks) the same distance from 1980 as it is from now.

Johnny Yesno

Been fucking hell for some time now.

beanheadmcginty

This year I realised that there were now more years between my birth and the current day than there were between my birth and World War 2. That perturbs me a bit.

Kryton

Closer to Machine lords than we are to Christ.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 08, 2019, 10:30:01 PM
This year I realised that there were now more years between my birth and the current day than there were between my birth and World War 2. That perturbs me a bit.

In a lovely fireside example of redundant and hateful pedant shithousery it is incumbent of me to point out this would also be the case if you were born before World War II (up to a point).

Pinball

I recently watched the excellent Jack Ryan movie 'Clear and Present Danger' starring Harrison Ford and from 1994. It was high tech 'realistic' spy stuff. Some tech elements aged well e.g laser-guided smart bombs and NSA-level phone call interception. BUT... no Internet, no text messages, no DVDs (introduced 1996), no satnav, no drone strikes (they used helicopters!). They did have a crude intra-government email system, and UNIX-based instant messaging, however.  I also spotted a state-of-the-art 386 PC :-)

It really looked quite dated in the modern context. So I would say the mid-90s represents the interface between most modern stuff and 'olden times' that millennials onwards wouldn't recognise.

An excellent, well-written (Tom Clancy) movie BTW. Actually 2 movies if you include the prior 'Patriot Games' (1992), with same cast. A nice 4K box set recently came out.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Pinball on December 08, 2019, 10:52:55 PM
I recently watched the excellent Jack Ryan movie 'Clear and Present Danger' starring Harrison Ford and from 1994. It was high tech 'realistic' spy stuff. Some tech elements aged well e.g laser-guided smart bombs and NSA-level phone call interception. BUT... no Internet, no text messages, no DVDs (introduced 1996), no satnav, no drone strikes (they used helicopters!). They did have a crude intra-government email system, and UNIX-based instant messaging, however.  I also spotted a state-of-the-art 386 PC :-)

It really looked quite dated in the modern context. So I would say the mid-90s represents the interface between most modern stuff and 'olden times' that millennials onwards wouldn't recognise.

An excellent, well-written (Tom Clancy) movie BTW. Actually 2 movies if you include the prior 'Patriot Games' (1992), with same cast. A nice 4K box set recently came out.

All worth it for no Affleck

olliebean

Oh, thanks a lot. You just made me realise there are now more years between my birth and the current day than between my birth and the end of World War One.

Icehaven

That's made me realise there's currently exactly the same number of years between the start of WW2 and my birth, and my birth and now.

SteveDave

I've often wondered why older snooker players don't keep playing at the highest level? It's not like it's a physically demanding game is it? Do they just get bored of practicing and decide to start DJing? I'm now laughing at an image (in my mind) of Ray Reardon banging out some Happy Hardcore.