Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT THREAD A MILLION

Started by idunnosomename, December 14, 2019, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on January 13, 2020, 03:24:56 PM
Of course, but respecting the referendum result was to me an essential part of any party that actually wanted to be elected. Losing seats that have been Labour for a century should be a real kick up the arse. Blaming the press can only go so far, as the anti-Corbyn rhetoric was just as fierce in 2017 and Labour gained seats.

But going full on hard brexit would have also lost us the election. Trying to give everyone a solution they could accept was decent attempt at keeping the party and its electorate together. The point was to put the blame for our woes firmly where it belongs - with the tories.

QuoteThe main difference was capitulating to the People's Vote nonsense. Remember that Corbyn and Denis Skinner have been fiercely anti-EU almost their entire political career.

As to Corbyn's historic Euroscepticism, you should listen to those who know him:

Novara meet Yanis Varoufakis live at The World Transformed: https://youtu.be/9Ck0Jg92bPk?t=14m36s

Zetetic

How must we respect the referendum result?

Patriotically.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on January 14, 2020, 07:51:00 AM
How must we respect the referendum result?

Patriotically.

Goose steppingly

phantom_power

Trying to please both sides and come up with some sort of compromise was the sensible approach, and as such was rejected by both sides. Depsite the result being about as close as you can get meaning there was a division right down the country, both sides were sure they were right and the only way forward. The press and other critics called it wishywashy or non-committal. I think it was literally a no-win situation that had Labour fucked from the moment the referendum was called

Quote from: phantom_power on January 14, 2020, 10:10:15 AM
Trying to please both sides and come up with some sort of compromise was the sensible approach, and as such was rejected by both sides. Depsite the result being about as close as you can get meaning there was a division right down the country, both sides were sure they were right and the only way forward. The press and other critics called it wishywashy or non-committal. I think it was literally a no-win situation that had Labour fucked from the moment the referendum was called

Yeah. As soon as the election was predicated on Brexit (which the Tories made damn sure about), Labour could never have won that election.  By constituency, there were just too many Leave seats.  Adopting an overt Leave stance might have helped maintain their heartlands, but could easily have lost them seats to Lib Dems in the cities; adopting an overt Remain stance probably wouldn't have changed the result much.

For Labour to succeed, they really needed to put the Brexit question to bed before an election.  I still personally think that, had Corbyn stepped aside to allow a neutral player to lead a six month long Government of national unity, while the opposition still had some power, things might have worked out differently.  It would've been important for Corbyn not to have his fingerprints over whatever Brexit ended up as, so he couldn't take credit or blame for it during the subsequent election campaign.  A pawn like Ken Clarke or Caroline Lucas would have been fine just to see that period through, and, with a softer Brexit deal already agreed, Corbyn may have been in a great position to win the next election.  Still, the Lib Dems fucked it all up by coming out in favour of an election, the only positive being that they flushed themselves down the shitter in the process.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 14, 2020, 07:38:38 AM
Novara meet Yanis Varoufakis live at The World Transformed: https://youtu.be/9Ck0Jg92bPk?t=14m36s

Yanis is likeable, engaging, intelligent and exudes trust, and believes in all the right stuff.  Is it too much to ask for a Labour leader of that calibre?  I don't see any of the candidates anywhere near that.  Yanis for PM!

pigamus

I was very into all that Ken Clarke Rebel Alliance stuff at the time - it was enjoyable Fantasy Football stuff - but I think the voters would have ended up punishing us for that even more than they did in December had we pulled it off.

Captain Z

Quote from: Mark Francois'I've already offered to go up Big Ben myself, ably assisted by Bill Cash, to ring the bell myself to save money.

Quite happy for him to try going up there without the temporary floor tbh.

pigamus

Yeah'll I'll bung a bit of a bob for the bullshitting bastard to break his back

Did we already do the "but it can only support the weight of one giant bell" gag?

Fambo Number Mive

Something else Johnson appears to have spoken incorrectly about regarding Brexit:

QuoteThere will be border checks on trade inside the UK under the Brexit deal negotiated by Boris Johnson, the EU's chief negotiator has said.

Michel Barnier confirmed there would be "checks and controls" between Britain and Northern Ireland under the agreement that will govern the UK's exit from the EU.

Boris Johnson falsely claimed several times during the general election campaign that there would be no checks on the Irish sea, and was accused by the opposition of lying.

Whether the prime minister had misunderstood the agreement he had signed or was indeed lying to the public, the text of the deal signed in November is clear that there will indeed be checks.

"The implementation of this foresees checks and controls entering the island of Ireland," Mr Barnier said during a sitting of the European Parliament...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-deal-border-check-boris-johnson-uk-eu-barnier-northern-ireland-goods-a9283686.html

Dex Sawash

bgmnts

Postponed due to waterlogged pitch.

idunnosomename

It's all down to the Queen now. I have faith she will stand up to Boris this time and make him see the errors of his ways. It will be her finest hour: when Elizabeth II stops Brexit.

phantom_power

If the Queen did step in and cancel it "for the good of the people" it would make a lot of Brexiteers explode as I imagine the Venn diagram of Brexit and Queen fans is pretty much a circle

Leo2112

Bill passed yesterday with all of the House of Lords amendments overturned https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/22/government-condemned-for-rejecting-lords-child-refugee-dubs-amendment  Begs question once again of what the point of HoL is.

jobotic

You're a WINNER Paulie.

You must be very proud. Well done you.

Paul Calf

Pseudopath

Blimey...the size of that butt plug.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 24, 2020, 07:40:51 PM
Blimey...the size of that butt plug.

No way to talk about our Great Leader

katzenjammer

Nice of our little leaver friend to give us a full list of the tangible benefits of brexit there ^

jobotic

They're called Tommy Robinsons now

Pseudopath

NEW MINIMUM WAGE ANNOUNCED

That's my nightmares sorted out for the next few years.

idunnosomename

god i cant even bring myself to make fun of it, it seems so fbpe. but fuck. it does look like he's falling into Mount Doom.

NoSleep

He looks like the cover of In The Court Of The Crimson King.

idunnosomename

more like the inner gatefold, surely