Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:37:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frozen II

Started by Blinder Data, December 09, 2019, 10:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

This was pretty good, better than the first which I found lightweight and Disney-by-numbers.

I clocked early on it would be about climate change and colonial representation of history, which will piss off gammons no end. I found Olaf to be much less annoying than in the first film, in which his role as comedy anthropomorphised creature was as subtle as a brick. I still reckon he should have stayed dead though and that Arundel should've been flooded to show the people the consequences of their actions and the need to change for the better.

The songs are good. If there's a Let It Go-style break-out tune, it's going to be Into The Unknown with its chorus that encourages kids to bellow along to. Show Yourself is very similar to Let It Go but doesn't have the same oomph. Lost In The Woods is a very fun pastiche of a rock ballad.

Plot is probably too complex for little kids but at least this one has a decent storyline, unlike the first.

Nice to see they went for 'II', à la the Godfather, instead of '2'. Keep it classy.

7.5/10

Small Man Big Horse

I want to see this but as a 45 year old man in what would undoubtedly be a cinema filled with very young girls and their angry parents, I don't think I should risk it. I'm quite happy to wait for the dvd release though, I was fond of the first one but it forgot it was a musical about two thirds of the way through the running time and gave us an action filled ending without any songs annoyingly, does this do the same thing?

Blinder Data

Some of the songs are very Musical Theatre in style but it's true that they don't underpin every major plot point. In fact the last song occurs about 20 minutes before the end so there's no big finale number.

BlodwynPig

I saw enough on the Primark big screen on Northumberland Street.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 09, 2019, 02:00:50 PM
Some of the songs are very Musical Theatre in style but it's true that they don't underpin every major plot point. In fact the last song occurs about 20 minutes before the end so there's no big finale number.

Gah, that's annoying as that irritated me last time. Ah well, means I'll be happy to wait for it to turn up online for free then.

MojoJojo

You could almost hear the writers straining to fit the characters into a new story. That said, the pacing was still better than the first.

Earth, air, fire, water and ice?

The "act of true love" equivalent wasn't really set up well and felt unearned.

Blinder Data

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 10, 2019, 04:12:59 PM
Earth, air, fire, water and ice?

The "act of true love" equivalent wasn't really set up well and felt unearned.

Yeah, it all got a bit Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I was almost thinking that Kristoff was going to get off with Ryder - they had much better chemistry and would've made a sweet couple

Mister Six

Is she a proper lezzer in this one?

H-O-W-L

do you wanna build a snowcunt

Dewt

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 09, 2019, 10:38:25 AM
This was pretty good, better than the first which I found lightweight and Disney-by-numbers.

I clocked early on it would be about climate change and colonial representation of history, which will piss off gammons no end. I found Olaf to be much less annoying than in the first film, in which his role as comedy anthropomorphised creature was as subtle as a brick. I still reckon he should have stayed dead though and that Arundel should've been flooded to show the people the consequences of their actions and the need to change for the better.

The songs are good. If there's a Let It Go-style break-out tune, it's going to be Into The Unknown with its chorus that encourages kids to bellow along to. Show Yourself is very similar to Let It Go but doesn't have the same oomph. Lost In The Woods is a very fun pastiche of a rock ballad.

Plot is probably too complex for little kids but at least this one has a decent storyline, unlike the first.

Nice to see they went for 'II', à la the Godfather, instead of '2'. Keep it classy.

7.5/10

A dvd screener for this has now leaked, but I didn't get on with it as much as you did unfortunately. Probably not helped by not being a huge fan of the original, and though it had it's moments I just couldn't find myself getting that involved, found Olaf shockingly irritating this time around, and I don't know, it was fine and everything, just not that great. 6.8/10

Oh, and I'm sure I read that Elsa was going to be full on gay in this but she's not in the slightest (unless she's fucking that female horse off camera, which I have my suspicions about) which genuinely disappointed, of course it didn't need to be explicit but her having even a minor flirtation with a female character would have been a major step forward for Disney.

You should all watch Tangled instead. Much better animation, and with better humour too.

idunnosomename

Disney will not have a full-on gay character for a very very long time because there are markets (China, south of Mason Dixon) where that would not fly and what is point of product if product does not make profit.

Chollis

do you wanna build a Gayman

Bazooka

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 03, 2020, 10:23:22 AM
Disney will not have a full-on gay character for a very very long time because there are markets (China, south of Mason Dixon) where that would not fly and what is point of product if product does not make profit.

Or just distribute the opening and closing credits for the same price.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 03, 2020, 02:50:07 AM
You should all watch Tangled instead. Much better animation, and with better humour too.

I agree, but I've already seen Tangled and hoped this might have been as good.

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 03, 2020, 10:23:22 AM

Sadly you seem to be right, though they could do a Star Wars and just have one scene which establishes the character is gay and then edit it out for homophobic countries.

Dex Sawash

Just put a star over the knobs and job's a good un

kngen

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 09, 2019, 10:38:25 AM

7.5/10

Just watched the screener with the wee one (my first time, her second). Agree with you almost entirely. Thought using the 4-note motif in not one but two showstoppers was fucking ballsy, and I did elicit a 'fucking hell!' both times they hit their respective crescendos (which is always great when watching films with children). The call-and-response use of the motif in Into the Unknown was practically Wagnerian In fact, they they could have called this Frozen II: Wagner for Kids (with a bit of Moana). And with jokes, because they remembered to put them in this time, which made it a far easier watch than the first one. Not quite Tangled standard, but not far off.

Edit: And puberty. The climate change/puberty allegory was pretty smart given the target demographic and what they might be going through or be on the cusp of since the first one was released.