Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Everything but Brexit" CH4 election debate 6:30pm

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 08, 2019, 04:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Quote from: colacentral on December 08, 2019, 11:33:32 PM
On an almost 9000 majority I find that pretty unlikely.

Right. They've been canvassing it like billy-o as well. I wish they'd spend more time in marginals.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 08, 2019, 11:52:32 PM
She was fucking excellent. Labour have got so many people who would obviously be extremely capable in government while the Tories have a bunch of not just cunts but stupid, inept cunts.

Sweating familiars like Raab who constantly has the complexion and expression of someone a centimetre of tract away from aggressively sharting himself.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 08, 2019, 11:30:11 PM
'Pidders' might be losing her seat.

NW Durham?  No chance.  Though a couple of the seats next to hers - I'm thinking of Sedgefield & Bishop Auckland - might well do.  In fact Bishop Auckland probably will turn blue - and given that the seat has been won by Labour in all but one election in the last century, it speaks volumes about where we are, and how unpopular the party's leadership is in its heartlands.  If my Facebook feed is anything to go by (anecdotal evidence is hardly a psephological tool, but fuck it I'm saying it anyway), then people I know who've always voted Labour - and who's parents, grandparents & g-grandparents also did - are not voting for them this time round, and the reason is the same every time.

The prospect of Tories getting their hands on so many NE seats is truly shameful - though I don't doubt that any other of the prospective leaders mentioned would win it back.  Far too early for Pidcock mind - who isn't a particularly impressive performer.  Starmer, Lewis, or Rayner for me (in that order) in the event of another GE defeat.

BlodwynPig

pancreas has done a great job in Bishop Auckland, surely enough? If it goes blue, we know who to blame ;)

Tbf even Corbyn's unpopularity couldn't be fully blamed for the loss of BA.  Helen Goodman is nuttier than squirrel poo.

pancreas

I think we may just keep BA. We are losing some Labour votes—apparently, very difficult to tell since the data is shite—but we are picking up some Remainer tories. 2000 newly registered voters in BA too. The majority is 500. Should expect them to split mostly for Labour.

MSEC is probably fucked though. The anti-Corbyn campaign there has been very very effective.

I hope so pancreas, seeing BA flip blue would be truly grim.

And MSEC is already Tory, though you'd definitely expect it to be turning red in a Labour victory. It must be in the top ten or twenty Labour targets.

Christ, this is all pretty depressing.  It feels like we're playing for snookers.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 08, 2019, 11:52:32 PM
She was fucking excellent. Labour have got so many people who would obviously be extremely capable in government while the Tories have a bunch of not just cunts but stupid, inept cunts.

Don't forget, venal, evil and duplicitous

pancreas

colacentral

The two people who spoke at the end on the actual show said Labour too, and got some applause. Rayner got applause for a few things she said; no one else did. Great stuff. She's the MVP of the campaign for those two appearances alone.

gib

I think she's on the QT for young people tonight.

imitationleather

Quote from: gib on December 09, 2019, 03:50:50 PM
I think she's on the QT for young people tonight.

Blimey. I thought Big Brother's Big Mouth ended years ago!

colacentral

The comment she made which got big applause was around Labour making too many promises, according to a few people in the crowd. She said "This country was bankrupt after the second world war, and we created the NHS and the welfare state." Derbyshire said "yeah but those were different times" or something and Rayner came back with "we can do the same thing today and I make no apologies for believing in the ambition of this country" or something.

Invoking World War 2 and the blitz spirit as the answer to Labour's ambitions is really smart and plays to the type of people we need to keep hold of, the older people who buy into the Tory Brexit rhetoric.

BlodwynPig

Victoria Derbyshire "We can't do that! It's the dark ages for crying out loud!"

Victoria Derbyshire "We can't travel to the USA, horses can't swim that far in 2019"

Schmo Diddley

Talk of Rebecca Long Bailey as next leader is a bit deflating. Saw her supporting Corbyn at an event in Manchester when he was running for leader, she seemed passionate but not all that articulate or particularly intelligent, as brutal as it sounds. Solid and dependable but not charismatic enough to be a leader.

Cat Smith was also there on the day and she was very impressive, spoke really well and seemed like she had a very bright future. Particularly as she won a tough seat back from the Tories. Thought she'd have been groomed for a shadow cabinet position so I'm not sure what's happened there, although she might have had a child since then.

BlodwynPig

He's not yet cold in his grave/ PM for 5 minutes and you're talking about replacements?