Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:31:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking hell

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, December 08, 2019, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Their hand to eye coordination tends to go with age. They can no longer get the correct angle on the balls, Jeff.

NoOffenceLynn

Pre-internet my reality shift moment would happen in two ways.

As a kid I would see the BEST BEFORE DATE printed on things like Milk or Cheese and think fantastic, birthday soon.

A party with 7 year old friends... is all good until the "upset tummy" turns into projectile vomiting on a bouncy castle after mixing, Cheese and Onion Crisps with Popcorn and Birthday Cake.

As an adult, my reality shift moment is when I get an new ATM card with an expiry date well into the future. And briefly think, who will expire first?

SteveDave

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 09, 2019, 02:24:01 PM
Their hand to eye coordination tends to go with age. They can no longer get the correct angle on the balls, Jeff.

Is that why that one had those massive upside down glasses?

seepage

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 09, 2019, 02:24:01 PM

good chance of serious injury attempting that weird straddling the table thing as well

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: SteveDave on December 09, 2019, 02:40:26 PM
Is that why that one had those massive upside down glasses?

Dennis Taylor? Yip. By the time he retired his eyesight was so bad that he couldn't see any further than the length of a snooker table. This is what snooker does to the human body.

Anyway, you're meant to be the snooker expert. You're the one who's named himself after one. Why am I telling you things?

imitationleather

Quote from: SteveDave on December 09, 2019, 02:07:06 PM
I've often wondered why older snooker players don't keep playing at the highest level? It's not like it's a physically demanding game is it? Do they just get bored of practicing and decide to start DJing? I'm now laughing at an image (in my mind) of Ray Reardon banging out some Happy Hardcore.

I am guessing that their eyes and steady hands start to go. It seems pretty mentally demanding as well.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not to mention will to carry on. Snooker must bore the shit out of you day in day out so not surprising someone with plenty of prize money and nothing to prove can't be arsed anymore.

It's those fighting the dying of the light like Jimmy White and until a few years ago Steve Davis who I somewhat admire, (though that's an odd word to use about chugging along with nothing better to do because it's the only thing you're half decent at).

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That's why they should bring back smoking and drinking during snooker matches. It stopped them getting bored back then, and it'll stop them getting bored now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 09, 2019, 06:53:15 PM
That's why they should bring back smoking and drinking during snooker matches. It stopped them getting bored back then, and it'll stop them getting bored now.

And chinning players

shiftwork2

They were inspirational.  As a child I would watch these pale alcoholics smoking Superkings and think: I could be an athlete.

buttgammon

I've often wondered why older snooker players don't keep playing at the highest level? It's not like it's a physically demanding game is it? Do they just get bored of practicing and decide to start DJing? I'm now laughing at an image (in my mind) of Ray Reardon banging out some Happy Hardcore.

Come to the snooker thread, where people have recently been trying to figure out how to rid snooker of some of its ageing faecal matter (or 'players' in snooker parlance).

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 08, 2019, 03:40:33 PM
Found another grey pube this morning. That's three I've got now. A cause for concern? One day they'll all be grey.

I found my first grey pube shorty after my 31st birthday

In a kebab it was

Blue Jam

I've often wondered why older snooker players don't keep playing at the highest level? It's not like it's a physically demanding game is it?

1. Their eyesight starts to go, their minds get less sharp and they find they just can't compete with the Young Chinese Lads™

2. They're a bunch of primadonnas who get bored of earning millions by getting to play a pub game for a living and decide they'd rather sack it off and play golf instead

3. Some of them actually do keep playing, and as others have said here, it'd actually be for the best if they sacked it off to play golf instead #TurdFlush

Blue Jam

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 09, 2019, 07:04:25 PM
They were inspirational.  As a child I would watch these pale alcoholics smoking Superkings and think: I could be an athlete.

You know how some people have suggested that we create a new, higher tier of sport for athletes who want to take steroids and other performance-enhancing things? Starting with a whole new Olympics for artificial superhumans, because it could actually be great? I'd like to suggest a new, lower tier of sport for ageing pissed-up chainsmokers.

On second thoughts, the World Seniors Snooker...