Author Topic: Resident Evil 3 remake then  (Read 5690 times)

H-O-W-L

• Front Toward Enemy
Re: Resident Evil 3 remake then
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
Anyone else notice the gore has been toned down? The zombies don't fall apart nearly as detailed as they used did in RE2. Censorship or technical limitation? I suppose they've upped the zombie count significantly, maybe that's why.

Technical limitation + engine limitation. Thank the current, dying console generation for that shite. If you pay attention you can also notice distant zombies moving very jerkily where the game has to downcrank their distant movement framerate to accommodate the new zedcount. I play on PC so it bothered me quite a bit -- my PC can cope with it even if consoles can't, so why not give PC players the option? Bloody Capcom.

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »
Anyone got the (standard) PS4 version? If so can you rate the game based on fan volume level please?

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2020, 01:05:46 PM »
Nearly bought it then realized I was a fraidy cat and I’d literally never play it so saved a few quid.

Know thyself.

I've been putting off finishing Resident Evil 2 as I got the fear playing through the first 20% or so, although it's a fantastic game. Then I also accidentally deleted my save file which means I'll have to redo it all. Dunno how people can play the Virtual Reality versions.

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »
Anyone got the (standard) PS4 version? If so can you rate the game based on fan volume level please?

Yes - maximum fan volume throughout, but played it on headphones (as everyone should) so not a problem.

Brilliant game, loved it throughout.

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »
Not a fan of this, at all.

To clarify, only in terms of price tag, the game itself is fine, bit lazy and cynical but that's AAA gaming so who cares.

Edit - just fnished it, easy as piss and the story was actually better and less stupid in the original. More fool me for paying full price, maybe this Resistance game will be a dark horse and make up for the disappointment. If this was an RE2 story DLC i'd be very happy with it.

Fingers crossed.

Oh and the Nemesis, along with Prince Goro and the Xenomorph, was one of the things that really shit me right up as a kid, but in this game he's just utterly laughable. Remember in RE2 when Mr X would stalk you round the RPD and you would hear his chunky bootsteps far away and be utterly bricking it? Making it a survival horror experience?
Yeah, that doesn't happen at all in this. Any encounter with Nemesis is either an on rails hold-left-stick-forward-and-press-button interactive cutscene or a cliched arena boss fight.

Fucking. Shit.

And I know, I know, as said in the RE4 remake thread, it's not harming anyone etc but it has kind of tarnished the legacy of a brilliant video game character to me.

I don't fear the Nemesis anymore.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:00:12 PM by bgmnts »

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2020, 08:36:13 PM »
Finished this this afternoon after getting it on Thursday. As a somewhat newbie to the franchise (discounting RE4 which I've loved for years but obviously was very different to the firdt three), playing my way through the remakes, I'm a little disappointed. The length is a big thing, obviously, but also the Resident Evil 2 remake was such a brilliant experience that this feels lesser by being so similar. More like a DLC expansion pack than a fresh game.

Nemesis felt like a lesser version of RE2-remake's Tyrant, because every encounter with him was scripted, and mostly took control away from you either with cutscenes or just getting to do a short run to the end of a corridor. None of the pants-shitting terror of creepinh not knowing whether he'll pop up, because you cotton on quick that he only will if the story dictates it, and you'll mostly be guided until he goes away again.

It's cery quick and linear, in puzzles and in action, doesn't do either as well as 2. The way they throw zombies at you was by the end annoying rather than scary. The amount of ammo a single zombie takes is fucking mental, especially with seemingly less visual damage than 2. It meant that setpieces like Carlos protecting Jill's saferoom end up chaotic in a frustrating way. But it's all still a breeze for the most part, and the big boss fights take little struggle before the cutscene kicks in and the game takes control away to deal with Nemesis.

All in all it just comes off a really rushed experience. I hope they're doing something totally fresh and another big step forward with RE4, rather than just piping it out in this style.

Tags: