Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,393
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:30:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brown bread Bellamy

Started by Mr_Simnock, December 11, 2019, 11:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Shame, he must have been one of the first people to get me interested in wildlife and the environment

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hadn't seen him on TV for years but was a favourite of mine growing up and I used to do a decent impression of him.

Last interview I heard was him freely talking about experimenting with drugs to discover their effects. He was a classic eccentric, and possibly not the sort of person who would become a personality today.

Dewt

shiftwork2

Rode the crest of a sociological wave as naturism hit mainstream in Carry On Camping.  Also, well into beards wasn't he, massive beard the hipsters they have now should be so lucky as to grow one so large.  More seriously, an absolute lone voice for 'botany' and green issues while growing up.  Avuncular and engaging.  RIP.

ZoyzaSorris

liked him as a kid and indeed met him but he turned into a right wing loon didnt he?

He was great eating the condensed milk sandwiches on Swap Shop.

Who will I send my I-Spy books to now?

Butchers Blind

I'll always think of him riding on the back of a bumblebee.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on December 11, 2019, 11:49:51 PM
liked him as a kid and indeed met him but he turned into a right wing loon didnt he?
Not sure that he was very right-wing in general, but he had some very strange and wrong beliefs. He didn't believe in global warming, he opposed wind farms (which would be more justifiable if global warming wasn't real), and he stood as a candidate for the anti-EU Referendum Party (which didn't have any policies other than the eponymous one, but involved some very unpleasant people with very right-wing associations). He continued to be an active conservationist, just one who didn't believe in global warming, the biggest conservation issue of all time.

Still, sad news for anyone who grew up with omnipresent David Bellamy impersonations on TV.

Shaky

James... Bellamy... Beaumont next??? I can't take this anymore.

thenoise

Halcyon days when campaigning for a referendum on the EU was considered 'right wing'. He lived long enough to become a 'centrist'.

He was a lovable character and I presume he was dumped for his outspoken views on climate change rather than any right wing views - considering the similarly loveable old eccentric Patrick Moore was similarly righty of centre and nationalist views.

I guess it was difficult for him to be the BBC's resident expert on all things nature/the environment when his view on this issue was so out of kilter with mainstream scientific consensus (even then).

kalowski

Can I do my joke again:

Gwapple me gwave nuts.

Jockice

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 11, 2019, 11:39:09 PM
Hadn't seen him on TV for years but was a favourite of mine growing up and I used to do a decent impression of him.

Last interview I heard was him freely talking about experimenting with drugs to discover their effects. He was a classic eccentric, and possibly not the sort of person who would become a personality today.

Him and Magnus Pyke. Genuine mad scientists.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It is one of the great tragedies of my life that I don't think I'll ever be able to grow a beard quite so awesome, no matter how old I get. I can't even grow a decent pair of sideburns, there's a gap betwixt where the hairline ends and the facial hair begins. Look at this guy though, the hair reaches almost up to his EYES for fucks sake.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 12, 2019, 12:11:56 PM
Who will I send my I-Spy books to now?

I share your fear. Think I have just finished the one on coins that I got when I was 8.

Glebe

"Pwants!" There goes another childhood staple. RIP mate.

The Bellamy Rap.

Jockice

Quote from: Ian Drunken Smurf on December 12, 2019, 08:26:15 PM
I share your fear. Think I have just finished the one on coins that I got when I was 8.

I had I Spy Ships And Boats as a little kid. Now I did see the QE2 get launched as it was built in Clydebank and went down the River Clyde through Dumbarton but as I was two years and three days old at the time my memories of it are a bit limited. It might even be a Mandela Effect thing, as the entire population of the town was probably there and I've definitely been told that so was I. But after that I don't think I saw a single ship or boat until I was 12 and went on a cross channel ferry to France on a school trip. My uncle Jim was the captain of one of them I think but wasn't working the ones I went on. Shame, I could have shown off to the others on the trip and dragged them all into his cabin.

petril

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I bet that beard frequently nested fragments of biscuits.