Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:57:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT THREAD A MILLION

Started by idunnosomename, December 14, 2019, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

So no one is talking pure Brexit. Will we finally leave 31 Jan? Where will the Irish border be? Will the ERG continue to frustrate any not "real Brexit" scenarios? Will Farage fuck off? Blue passports? 50ps? Festival? Fish!

BREXIT TALK ONLY PLEASE

bgmnts

Would be really funny if Johnson gets so confused by his own web of lies he decides to stop Brexit.

BlodwynPig

idunnosomename

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 14, 2019, 08:15:20 PM
Too soon
spin it out with preemptive predictions. Never stopped anyone before

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on December 14, 2019, 08:15:04 PM
Would be really funny if Johnson gets so confused by his own web of lies he decides to stop Brexit.
thats why i voted conservative

With a heavy heart

I think it will probably completely disappear and nothing much will happen (whether the UK leaves or not) now that the media has used it to get Corbyn out of the way.

idunnosomename

I cant see how it wont affect small businesses who trade with europe. Daan saath academics - where theres been little political change - are shitting themselves, at least

Sin Agog

I feel like I'm at Book 12 of some gargantuan fantasy series and the realisation has suddenly dawned on me that it's all a load of made-up shite.  Millions of people getting het-up over a bloody concept.  I know it's more than that in reality- I mean half my family have buggered off to Lithuania as a direct consequence- but that's how it feels. 

idunnosomename

I mean im at the point where im like fuck it who cares as well; but isnt that what cchq wanted us to think? Isnt it still going to really smart?

Thing is the EU really want rid of us but they still hold all of Gove's proverbial cards.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 14, 2019, 08:22:43 PM
I feel like I'm at Book 12 of some gargantuan fantasy series and the realisation has suddenly dawned on me that it's all a load of made-up shite.  Millions of people getting het-up over a bloody concept.  I know it's more than that in reality- I mean half my family have buggered off to Lithuania as a direct consequence- but that's how it feels.

It turns out we were dead all along and waiting in purgatory for the next phase.

Endicott

I'm quite interested to know how Johnson will avoid a Customs Union without either repealing the GFA or stringing the process out for years while waiting for Ireland to unify. Anyone?

Paul Calf

I think he'll just ignore the GFA.

Endicott

I've had that thought as well and that does seem to be what's happened so far, but it hasn't played very well. It completely broke May, for example. So, how? It's the law. Even with a majority you can't pass conflicting legislation, can you?

idunnosomename

You can repeal it though, right? As far as I understand a new act can explicitly repeal an existing part of our constitution that conflicts with it

This is the majority May wanted for a hard-ass Brexit. Except that was for negotiating. This parliament can only really pass the amended Chequers deal, because the EU have had enough.

Endicott

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 15, 2019, 12:53:19 PM
You can repeal it though, right? As far as I understand a new act can explicitly repeal an existing part of our constitution that conflicts with it

This is the majority May wanted for a hard-ass Brexit. Except that was for negotiating. This parliament can only really pass the amended Chequers deal, because the EU have had enough.

Quote from: Endicott on December 15, 2019, 12:01:37 PM
I'm quite interested to know how Johnson will avoid a Customs Union without either repealing the GFA or stringing the process out for years while waiting for Ireland to unify. Anyone?

My point is I haven't heard anyone explicitly suggest repealing the GFA so far.

idunnosomename

Oh yeah sorry. Well he'll just do whatever he's advised by his team. I doubt Johnson really knows that much about parliamentary process since hes just a vanity MP and never really participated in the process of legislation

Zetetic

The Good Friday Agreement isn't a British law, it's an international treaty and a multi-party agreement. (Its implementation depends on several pieces of British law, most prominently the Human Rights Act 1998.)

It makes no specific arrangement for unilateral withdrawal. Legitimate reasons for withdrawal, in the context of "international law" (most explicitly the Vienna Conventions), would involve others violating their commitments under the agreement.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Zetetic on December 15, 2019, 01:33:15 PM
The Good Friday Agreement isn't a British law, it's an international treaty and a multi-party agreement. (Its implementation depends on several pieces of British law, most prominently the Human Rights Act 1998.)

It makes no specific arrangement for unilateral withdrawal. Legitimate reasons for withdrawal, in the context of "international law" (most explicitly the Vienna Conventions), would involve others violating their commitments under the agreement.

MI6: "Will a fake IRA bombing campaign do?"

Funcrusher

Is the GFA still a problem now Johnson has agreed to a border in the Irish Sea?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Funcrusher on December 15, 2019, 03:12:37 PM
Is the GFA still a problem now Johnson has agreed to a border in the Irish Sea?
thats why i think im confused. The only reason the May government got stuck was because they were stuck with Unionists propping them up. Now we can just sell NI down the line, wreck the Union, cripple them with tariffs and probably ask for some of the bungs back too

Ho ho ho!

bgmnts

Are they going to build that bridge from Northern Ireland to Scotland?

Funcrusher

Brexiteer's really do have no principles and no plan whatsoever. The ERG twats said they would follow whatever the DUP wanted, then caved and went with the border in the Irish Sea. Farage farted on about how Johnson's deal wasn't Brexit, then stood down the BP in Tory seats and has yet to mention it again. The ERG position seems to be that they won't stand for harmonisation with EU standards, but it's speculated that Johnson will cave to this for single market access.

Barry Admin

Oops I accidentally locked this when I stickied it, apologies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50818134

QuoteThe government is to add a new clause to the Brexit bill to make it illegal for parliament to extend the process beyond the end of next year.

The post-Brexit transition period - due to conclude in December 2020 -  can currently be extended by mutual agreement for up to two years.

But an amended Withdrawal Agreement Bill the Commons is set to vote on this week would rule out any extension.

Critics say this raises the chance of leaving the EU without a trade deal.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 15, 2019, 03:22:40 PM
thats why i think im confused. The only reason the May government got stuck was because they were stuck with Unionists propping them up. Now we can just sell NI down the line, wreck the Union, cripple them with tariffs and probably ask for some of the bungs back too

Ho ho ho!

GFA is fine if Ireland is all under EU rules, so no problem there. That needs a border in the sea though and that's what the bigots were objecting to, but they don't matter any more. Irish reunification ref soon, just hope they don't have it before scots one or else bigots will all scurry over to their kin in Ayrshire to be safe from Kaflik persecution.

Zetetic

The "border in the sea" is also, arguably, a problem for the Good Friday Agreement, insofar as it unilaterally radically alters Northern Ireland's status with respect to the Union with Great Britain.

Whether any of the Unionist parties can pursue this through the British courts to any end...  I've absolutely no idea.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Zetetic on December 17, 2019, 11:16:23 PM
The "border in the sea" is also, arguably, a problem for the Good Friday Agreement, insofar as it unilaterally radically alters Northern Ireland's status with respect to the Union with Great Britain.

Whether any of the Unionist parties can pursue this through the British courts to any end...  I've absolutely no idea.

I agree it's a problem for the Unionists but i don't think it's explicitly referenced in the GFA.

idunnosomename

i genuinely feel worried for people in NI as an immediate consequence of this landslide

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 17, 2019, 11:20:52 PM
i genuinely feel worried for people in NI as an immediate consequence of this landslide

Why worried? Seems to me like they have a better set of options than other areas of the UK.

idunnosomename

um true, being nominally in the EU might be better but they'll have tariffs from Britain

but fucking hell, you aint gonna "get Brexit done" you Balliol bumfucker

Zetetic

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 17, 2019, 11:19:54 PM
I agree it's a problem for the Unionists but i don't think it's explicitly referenced in the GFA.
What isn't explicitly referenced?