Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT THREAD A MILLION

Started by idunnosomename, December 14, 2019, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Zetetic on December 18, 2019, 07:34:34 AM
What isn't explicitly referenced?

Having a customs border between NI and the UK. As I understand it, there's nothing in the GFA that explicitly states that can't happen, unlike having an inland border between the Ireland and NI, which is explicitly referenced in the GFA.....I think.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: bgmnts on December 15, 2019, 03:25:08 PM
Are they going to build that bridge from Northern Ireland to Scotland?

They literally can't even if they tried. There's a huge trench between Scotland and Ireland full of disposed munitions and nuclear waste.

Replies From View

Maybe with a bit more global warming we can just dry up that stretch of water and a bridge won't be needed.

If a bridge is needed I wonder if Joanna Lumley is still interested in administrating it.

Zetetic

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 18, 2019, 04:16:55 PM
unlike having an inland border between the Ireland and NI, which is explicitly referenced in the GFA.....I think.
It isn't (I think). There's stuff that makes physical infrastructure for such a border difficult though.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Replies From View on December 18, 2019, 05:43:47 PM
Maybe with a bit more global warming we can just dry up that stretch of water and a bridge won't be needed.

If a bridge is needed I wonder if Joanna Lumley is still interested in administrating it.

I fear you may have entirely misconstrued the effects of global warming on sea levels.

Sin Agog

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 19, 2019, 02:17:57 AM
I fear you may have entirely misconstrued the effects of global warming on sea levels.

It's what I keep telling everyone: evaporation and the melted ice caps will cancel each other out.  Shit will carry on exactly the way it was before.  All this brouhaha is a ploy to increase Dutch anxiety levels.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 19, 2019, 02:23:34 AM
It's what I keep telling everyone: evaporation and the melted ice caps will cancel each other out.  Shit will carry on exactly the way it was before.  All this brouhaha is a ploy to increase Dutch anxiety levels.

Yes but they are very tall...

QuoteWera Hobhouse MP 🔶
@Wera_Hobhouse
· 9h
Today #WithdrawalAgreementBill will pass #HouseofCommons easily with #Tory MPs all voting for it.

Hopes @BorisJohnson bringing country together immediately dashed

Govt pursuing a #HardBrexit. Parliament will have little say. Sad day for #democracy

Sad day for democracy

:(

If only there was a democratic process we could follow!

Uncle TechTip

You can see the real reason the ERG objected to May's deal. It didn't tear up enough safeguards of our rights. Now, through the cover of a new mandate, they can remove any protection they like. I hope it's clear to the DUP that they were used as pretend justification to reject the last deal - which did put level playing field at the heart of it.

jobotic

The dream of not having to hire women as they might get pregnant is one step closer.

Paul Calf

As is the dream of scrapping all pretence of diversity, going for all-out nepotism and hiring your mate as COO on a seven-figure salary because he bagged you spots in the more prestigious university societies and you, like, owe him one even though he doesn't have a clue what your company does let alone how to do the job you've given him so the company will stagger on propped up by minions until its  inevitable collapse, owing millions in public money.

*cough* DavidCameronCarltonTV*cough+

Fambo Number Mive

The Giggling Bean

One thing that's constantly raised is the scrapping of workers rights. How would that actually work though. Would Johnson stand outside number 10 one day and say "from now on you don't get weekends off, work days are increasing to 10 hours, wer'e scrapping holiday entitlement and abolishing paternity and maternity leave." Since all those things are taken for granted how would they be able to get away with those sorts of changes. As apathetic as we are I can't see them getting away with that easily...I'm not saying they won't try but it gives Labour/Lib Dems their first popular policies come the next election.

Also what would happen if companies decided to ignore it and continue as is.

BlodwynPig

NoSleep

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on December 22, 2019, 09:33:21 AM
Also what would happen if companies decided to ignore it and continue as is.

Leaving it up to them is precisely the problem.

Zetetic

Removing legislation on breaks, leave entitlements, etc might not affect huge swathes of people at once - it would gradually affect more and more people as they changed jobs, companies reviewed contracts or perhaps simply when people tried to exercise their rights.

QuoteAlso what would happen if companies decided to ignore it and continue as is.
Some companies, as they do now, would offer better than minimum terms. But this would be the exception.

idunnosomename

Market it as freedom from pesky red tape

evilcommiedictator

Have they worked out what is going to happen with Gibraltar yet? Nice little Empire you've got there, shame if anything might happen to it

idunnosomename

Downing street source: who gives a fuck

Replies From View

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 19, 2019, 02:17:57 AM

Jennifer Saunders then.

pancreas

Johnson sets a hard deadline for leaving the EU. Barnier says it's not possible. City of London will almost certainly lose passporting rights, so there's no way to stop the banks from leaving, which is the only thing they ever cared about anyway. We're going for a No Deal, aren't we? With something arranged for the US to jump in and supply us with all their shitty food. So within a year, we'll be the 51st State of the US. That's their plan, isn't it?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on December 22, 2019, 01:16:17 PM
Johnson sets a hard deadline for leaving the EU. Barnier says it's not possible. City of London will almost certainly lose passporting rights, so there's no way to stop the banks from leaving, which is the only thing they ever cared about anyway. We're going for a No Deal, aren't we? With something arranged for the US to jump in and supply us with all their shitty food. So within a year, we'll be the 51st State of the US. That's their plan, isn't it?

Indeed. It's congruent with the relaxed attitude to selling off sensitive military projects to a foreign power.

BlodwynPig

RIOT

RIOT NOW

CHRISTMAS DAY RIOTS!!!!!

Paul Calf

You could stop them leaving by giving them literally everything: finish the job started by the credit crunch.

Make binding laws that prioritise profits over human life? No problem. Entire estate of the Duchy of Westminster transferred to the livery companies? You've got it. Pay people in your proprietary currency only valid in your businesses? Would you like me to put ice cubes in first?

Boom! Absolute feudalist monarchy by 2025.

Replies From View

Question:  how reversible will this shitfest be in the long term?

Sin Agog

Ye Gods would it be something if this government were trapped in an exclusive trade deal with a Bernie Sanders-led U.S.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 22, 2019, 05:31:52 PM
Ye Gods would it be something if this government were trapped in an exclusive trade deal with a Bernie Sanders-led U.S.

This is actually the one hope.  But will Sanders be able to change so much?

colacentral

It's now the least bad future we can hope for but yeah, the president can't really change much, can he?