Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New genre TV shows 2019

Started by surreal, December 14, 2019, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

I've been meaning to do a post about a few new genre shows I started watching (excluding the ones discussed in their own threads anyway), but wanted to give them a few episodes to either sink in or sink completely.  Anyway:

Emergence - This started off as being held up as the "new Lost".  Pilot was pretty good (child seemingly from nowhere found after a plane crash), and the cast was promising (Alison Tollman, Clancy Brown) but after the main conceit was revealed (the child is an AI robot thing) it's just gone really dull imho.
Chances of Season 2 - 8/10
Chance of me watching it - 4/10

Nancy Drew - re-imagining of small town / possibly supernatural mysteries with seemingly a connecting thread.  Honestly I watched one episode so I'm not really in a position to comment further but it clearly didn't grab me.  maybe I'll get there eventually when I'm bored or have more time.

Prodigal Son - oh god, the "I'm a cop but my dad is a reeeeeallllly bad serial killer" trope.  Main character is a profiler for the police, father was a serial killer now in prison, son has flashbacks and wonders if he's on the same path.  Oh, and his sister is a tv news reporter so daddy can keep up with case of the week on TV and offer insights.  Michael Sheen chewing the scenery as Hannibal Lecter-lite.  Still watching it but not sure why...
Chances of Season 2 - 8/10
Chance of me watching it - 7/10

Evil - this is the one that surprised me the most.  If it weren't for the off-putting subplots with Michael Emerson (ooh, he may be the devil, he's a psychologist, manipulating Incels and online Influencers) it's actually quiet effectively creepy with some good ideas, a good replacement for The Exorcist which only managed 2 short seasons.  Katja Herbers is lovely, Mike Colter (Luke Cage) is back too, and they have had some interesting main plot storylines so far.  I have good hopes for this one.  It's from the creators of The Good Wife so they have a track record of long-running drama.  Also featuring Boris McGiver occasionally, so between this and Stumptown it seems some Person of Interest cast members have done ok.
Chances of Season 2 - 7/10
Chance of me watching it - 10/10

Stumptown - based on a comic book following a former Marine who becomes a private eye in Portland Oregon .  Cobie Smulders in the lead role of Dex.  I like this one, there's a decent cast of side characters, un-challenging story of the week but it just has enough feel and energy about it to keep me interested.  Characters are damaged and self destructive, good 70s/80s soundtrack through the medium of Dex's car radio (which has a mixtape trapped in it that starts playing almost at random - it works better than it sounds)
Chances of Season 2 - 7/10
Chance of me watching it - 9/10

The Rookie - What Nathan Fillion did next.  Ok, so this is in the second season and I'm still watching it even though the first season was patchy and it still all feels a bit "worthy".  I'm sure that to get the co-operation of the LAPD they have had to promise to make them look good, so there's no edge to it.  Also 2 seasons in and I know precisely 2 character names.  Fillion is charming as usual, but he had to lose a fair bit of weight between S1 and 2 with all the running it seems!
Chances of Season 3 - 8/10
Chance of me watching it - 10/10

Treadstone - this is an extension of the Bourne universe.  Although I've only watched 2-3 episodes, it does seem something that has taken a fuzzy idea and found a way to expand on it.  Nice use of flashbacks and a good selection of locations plus some decent action - I really must give this another go soon.
Chances of Season 2 - 6/10
Chance of me watching it - 7/10

Anyone watched any of these, or any more I've missed?

Mister Six

They filmed bits of Evil around the corner from my place, so I'm half interested just to find out which bit (I'm guessing the same spookily lit red stone church that gets used in God Friended Me, a show I will definitely never watch). Still, I find it hard to get worked up about network shows these days. I already have a backlog of quality cable/streaming stuff to catch up on, and I don't have a network TV package so I'd have to actively pirate anything on CBS or whatever.

Is this really worth the effort? And how long is season one? I definitely don't want to lose my life to mammoth 22-episode seasons...

surreal

Don't think it's worth going out of your way for if you don't normally watch this stuff.  Network TV is never going to be as good as cable as it always gets diluted - I just thought it was better than average and had some good ideas.  Would like to see a cable version of it though.  I kind of take it for granted as I use showRSS for torrents and stuff just sort of... arrives.  TBH I really need to look at what I'm getting and start cutting back, I've been getting stuff that I really only have on in the background, not paying too much attention while watching so when things do break through that it's quite unusual.  Really I should be concentrating on better quality stuff, but paying more attention to it.  I have a bunch of "better" things that I have not started for that exact reason (Watchmen, Mr Robot, Halt and Catch Fire, etc)

gib

Stumptown was an enjoyable enough ride and the other one i took from the OP was The Rookie, to which i am now addicted.

Moribunderast

I've been watching Stumptown and Evil. Stumptown is passable filler, quite entertaining but nothing particularly substantial. I have REALLY enjoyed Evil, however. I am a huge fan of the Kings' other shows, Braindead, Good Fight and Good Wife and I think they write very good characters and have a great knack for fun episodic television. And yeah, there's horror moments that are genuinely tense and chilling which you rarely get on television these days.