Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 3 remake then

Started by madhair60, December 10, 2019, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on April 04, 2020, 11:20:35 PM
Anyone else notice the gore has been toned down? The zombies don't fall apart nearly as detailed as they used did in RE2. Censorship or technical limitation? I suppose they've upped the zombie count significantly, maybe that's why.

Technical limitation + engine limitation. Thank the current, dying console generation for that shite. If you pay attention you can also notice distant zombies moving very jerkily where the game has to downcrank their distant movement framerate to accommodate the new zedcount. I play on PC so it bothered me quite a bit -- my PC can cope with it even if consoles can't, so why not give PC players the option? Bloody Capcom.

Obel

Anyone got the (standard) PS4 version? If so can you rate the game based on fan volume level please?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 04, 2020, 04:09:15 AM
Nearly bought it then realized I was a fraidy cat and I'd literally never play it so saved a few quid.

Know thyself.

I've been putting off finishing Resident Evil 2 as I got the fear playing through the first 20% or so, although it's a fantastic game. Then I also accidentally deleted my save file which means I'll have to redo it all. Dunno how people can play the Virtual Reality versions.

magval

Quote from: Obel on April 06, 2020, 11:10:13 AM
Anyone got the (standard) PS4 version? If so can you rate the game based on fan volume level please?

Yes - maximum fan volume throughout, but played it on headphones (as everyone should) so not a problem.

Brilliant game, loved it throughout.

bgmnts

Not a fan of this, at all.

To clarify, only in terms of price tag, the game itself is fine, bit lazy and cynical but that's AAA gaming so who cares.

Edit - just fnished it, easy as piss and the story was actually better and less stupid in the original. More fool me for paying full price, maybe this Resistance game will be a dark horse and make up for the disappointment. If this was an RE2 story DLC i'd be very happy with it.

Fingers crossed.

Oh and the Nemesis, along with Prince Goro and the Xenomorph, was one of the things that really shit me right up as a kid, but in this game he's just utterly laughable. Remember in RE2 when Mr X would stalk you round the RPD and you would hear his chunky bootsteps far away and be utterly bricking it? Making it a survival horror experience?
Yeah, that doesn't happen at all in this. Any encounter with Nemesis is either an on rails hold-left-stick-forward-and-press-button interactive cutscene or a cliched arena boss fight.

Fucking. Shit.

And I know, I know, as said in the RE4 remake thread, it's not harming anyone etc but it has kind of tarnished the legacy of a brilliant video game character to me.

I don't fear the Nemesis anymore.

BritishHobo

Finished this this afternoon after getting it on Thursday. As a somewhat newbie to the franchise (discounting RE4 which I've loved for years but obviously was very different to the firdt three), playing my way through the remakes, I'm a little disappointed. The length is a big thing, obviously, but also the Resident Evil 2 remake was such a brilliant experience that this feels lesser by being so similar. More like a DLC expansion pack than a fresh game.

Nemesis felt like a lesser version of RE2-remake's Tyrant, because every encounter with him was scripted, and mostly took control away from you either with cutscenes or just getting to do a short run to the end of a corridor. None of the pants-shitting terror of creepinh not knowing whether he'll pop up, because you cotton on quick that he only will if the story dictates it, and you'll mostly be guided until he goes away again.

It's cery quick and linear, in puzzles and in action, doesn't do either as well as 2. The way they throw zombies at you was by the end annoying rather than scary. The amount of ammo a single zombie takes is fucking mental, especially with seemingly less visual damage than 2. It meant that setpieces like Carlos protecting Jill's saferoom end up chaotic in a frustrating way. But it's all still a breeze for the most part, and the big boss fights take little struggle before the cutscene kicks in and the game takes control away to deal with Nemesis.

All in all it just comes off a really rushed experience. I hope they're doing something totally fresh and another big step forward with RE4, rather than just piping it out in this style.

Glebe

Got this for and Resistance for €12 on the Xbox store. Haven't played Resistance yet but Nemesis is decent. Start of the game is kinda like Silent Hill 4. I miss the original's mournful, atmospheric music.

H-O-W-L

Resistance is a nice little game ruined by grind, cheaters (depending on the platform? maybe not) and Capcom being wankers who wanted to make it MTX-addled and not update it. If effort had been put in it would've been a really solid game.

Glebe

Completed this, last couple of boss fights are tricky if you don't know what to do. Enjoying powering through it again with bonus goodies!

Gave Resistance a quick go, really not into it.

Glebe

Managed to get a B grade in this. Gonna do a speedrun with the infinite rocket launcher.

oggyraiding

I'm trying to get through Resi 2 Remake and it's giving me genuine anxiety. I don't like that zombies can use doors. I don't like how they can soak up 5 head shots. I'm preemptively getting anxious knowing Mr X will turn up. RE 7 and 8 didn't give me this dread because Ethan has a kevlar left arm that can soak up most damage. Even OG Resi 2 didn't scare me this much, and with that you had to contend with shit controls. I want to get the 2 and 3 remakes done before 4, but I am scared little babby.

Ferris

Ferris

Playing through RE2 now, it's quite good.

How can I get unlimited ammo and all the rocket launcher etc then? The survival-horror is fine as it goes, but I want to blow these bastards to bits.

Internet reckons I have to complete the game with an S+ rating which I will never bother doing. Also anyone who is able to do that is least likely to need that kind of firepower versus me who can't be arsed and just likes exploding zombs to smithereens.

popcorn

Rev+

This is the RE3 thread, chief.  Show yourself out.

But it's the same - multiple play-throughs, there are harder difficulties beyond 'hard' that don't unlock until you've done that one, S rank, all that shite.  The infinite rocket launcher is the only one worth getting, really.  It's nice to not require ammo, but the assault rifle thing is so weak it'll get you into loads of trouble.

Ferris

For some reason the fact that it doesn't look or feel like the original game means that I can play through it just fine. Getting the critical headshot is also very satisfying, got two in a row earlier.

The 1998 version, just the inventory menu blips were enough to make me soil my undercrackers.

Ferris

Found it, all extras on me game now and £1.50 very well spent.

C_Larence

That's funny I just started playing 2 yesterday as well. Never touched the original before so it's a completely fresh experience. Had a read through the full RE2 thread but I'm still joke the wiser as to how the A+B scenarios work, but I suppose I'll find out when I get to them. Currently in the sewers in Leon A. My review so far: The zombies in this are fucking scary.

Ferris

The zombies definitely take quite a bit of punishment. The combat knife is surprisingly effective - you can hit them in the leg so they go down, then slash em up or just run away.

Or if you're me, blast them up sharp with the rocket launcher and chuckle as you go.

I'm also in the sewers with Leon. None of the game makes any sense, but it's great fun.

popcorn

What's that knocking sound we hear?

It's the sound of Ferris's knees!

Magnum Valentino

Did you turn the original soundtrack on as well Ferris? That plus rocket launcher really gave that game a bit of replayability for me.

Glebe

Quote from: Rev+ on March 15, 2023, 11:34:31 PMThe infinite rocket launcher is the only one worth getting, really.

Yeah that makes you absolutely unstoppable.

Rev+

Quote from: C_Larence on March 16, 2023, 12:38:03 AMHad a read through the full RE2 thread but I'm still joke the wiser as to how the A+B scenarios work, but I suppose I'll find out when I get to them.

They don't really work in the remake, is the thing.  In the original, you played as one character, then loaded your completed save as the other to do the B scenario, and did another run that was supposed to have taken place at the same time.  It was all mainly the same just a bit re-jigged, although there'd be occasional moments where you could choose not to pick up an item so that the other character could take it in the B game.

One massive difference, though, was that the big Mr. X bastard only cropped up in the B scenario.  Having him up your arse freshened the whole thing up on the second go.  I get why they gave him a promotion in the remake, but now the B scenario is pretty much just a case of doing things in a slightly different order until you get to an extended final fight and the 'proper' ending.

Ferris

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 16, 2023, 07:43:16 AMDid you turn the original soundtrack on as well Ferris? That plus rocket launcher really gave that game a bit of replayability for me.

No, saved myself the 2 quid but I might go back and get it for the price of half a lager. Really put the wind up myself.

Goldentony

just saw the requirements for the unlimitd rocket launcher and there's less than no chance of me achieving this I reckon but Ferris has inspired me to give it a try

Ferris

Quote from: Goldentony on March 16, 2023, 09:49:20 PMjust saw the requirements for the unlimitd rocket launcher and there's less than no chance of me achieving this I reckon but Ferris has inspired me to give it a try

You don't have 2 quid handy? Get on the PlayStation store mate. Fuck spending hours of your life unlocking shit like a wanker.

Goldentony

oh fuck that im buying it, ferris continues to inspire

Goldentony

finished Leon A in four hours with an A rank, thanks unlimited ammo rocket launcher mate

Ferris