Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are you a good person?

Started by Ferris, December 12, 2019, 01:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I think it's important to have a moral core, I think they used to call it honour in the old days, I still do.  A concept that occurs across many civilisations, maybe innate to humans, whatevs.  It means that you have your own idea of what is righteous and you hold yourself to it.  Always.  Though all else should fall away.  Very important to listen to that voice. 

And compassion, empathy, fucking necessary, things we cannot be without.

I'm not sure what many people mean by being good.  Giving something or giving up something that you can afford to give or don't mind losing, not treading on the cracks, takes little moral muscle.  This is the goodness of sheep.  And sheep are good of course but they're not humans.  To my mind, truly good people stand up to be counted when the room's gone quiet, they step up, no matter what the cost.  These are the heavy-lifters, these are the ones to learn from.  I think Corbyn's probably one, that's why I love him so.

Jockice

I'm okay if you like that sort of thing. I suppose.

thenoise

Yeah, they do scream a lot don't they? If you have refrained from yelling at them or storming out of the room then you're a stronger man than me.

Still, apparently 30% of babies under 1 are regularly hit by their parents, so at least I know there is a line I will never cross.

Neville Chamberlain

I'm thoroughly excellent in every respect.

Next!

imitationleather

Quote from: thenoise on December 12, 2019, 11:32:17 AM
Still, apparently 30% of babies under 1 are regularly hit by their parents, so at least I know there is a line I will never cross.

That's shocking. Hitting a baby won't even make them quiet anyway. You have to give them Xanax if you want that.

Dex Sawash

Yes but you couldn't eat a whole one

Ferris

Had a bit more of a think about it and reckon I'm great so we can close this thread out.

Cheers

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 12, 2019, 01:55:52 AM
and donate a good wedge to charity.

Sorry, you lose a Brownie point for telling us that. 

greenman

Surely it could be used by Oxfam to keep a door open?

Endicott

The last thing those old dears need is a draught!

Ferris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 12, 2019, 01:57:06 PM
Sorry, you lose a Brownie point for telling us that.

I only do it for the tax write-off and all. Complete bastard-ry.

Can you still be a good person if you spit in someone's face once?

kngen

A couple of months ago, I went absolutely apoplectic at some rich lawyer prick sat next to me at a bar who was telling me about buying up houses in the poorer part of town and jacking up the rents if he didn't like the tenants (who, given that they were poor and black, was probably all of them).

I don't think he, or any of the other patrons, had heard the word cunt yelled with such frequency and volume in their lives (it being America) unless they were big fans of Sexy Beast.

This isn't to boast. The point is that I was pretty fucking drunk, and thus my filter was non-existent and something inside me just snapped. I try to do the right thing for the most part, but it often feels like artifice to counteract the shard of pure, ugly misanthropy that lurks under the surface. This went some way to telling me, 'Hey, maybe I'm not so fucking bad after all.' Or, by just by the act of trying to be a better person, I'm actually modifying my instincts on a subconscious level (or directing my anger at the right targets, at the very least.)

Obviously, nothing actually changed in the world (other than that I'm pretty sure I'm barred from the place. Haven't been back to find out.) but it felt like a step in the right direction after the remorse and embarrassment ebbed away.

kittens

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 12, 2019, 04:19:59 PM
Can you still be a good person if you spit in someone's face once?

yeah and what if you pissed on someone when they were sleeping?

Ferris

Yes and no, but I won't reveal to which question those responses apply.

kittens

NoSleep

QDRPHNC

Dex Sawash

Small Man Big Horse

NoSleep

What's a heck list?

Is a citizen the same as a person?

Are you a good serial killer?

Buelligan

1.  A list for people without a potty mouth.

2.  It's better.

3.  If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

I fail on every single count there. RRR.

I need a good woman, to make me feel like a good man should.  I don't say I'm a good man, but I would be if I could.

Bazooka

I would never kill someone with a nut allergy using nuts, test passed.

gilbertharding

I'm lazy, vain, deceitful, and a massive hypocrite. But I know right from wrong (and what I am), and have lines I won't cross.

Why are you asking?

Ferris

I haven't left the office "on time" (5.30pm) since November. I've worked 55-62hr weeks since December.

I miss my son more than I can tell you.

Am I evil? I don't feel evil, just tired. He still recognizes me at the weekend and we play piano together and stuff. I just feel sad I don't get to spend more time with him. His first birthday is this weekend and I've done nothing about it. I'm heading home now and he be asleep so I've missed him for today.

I'm sorry; I'm just tired and sad. This can all be disregarded. I miss my son.

Cerys

Go in and see him anyway.  Just accept the fact that he will then refuse to go back to sleep.