Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 3 remake then

Started by madhair60, December 10, 2019, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

As someone who played 5 solo, I can confirm that it is indeed a crock of shit.  Far too many times where I got a game over, due to the incompetence of the AI.  Also; zombies on bikes, firing AK-47s.  Awful game.  4 was a betrayal of the series' core horror roots, but at least it was a damn good game on its own terms.  5 is 4, without the inherent genius of design.

bgmnts

To be honest, 2 and 3 are barely horror, in the same sense that other survival horror games are. Resident Evil was too action oriented in tone.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: bgmnts on December 22, 2019, 02:06:29 AM
To be honest, 2 and 3 are barely horror, in the same sense that other survival horror games are. Resident Evil was too action oriented in tone.

Most survival horror games are crock-of-shit ghost trains on legs where the devs take turns spunking blood in your face and seeing how far they can push you before you quit out of revulsion (see: Outlast and its kin. And no, I'm not a game content puritan, there's just a clear distinction in context between 'this is a nasty story alright' and 'let's see if the player will vomit when we remove their teeth in first person')

Just because you can raise a stick that goes bang at the enemy doesn't mean it's "too" action oriented. Nemesis is fucking horrifying and adds a constant sense of tension and paranoia to the early-to-mid sections of RE3. Way more than any one section of RE1 had for me.

bgmnts

Yeah but compared to Silent Hill, its like an action horror.

I mean hell in Nemesis you can literally make your own ammo to kill anything that moves.

Nemesis still terrifies me from childhood more than anything in any resident evil game though, although Mr X from the remake comes close, so its all relative.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: bgmnts on December 22, 2019, 04:47:00 AM
Yeah but compared to Silent Hill, its like an action horror.

I mean hell in Nemesis you can literally make your own ammo to kill anything that moves.

Nemesis still terrifies me from childhood more than anything in any resident evil game though, although Mr X from the remake comes close, so its all relative.

I think it pales in comparison to the fact that even a well-equipped player will be slotted good and proper by Nemesis 4/5 times unless you've specifically trained yourself in Nemmy-bashing. Plus, every Silent Hill game I've ever played has inevitably ended up giving you a shooter of some description, and not dissuaded you from whacking the poor, tortured figments of Silent Hill's twisted chronospheric influence. I even remember SH3's intro giving you a fuckoff huge Uzi (at least compared to Heather's frame) and letting you rip off on fuckers before she wakes up.

bgmnts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-06-in-the-resident-evil-3-remake-nemesis-can-break-into-safe-rooms

QuoteWhatever the case, the first time Nemesis bursts through a safe room wall to grab you around the neck is a guaranteed scream. I just hope I recover from the heart attack to finish the game.

Well, not now as the surprise has been ruined.

I do NOT like this though, my heart would full on explode like Homer Simpson.

wooders1978

We're all just hanging about for resi 4 at this stage surely?

Bazooka

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 06, 2020, 06:49:53 PM
We're all just hanging about for resi 4 at this stage surely?

Code Veronica, Tyrant on a plane mate.

bgmnts

God a remastered Code Veronica. Could they still do hilarious cross dressing Alfred nowadays? They'd have to trim the fuck out of it too.

Nemesis going to have fast travel as well, awaaah!?

Bazooka

bgmnts

Dont get money until 14th April (corona willing) so self isolating from all things resi evil threemake for the next month.

popcorn

Quote from: bgmnts on March 06, 2020, 06:46:52 PM
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-06-in-the-resident-evil-3-remake-nemesis-can-break-into-safe-rooms

Well, not now as the surprise has been ruined.

I do NOT like this though, my heart would full on explode like Homer Simpson.

Confirmed to have been a misunderstanding/mistranslation.

H-O-W-L

Pre-ordered it because I am a cunt. Would've bought it on launch anyway. Can't wait to stare down Jill's top in HD.

Bazooka

Just finished the demo, it's really short, if you've played RE2make it's just the same, zombies are really cheap. I'll buy it at some stage but in no rush.

Moribunderast

Have been really looking forward to this. I loved the RE2 remake (even though they fucked the A/B playthrough element) and was excited by positive reviews I'd seen for Nemesis so far. My anticipation just dropped massively though upon reading a review that says they've dropped multiple locations and a boss in this remake and the actual campaign play-time is about 4-5 hours. I was going to buy this first-day (extremely rare for me when it comes to a AAA title) but there's no way I can justify spending $90 on a 4-5 hour game, especially in this current climate. That's a shame.

magval

Where's this review then til I get a look at it?

Moribunderast

Review is here.

Reviews are generally positive, it was more the comment about campaign length that's dampened my desire to get this game new. I can't justify spending any more than $30 on a 4-5 hour game. Maybe the online Resistance component will be great and add value but I've never cared much for playing with or against strangers online.

bgmnts

To be honest I knew they would do that anyway, less work for more profit is the code.

Waiting until game pass/cheap as fuck.

Bazooka

It was developed alongside RE2make hence why they were able to knock it out so fast.

magval

I have the same issue with that negative review that I have with most negative reviews these days - he's complaining about things he expected to be there not being there. There seems to be an expectation among people of a certain generation that when something is adapted it shouldn't be edited in any way. People complain similarly about scenes being left out of film adaptations of books. Sometimes, things can be found to work better with a little revision. So I'll reserve judgment on what's "missing", his word, til I play it.
Length of gameplay is harder to argue with, but it's worth mentioning that this guy is clearly a series devotee and by the strength of his writing, probably a competent gamer too. Might take others who aren't like that longer to finish this.

I remain optimistic.

Bazooka

^^ I agree, but if bosses are removed that's pretty redundant. I'm guessing the gravedigger worm is gone.

magval

Don't forget that game only has a couple of bosses, and each appears several times. I wouldn't mind seeing the back of the final 'shoot with giant laser' Nemesis fight, which takes ages and is no craic to play at all.

Gravedigger in the cemetery on the other hand still shits me up to this day. Think I might pre-order this on PSN and take the choice out of my hands, and stay away from reviews - I've been looking forward to it since the moment the RE2 remake was announced.

H-O-W-L

Beat it last night in one sitting. It's pretty good.

madhair60

I'm a fan of Action!RE over Horror!RE so this is sounding appealing to me. Didn't like the RE2 remake but I might pick this up at half off.

bgmnts

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 03, 2020, 05:58:15 PM

Seriously? Worth £50?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 03, 2020, 05:58:15 PM
But what about the game?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: bgmnts on April 03, 2020, 06:24:48 PM
Seriously? Worth £50?

Got it for £29 and I'd say it, at most, bumps up to being worth £35 since that shit-looking Resident Evil Resistance game is actually pretty fun and doesn't seem to have a dog's anus progression system (just a slightly crappy and superfluous one).  It also has a fair bit of replayability; there's an unlocks shop you can only get stuff in by replaying the game and doing cheevos and stuff. There are also two new harder difficulties that were never announced in pre-release material, and Hardcore has been toned down to fit. Don't pay £50 for it, and I say that as a big arse fan of RE3, original and now remake.

Solid game though. There are criticisms, of course, like cut/truncated areas, but it really does work very well as a complete ground up same-beat-new-verse sort of game, if that makes sense? Sort of like how RE2 Remake basically did everything that was in RE2 but it completely restructured how it worked.

H-O-W-L

If you play on PC, then GreenManGaming (a legitimate key reseller licensed by Steam and with a license to re-sell Capcom keys from Capcom themselves) currently has it at £38 which I'd say is quite fair. You can probably also find coupons on the web to make it even cheaper, since GMG are very nice in that regard. I bought my key at GMG, and stacked up a bunch of "loyalty bonuses" (I just have an account there) alongside a flash sale they were doing for pre-orders to get it down to £29.

No affiliation or shilling or anything, it's just the cheapest price I've seen from a site I trust.

Ferris

Nearly bought it then realized I was a fraidy cat and I'd literally never play it so saved a few quid.

Know thyself.

AsparagusTrevor

Played this for a bit over the weekend and, although it's mostly good (and looks amazing), I think Mr X's ubiquity in the RE2 remake has spoiled this for me - I'd already had more than enough of being rushed, running round in constant circles, not being able to stand still for a few seconds and take in the atmosphere.

Anyone else notice the gore has been toned down? The zombies don't fall apart nearly as detailed as they used did in RE2. Censorship or technical limitation? I suppose they've upped the zombie count significantly, maybe that's why.