Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:11:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

If You Walked Through A Time Vortex Thing And Was Transported Back To 2010...

Started by Dr Rock, December 10, 2019, 04:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 10, 2019, 05:34:15 PM
Yeah that was the thinking that inspired this super thread. Nothing's bloody changed. I'd blame the Tories but I suspect it's not very different in France or Australia.

Nah, Australia's changed A LOT

Different world

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

There were only three Marvel Studios films back then and only one of them was actually popular.

Quote from: Piggyoioi on December 10, 2019, 05:21:15 PM
no smartphones
There were definitely some, but not nearly as many and they all had relatively titchy screens.

As far as I can remember,  people actually used social media for being sociable, instead of to make themselves angry.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 10, 2019, 04:58:56 PM
... how long would it take you to twig and what would tip you off? You're in the high street or somewhere, not at home where you could turn on the telly. Even then it's mostly the same programmes anyway, but you might see the news or something.

No WiFi on the bus to work would be a giveaway. As would the fact I don't recognise anybody in work and my card probably wouldn't let me in. Telly probably wouldn't have Youtube or a USB plughole, I'd be suspicious of that.

A good question would be would you go back in time if you went back as your current age and continued aging normally? Just to see it again. But you had to live normal time from then.

checkoutgirl

Architecture is a big clue. Didn't they demolish that Oddbins 6 or 7 years ago?

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 10, 2019, 05:49:40 PM
A good question would be would you go back in time if you went back as your current age and continued aging normally? Just to see it again. But you had to live normal time from then.
Would I replace my younger self? Although I have aged like a fine wine, it would probably freak out my friends and family if I suddenly got nine years older.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: imitationleather on December 10, 2019, 05:36:29 PM
Whenever I'm worried about having travelled back in time I check how many studio albums Arctic Monkeys have in the discography section of their Wikipedia page.

Ah, the Arctic Monkey Index. I know it well.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 10, 2019, 05:54:14 PM
Would I replace my younger self? Although I have aged like a fine wine, it would probably freak out my friends and family if I suddenly got nine years older.

Then don't go back. Most people probaby wouldnt. I'd be tempted by the 60s.

imitationleather

Quote from: Captain Z on December 10, 2019, 05:57:12 PM
Lack of antisemitism.

When I travelled back to 1920s Berlin this was the only thing which convinced me I was no longer in 2019 Newcastle.

Head Gardener

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 10, 2019, 05:58:49 PM
Then don't go back. Most people probaby wouldnt. I'd be tempted by the 60s.
I'm not saying I wouldn't. There would be a great comfort to reliving the past without the constant uncertainty about the future (up until the time you left, at least). You could go back to the Cold war, safe in the knowledge that nuclear armageddon wasn't really going to happen.

imitationleather

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 10, 2019, 06:06:25 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't. There would be a great comfort to reliving the past without the constant uncertainty about the future (up until the time you left, at least). You could go back to the Cold war, safe in the knowledge that nuclear armageddon wasn't really going to happen.

Even if you go to Moscow and fart on Brezhnev's head?

FredNurke

Quote from: imitationleather on December 10, 2019, 06:07:45 PM
Even if you go to Moscow and fart on Brezhnev's head?

Legend Gary Sparrow already did that to Gorbachev after a big night out.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Chollis on December 10, 2019, 05:15:37 PM
People just say "happy new year" though. You haven't thought this through.

Yeah but people would be wearing these:

And not these:

Also, does this time portal require me to get nude, like in Terminator, or is that optional?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 10, 2019, 06:11:51 PM
Also, does this time portal require me to get nude, like in Terminator, or is that optional?

Depends if you were nude and squatting like Brucey at the time of transportation. I'm usually doing that in any of my idle moments so for me the answer is yes.

imitationleather

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 10, 2019, 06:10:29 PM
Yeah but people would be wearing these:

And not these:

Ah but this is no help at all as regardless of the year hipsters be like:

alan nagsworth

Captain Z

In all seriousness it would probably be overhearing people gearing up for the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Pranet

If it was somewhere I knew it would be the pubs that are still pubs and not houses or antique shops.

Famous Mortimer

I would check to see if I still had [REDACTED]'s number in my phone, and then see how sad I was about it.

Cuellar

Quote from: Chollis on December 10, 2019, 05:15:37 PM
People just say "happy new year" though. You haven't thought this through.

I've thought about this a LOT. I guarantee I've thought about it MORE than you think I've thought about it.

Did we have the plastic banknotes in 2010? My current cashcard hadn't been issued in 2010, so I'd be stuck as soon as I tried to buy anything.

imitationleather

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 10, 2019, 07:03:30 PM
Did we have the plastic banknotes in 2010? My current cashcard hadn't been issued in 2010, so I'd be stuck as soon as I tried to buy anything.

Just use one Bitcoin, which at that point would be worth nearly a penny.

kittens

drive my lambo to the bookies and put it all on red over and over again until i have infinite money. buy the world from God and be king bitch of planet earth. live for eternity

Pranet

I do sometimes think about that, how I would make money gambling if I went back in time. Presumably if you kept putting a million pounds on the cup final or whatever and kept winning then they would ban you. Or rather, how would you reach the position where could put a million pounds on the cup final, you'd need to do a lot of smaller bets first. I ponder this for a while and then I remember that it isn't a problem that I need to find a solution to.