Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:43:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting places on the planet.

Started by Kryton, December 10, 2019, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

The northernmost city in the world is called Norilsk (Russia) and the second largest in the arctic circle after Murmansk. It's also one of the most toxic/polluted places on the planet. Built by slaves/prisoners, it has no roads leaving it besides a few smaller roads to surrounding towns (so, rail or plane only) and it's essentially an industrial city built around mining nickel and industry. Home to acid rain, smog, clouds of pollution, freezing storms and bitter cold. Utterly bleak. Less than 200,000 people live there.

1% of the world's sulphur dioxide is emitted from this city alone and is considered to be in the top 10 most polluted cities in the world. And of course being in the arctic circle it receives very little sunshine. Apparently trees refuse to grow in the area (no trees for 48km) with surrounding areas consisting of dead skeletal trees, bleak mountains and a fuck load of snowy wasteland.
In 2016 the nearby  Daldykan river turned red (presumably due to a leak from a smelting plant).

People living there are alleged to have a lower life expectancy by 10-15 years and twice as much chance of developing blood illnesses.

On the upside heavy metal pollution is so severe you can actually mine the sub-soil.

Oh and it has the most northernmost mosque in the world.

http://www.minesandcommunities.org/article.php?a=1409

Edit: a typo.

imitationleather

Interesting.

I still say Manchester is more grim though.

bgmnts

Not even the sickest Sim City player would design that piece of shit.

No offence to anyone here from Norlisk.

Kryton

Quote from: Danger Man on December 10, 2019, 11:34:07 PM
Or any Chinese city

Yeah I think China holds the record for the most polluted cities in the world. (Parts of India and Bangladesh not too far behind).

imitationleather

Quote from: gib on December 11, 2019, 12:07:27 AM
burj al babas

Finding your way home after a night out would be a massive undertaking.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: bgmnts on December 10, 2019, 11:32:37 PM
Not even the sickest Sim City player would design that piece of shit.

No offence to anyone here from Norlisk.

There is a Simcity 3000 challenge mission where you have to recover a city with an almost identical setup. Heavy pollution, no wildlife, poor infrastructure etc.

Thursday

Diomede Islands

Fairly unremarkable looking, but it's their relative location to each other

Which I think creates for one of the best sentences on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diomede_Islands

During winter, an ice bridge usually spans the distance between these two islands; therefore during such times it is theoretically possible (although not legal, since travel between the two islands is forbidden) to walk between the United States and Russia.

I'm going to fucking to do it one day, nobody can stop me.

famethrowa

Quote from: Thursday on December 11, 2019, 12:57:48 AM

I'm going to fucking to do it one day, nobody can stop me.

ehhh I think global warming's got ye fucked there my man

New folder

Quote from: imitationleather on December 10, 2019, 11:31:39 PM
I still say Manchester is more grim though.

I have relatives in Norilsk. And to be honest I agree.

touchingcloth

Dex Sawash

The molten core. Why don't you check it out?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Less than 200,000 people he says! That's still rather a lot of people, considering it's in the arsehole end of nowhere. Maybe there's some natural beauty in the surrounding area or something. Maybe they come to.....
Nah, sounds shite. I'm never going there .Thanks for the tip.

Bazooka

I booked an all inclusive package there with Thomas Cook, the buffet was cold, but generous.

greenman

Darvaza gas crater, Uzbekistan.

Soviet gas drilling collapsed a cave and sit it on fire in the 60's.

poo

Norton Canes

Inspector Norse

Interesting article on Norilsk

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/03/world/europe/norilsk-arctic.html

QuoteNatalia Karpushkina, a 42-year-old who runs a local walrus club

Gaz, Baz and Daz: not only the names of my best mates but all places in Iran too.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twatt,_Orkney

"Where should we forward your mail to, now that you've upped sticks and decided to seek a better life elsewhere?"
"I'm in Twatt"
"Oh"

NoSleep

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kryton on December 10, 2019, 11:28:35 PM
The northernmost city in the world is called Norilsk (Russia) and the second largest in the arctic circle after Murmansk. It's also one of the most toxic/polluted places on the planet. Built by slaves/prisoners, it has no roads leaving it besides a few smaller roads to surrounding towns (so, rail or plane only) and it's essentially an industrial city built around mining nickel and industry. Home to acid rain, smog, clouds of pollution, freezing storms and bitter cold. Utterly bleak. Less than 200,000 people live there.

1% of the world's sulphur dioxide is emitted from this city alone and is considered to be in the top 10 most polluted cities in the world. And of course being in the arctic circle it receives very little sunshine. Apparently trees refuse to grow in the area (no trees for 48km) with surrounding areas consisting of dead skeletal trees, bleak mountains and a fuck load of snowy wasteland.
In 2016 the nearby  Daldykan river turned red (presumably due to a leak from a smelting plant).

People living there are alleged to have a lower life expectancy by 10-15 years and twice as much chance of developing blood illnesses.

On the upside heavy metal pollution is so severe you can actually mine the sub-soil.

Oh and it has the most northernmost mosque in the world.

http://www.minesandcommunities.org/article.php?a=1409

Edit: a typo.

Welcome to Corbyn's Britain

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 11, 2019, 09:04:55 AM
Welcome to Corbyn's Britain

ridiculous statment

we aint got no minerals, or the spirit to mine them

Shoulders?-Stomach!