Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:00:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT THREAD A MILLION

Started by idunnosomename, December 14, 2019, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 14, 2020, 08:36:01 PM
The liberals "all five former British Prime ministers are against it " line that Stephen Kinnock just mentioned doesn't really work, as the last five British Prime Ministers were rubbish (not so much Gordon Brown perhaps, but the other four were dreadful).

Particularly Blair and Major, people can just say "How dare the man who gave us Iraq/Maastrict/the worst Tory  seat loss since 1906 say that"

The bill is terrible and should be voted against, but who cares what Cameron, Blair and co think.

That's not really the point. The point is they all agree, Labour or Tory, meaning it's much harder to paint as a partisan issue.

imitationleather

All these Tory lickspittle shitcunt MPs are going to make noises about having concerns and then just back the bill anyway.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pigamus on September 14, 2020, 09:27:15 PM
That's not really the point. The point is they all agree, Labour or Tory, meaning it's much harder to paint as a partisan issue.

The 'rebel against the establishment' picture, on the other hand, is easier to paint.

Fambo Number Mive

Some truly disturbing speeches by Tory MPs, some of whom make it sound like we are fighting a war with the EU.

It does also sound like some Tory MPs are reading out words they haven't written.

imitationleather

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on September 14, 2020, 09:30:59 PM
The 'rebel against the establishment' picture, on the other hand, is easier to paint.

Indeed. Also: Did those former PMs back Leave or Remain? Hmmm...

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 14, 2020, 09:38:16 PM
Some truly disturbing speeches by Tory MPs, some of whom make it sound like we are fighting a war with the EU.

It does also sound like some Tory MPs are reading out words they haven't written.

How can you bear to listen to it?

They have no self-respect do they?

Do what Cummings tells you, no questions.

Yes Sir, I will.

Fambo Number Mive

Michael Gove patronising Ian Blackford in his summing up.

Some very good speeches from the opposition benches, in particular Labour and SNP.

Not sure if Lee Anderson or Alexander Stafford gave the most intense Tory speech.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 14, 2020, 08:36:01 PM
The liberals "all five former British Prime ministers are against it " line that Stephen Kinnock just mentioned doesn't really work, as the last five British Prime Ministers were rubbish (not so much Gordon Brown perhaps, but the other four were dreadful).

Particularly Blair and Major, people can just say "How dare the man who gave us Iraq/Maastrict/the worst Tory  seat loss since 1906 say that"

The bill is terrible and should be voted against, but who cares what Cameron, Blair and co think.
It's all horribly reminiscent of Cameron and Brown flying into Scotland to save the Union. But they were successful, right?

Danger Man

Quote from: imitationleather on September 14, 2020, 09:29:53 PM
All these Tory lickspittle shitcunt MPs are going to make noises about having concerns and then just back the bill anyway.

Yup

MPs have voted to approve the internal market bill at its second reading, with a government majority of 77, despite concerns it would give Boris Johnson's government the power to override parts of the withdrawal agreement and could breach international law.

Ayes: 340

Noes: 263

Bence Fekete

Break a law? Make a new one. Easy game.

SpiderChrist

The party of law and order are prepared to break the law.
The party of fiscal responsibility are prepared to tank the economy.

I mean it would be funny if it wasn't so anxiety inducing.

Danger Man

My first thought when watching the vote last night was "Fucking hell......looks like Paul Calf is right"

Mr_Simnock

So if this makes it all the way to 'law' then it will be fun to watch this government enter into a discussion on anything with another country only for them to turn around and say, every single time, 'are you just going to trash\cancel this with legislation?'. It wil hamper them for years this, nob heads.

Paul Calf

Yeah, but of course it won't affect the people who are doing it. They'll get their payoff and convert it into a form that won't be utterly worthless by next summer. We'll pay for it.

Buy Euros and dollars. If this government signals their willingess to break agreements, the pound won't be a hard currency for much longer.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on September 15, 2020, 12:15:27 PM
So if this makes it all the way to 'law' then it will be fun to watch this government enter into a discussion on anything with another country only for them to turn around and say, every single time, 'are you just going to trash\cancel this with legislation?'. It wil hamper them for years this, nob heads.

Yes, but that's the intention. To be forever bickering with Johnny Foreigner to rile up the base.

Paul Calf

Pretty soon they'll start doing what all autocrats do: silencing, ruining and imprisoning people who don't keep their mouths shut. Hate speech laws and arrests for posting details of protests on social media are just the start.

I'm fully aware that if they do that, I'm probably fucked.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 15, 2020, 12:26:43 PM
Pretty soon they'll start doing what all autocrats do: silencing, ruining and imprisoning people who don't keep their mouths shut. Hate speech laws and arrests for posting details of protests on social media are just the start.

I'm fully aware that if they do that, I'm probably fucked.

I think your fave hobby in life is to sit there dreaming up dystopian futures to keep your self all anxious and worried, you wouldn't know what to do with yourself if you were actually happy for 5 minutes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on September 15, 2020, 12:45:25 PM
I think your fave hobby in life is to sit there dreaming up dystopian futures to keep your self all anxious and worried, you wouldn't know what to do with yourself if you were actually happy for 5 minutes.

One person's happiness is another person's existential descent into the bowels of hell.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 15, 2020, 12:55:22 PM
One person's happiness is another person's existential descent into the bowels of hell.

Have you decided to take that job then?

Danger Man

As all his predictions are coming true I'm guessing he's never felt happier.

Paul Calf

Making enough to support yourself yet, mate? Might want to concentrate on that.

bgmnts

Thats what "they" want, happily wandering around like grinning, docile cows.

BlodwynPig

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 15, 2020, 01:30:27 PM
Making enough to support yourself yet, mate? Might want to concentrate on that.

oh lol

Ray Travez

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 15, 2020, 12:21:07 PM
Buy Euros and dollars. If this government signals their willingess to break agreements, the pound won't be a hard currency for much longer.

I think the dollar and euro are fucked too. The pound's probably going to implode sooner, is all.

Sometimes feels like everything's just a chip in someone else's poker game...

Paul Calf

Ray Travez

I'd guess at gold, but who knows?

bgmnts

The only currency worth shit soon will be methane gas, a la Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.