Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:37:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I work with a man in his 50s who has never voted...

Started by ASFTSN, December 11, 2019, 09:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

...and also does not know who holds the office of Prime Minister, and can not name a Prime Minister apart from Thatcher. When someone mentioned Tony Blair he shouted "Oh yeah I've heard of that guy!". He didn't know there was a general election taking place tomorrow and when it was brought up said "What are they voting on?"

Nothing else to add, just wanted to see people's thoughts.

Cuellar

Get him voting Labour. He might as well, for all the difference it'll make to him.

momatt

It must be quite lovely, to be that blissfully ignorant.  One less thing to worry about, or make you angry, keeping you awake at night.
Good on him.

It's actually quite impressive if he's truly managed to avoid all the politics, there's loads of it and it's everywhere.

NoSleep

Quote from: Cuellar on December 11, 2019, 09:23:32 AM
Get him voting Labour. He might as well, for all the difference it'll make to him.

Possibly not registered... that you're talking to him.

ASFTSN

Quote from: momatt on December 11, 2019, 09:35:00 AM
It's actually quite impressive if he's truly managed to avoid all the politics, there's loads of it and it's everywhere.

He is annoyingly happy and positive...sort of makes sense now. He said "Maybe it's a strange way to live, but it works for me". He also said that he wouldn't comment on something he felt he was ignorant on...but he looked vaguely terrified as he said it that someone was going to lambast him for it.

Cuellar

Quote from: NoSleep on December 11, 2019, 09:39:00 AM

True - shame it didn't come up earlier, you could have been his proxy and just voted Labour anyway.

SavageHedgehog

I could kind of imagine myself ending up like this if I didn't find politics interesting in and of itself. I do seem to be able to tune things out when they just don't interest me. I had no idea about Leicester winning the Premier League a few years ago until months later for example, even though it was arguably the big human interest story of any kind at the time.

Does he have any big interests or areas of expertise?

ASFTSN

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on December 11, 2019, 09:43:49 AM
Does he have any big interests or areas of expertise?

Producing/graphic design in gaming.

EDIT: Also music production.

However he also doesn't know anything about music or games, by his own admission.

ASFTSN

Quote from: NoSleep on December 11, 2019, 09:39:00 AM

I can't think of anything less likely than this guy being registered to vote.

NoSleep

How do you produce music without knowing anything about music?

ASFTSN

Quote from: NoSleep on December 11, 2019, 09:54:15 AM
How do you produce music without knowing anything about music?

"I'm big into music, but I don't know names of bands."

ASFTSN

Quote from: Bazooka on December 11, 2019, 09:54:50 AM
Was he a prisoner of war?

No, although he has said he was very heavily Catholic when he was younger, before he became an atheist.

NoSleep

Quote from: ASFTSN on December 11, 2019, 09:59:03 AM
No, although he has said he was very heavily Catholic when he was younger, before he became an atheist.

Too many biblical names for him to take in.

NoSleep

colacentral

It's impossible to imagine this happening with younger people as social media ensures you get politics shoved down your throat whether you like it or not; whereas it would have been quite easy to avoid before by never reading a paper or watching TV news or any kind of satirical news programme.

SteveDave

Kill him. He's just taking up space and resources.

NoSleep

Quote from: colacentral on December 11, 2019, 10:08:00 AM
It's impossible to imagine this happening with younger people as social media ensures you get politics shoved down your throat whether you like it or not; whereas it would have been quite easy to avoid before by never reading a paper or watching TV news or any kind of satirical news programme.

And yet he's versed in using computers to produce graphics for games?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: ASFTSN on December 11, 2019, 09:49:28 AM
I can't think of anything less likely than this guy being registered to vote.

Have you ever shown him a photograph of Boris Johnson? Even within his blissfully ignorant bubble, Fat Savile's oleaginous face must be at least vaguely familiar to him.

Actually, don't do that. This guy sounds like he's living some kind of dream, you don't want to inflict Johnson's fizzog upon him. That could potentially set off a chain of events whereby he decides to get into politics and rapidly comes to the conclusion that we're all absolutely fucked as a species.

That's not something you want to suddenly become aware of at his age, the shock would probably kill him.

ASFTSN

Quote from: NoSleep on December 11, 2019, 10:14:21 AM
And yet he's versed in using computers to produce graphics for games?

Weeelllll....that's his background. He's not on the cutting edge.

NoSleep

Flatulent Fox

I've never voted and never will.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

It's a fkn pantomine and you may as well believe in weapons of mass destruction or want the wombles in 'power'.

Bronzy

The one and only person I have voted for and will ever vote for is Eoghan Quigg

Petey Pate

Does the guy still live with his parents and have his rent paid and food cooked for him?

poodlefaker

Was he aware of the Brexit referendum? Is he aware of the result?

Alberon

Icehaven

I've met people similar to this, they might have heard the names of a few politicians but they couldn't tell you what party they were in, what post they held or wether they were still in office, long since gone or dead. Surprises me how many people (who are old enough) have absolutely no recollection of John Smith dying, despite it being obviously huge news at the time.

Alberon

I know his death was 25 years ago but he does seem to have been largely forgotten. Admittedly my first memory when thinking of him is Alexei Sayle doing John Smith Man.

imitationleather

Having the most generic name possible was a terrible bit of branding.

Kids couldn't Google him even if they wanted to.