Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:53:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seamus Heaney doc

Started by Twit 2, December 10, 2019, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Recently on the BBC, now on the iplayer.

Watched the first half last night. Was moved to tears. Absolutely beautiful and life-affirming. Watch it.

NattyDread 2

Yes, thought it was a wonderful piece of film making. Well worth catching.

buttgammon

Does anyone know if this was/will be shown on RTÉ?

EOLAN

Oh; he was the poet we studied for English that I couldn't stand. Partly because my teacher was so effusive about him while being snooty about Keats and Larkin who gelled with me a lot more.

Although one of my best pieces of creative work was a 16 stanza poem actually quite respectfully parodying (or just mimicking) the style of Heaney. Mid-Term Break which we did in our junior cycle of secondary school was quite moving and powerful.

Twit 2

Of his contemporaries, I prefer Mahon and Longley. But something about the archive footage; the family tales; his wife nearly breaking down reading a poem for her; the poem for his aunt; the full story behind Mid-Term Break -  all of it combined to bowl me over. Authenticity and beauty overflowing. The power of poetry. Just beautiful.

buttgammon

Heaney, Mahon and Longley. No matter how much I think about it, it's astonishing to think of how many brilliant writers came from the same place and time. Broaden it slightly from that generation and you also have the likes of Ciaran Carson and Paul Muldoon. It's incredible.