Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I work with a man in his 50s who has never voted...

Started by ASFTSN, December 11, 2019, 09:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

There's a guy in my local, mid 60's, who not only has never voted, but holds in contempt anyone who does so, or even believes in the electoral system on any level. "Don't vote!" he'll say. "It only encourages them!", as if it's some genius gnomic wisdom. "How do you know when a politician is lying?" he'll ask, eyes a-twinkling. "You can see their lips move!" It's a great stance to take because you get to look clever and above it all, whilst remaining entirely, bovinely ignorant regarding current affairs and not having to actually, you know, have an opinion and take part in meaningful debate. NEW PAGE VOTEY McVOTEFACE CUNT

ASFTSN

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 11, 2019, 01:10:34 PM
Does the guy still live with his parents and have his rent paid and food cooked for him?

No

checkoutgirl

Quote from: ASFTSN on December 11, 2019, 09:21:01 AM
Nothing else to add, just wanted to see people's thoughts.

The guy sounds like he has the intellectual curiosity of a parsnip. How do people like that find and maintain jobs in the human sector? How are they able to operate a fridge door to feast on the calories inside? How do they not get run over the first time they try to cross the road? What do they do all day?

Having said all that he's probably much happier than someone with the world on their shoulders. People who have no kids but still worry about juvenile diabetes. People with no stake in politics who are still depressed to learn Kim Jong Un tested a missile. Any additional information that I accidentally bump into that sheds light on who and what Boris Johnson is just makes me a bit sad.

Will there one day be classes run by this idiotic colleague of yours on how to ignore all that shit and just be happy?

Cloud

Leave him be, he'll only end up voting Tory.

TBH it's how I can imagine dealing with the "oh fuck it all to Hell" feeling myself when we get 5 more years of Tory rule on Friday.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Cloud on December 11, 2019, 02:09:20 PM
Leave him be, he'll only end up voting Tory.

I think this mindset is only a few nudges away from it, yeah. Especially when combined with money.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: momatt on December 11, 2019, 09:35:00 AM
It's actually quite impressive if he's truly managed to avoid all the politics, there's loads of it and it's everywhere.

Couldn't agree more. There are so many avenues now. Phone, tablet, laptop, TV, TV in a pub with Sky on it, radio, podcast, mp3, skatalite, carrier pigeon, parchment, newspaper, magazine, newsletter, email, someone shouting on a street corner. Etc.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: imitationleather on December 11, 2019, 01:52:00 PM
Having the most generic name possible was a terrible bit of branding.

Whereas Archbishop Desmond Tutu is the total opposite. The most unique name possible and almost too memorable if anything.

NoSleep

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 11, 2019, 02:33:57 PM
Whereas Archbishop Desmond Tutu is the total opposite. The most unique name possible and almost too memorable if anything.

Gyles "Fucking" Brandreth

Quote from: Flatulent Fox on December 11, 2019, 11:00:46 AM
want the wombles in 'power'.

I don't.  They framed Robert Napper over Rachel Nickell to protect Wellington.

Jockice

I have a cousin who I reckon is about 60 who proudly told me last time I saw him that he has never voted. He's also very racist - he uses the P word - despite his own dad having been an immigrant (a white European one, so that's alright) and regularly eating curry and Chinese food. I wouldn't touch that sort of stuff if you paid me, so maybe I'm the real racist, eh?

Jockice

Quote from: Utterdrivel on December 12, 2019, 11:52:56 AM
Not this curry nonsense again.

You're right. It is nonsense. People just pretend to like it. That's my genuine opinion.

Kryton

What other stuff is he oblivious about? 9/11? Mobile phones? Water?

Bazooka

I would generally like to meet this chap, and tell him "Sorry I'm late pal, my hover board needing charging" and he accepts.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bronzy on December 11, 2019, 11:30:59 AM
The one and only person I have voted for and will ever vote for is Eoghan Quigg

Returning in CGI form in the new Ghostbusters film.

Glebe

Quote from: ASFTSN on December 11, 2019, 09:21:01 AM...and also does not know who holds the office of Prime Minister, and can not name a Prime Minister apart from Thatcher. When someone mentioned Tony Blair he shouted "Oh yeah I've heard of that guy!". He didn't know there was a general election taking place tomorrow and when it was brought up said "What are they voting on?"

timebug

I have a friend who is almost fifty, who will state that 'I don't do politics' if a group of us are bemoaning whatever fuckup has recently occured. I pointed out to him that all life is politics,and is influenced by/ruled by/taken over by etc. He is happy in his apolitical stance,and the sort of dweeb who lets shit happen  by not opposing it!

jobotic

Last week i shook my head in disbelief and regarded this man mockingly. Now there is no one that I would rather be.

McFlymo

From about 2003, specifically after all the post-9/11, pro-War In Afghanistan / Iraq / WMD propaganda I was seeing on the news, I decided to stop reading newspapers or watching TV at all. I really hated adverts and 99% of TV anyway. I've mostly stuck to that plan, aside from the infectious and poisonous clutches of social media (and this place).