Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:55:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting places on the planet.

Started by Kryton, December 10, 2019, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

And just because it popped up in my feed:

Agbogbloshie - A commercial district in Accra (Ghana)
QuoteDue to its harsh living conditions and rampant crime, the area is nicknamed "Sodom and Gomorrah".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agbogbloshie

The biggest electronic dumping ground in the world. A former wetland and refugee camp and ghetto. Now a sprawl of waste and dumping grounds for foreign industrialised nations. With migrants coming to this place to perhaps claw out a living in copper, gold and other minerals extracted from waste components.

QuoteAgbogbloshie is a nickname of a commercial district on the Korle Lagoon of the Odaw River, near the center of Accra, Ghana's capital city.

A toxic, hazardous and dangerous place, lacking sanitation - 40,000 Ghanians call this home. Most people resort to scrap picking or crime. 80% of children have high levels of lead in their blood. With toxins permanently residing in the food chain.

It is said the vast amounts of discarded and recovered hard drives has led to large amounts of cyber crime coming from the discovery of passwords and credit card numbers and personal data on these drives.

QuoteGovernment contracts have been discovered on hard drives found in Agbogbloshie. Multimillion-dollar agreements from United States security institutions such as the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), the Transportation Security Administration and Homeland Security have all resurfaced in Agbogbloshie

I can't imagine anything as bleak as this. Even Norilsk on page 1 looks appealing compared to this wasteland.

NoSleep