Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT THREAD A MILLION

Started by idunnosomename, December 14, 2019, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I look forward to the government informing me I am a rich energy source and that they'll be selling me off to Cuadrilla.

bgmnts

So what does this Internal Market Bill actually mean? Does this fuck over Scotland and Wales?

Ray Travez

Cuellar

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 03:02:45 PM
So what does this Internal Market Bill actually mean? Does this fuck over Scotland and Wales?

Been trying to find this out myself, can't get a straight answer from any article. The Northern Ireland Protocol in the Withdrawal Agreement says, as far as I can glean, that NI is still going to be aligned to EU goods regulations so there's no need for a hard border on the island. This means goods coming from Great Britain INTO Northern Ireland WOULD be subject to checks etc.

So the Internal Market Bill wants to be able to alter/ignore entirely the Northern Ireland Protocol - I think. Can't find anything that actually lays out specific examples of what the Internal Market Bill would allow the government to do in Northern Ireland, and Wales and Scotland.

bgmnts

Quote from: Cuellar on September 15, 2020, 03:17:25 PM
Been trying to find this out myself, can't get a straight answer from any article. The Northern Ireland Protocol in the Withdrawal Agreement says, as far as I can glean, that NI is still going to be aligned to EU goods regulations so there's no need for a hard border on the island. This means goods coming from Great Britain INTO Northern Ireland WOULD be subject to checks etc.

So the Internal Market Bill wants to be able to alter/ignore entirely the Northern Ireland Protocol - I think. Can't find anything that actually lays out specific examples of what the Internal Market Bill would allow the government to do in Northern Ireland, and Wales and Scotland.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/internal-market-bill

This laid it out in layman's terms but I still am not 100% sure what the real world applications are.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 02:45:15 PM
The only currency worth shit soon will be methane gas, a la Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
time to annex france

Danger Man

Quote from: Ray Travez on September 15, 2020, 03:04:09 PM
As a store of value or a speculation?

(either way, I'm not a crypto guy.)

You have to speculum to accumulum....

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2020, 02:47:04 PM
I look forward to the government informing me I am a rich energy source and that they'll be selling me off to Cuadrilla.

Sebastian Cobb

olliebean

Quote from: Cuellar on September 15, 2020, 03:17:25 PM

Looking at the explainer that bgmnts posted a link to, the issue seems to be that it gives the UK government exclusive power to exercise state aid powers, including in Scotland and Wales. So the Scottish and Welsh parliaments would have no say over what businesses they could give subsidies to, or withhold subsidies from. (Presumably in NI as well.)

Fambo Number Mive

Emma Kennedy also tweeted "Fuck rule of 6 everyone, govt just voted to break law". Which is such a stupid argument. As someone on Twitter replies, " Let's not all go and behave like arseholes just because we're governed by [arseholes]".

Zetetic

Quote from: olliebean on September 15, 2020, 07:06:22 PM
Looking at the explainer that bgmnts posted a link to, the issue seems to be that it gives the UK government exclusive power to exercise state aid powers, including in Scotland and Wales. So the Scottish and Welsh [Governments] would have no say over what businesses they could give subsidies to, or withhold subsidies from. (Presumably in NI as well.)

And there's issues around it enabling Westminster to direct funding to projects that the devolved governments have rejected, such as the M4 stuff in south Wales.

idunnosomename

For someone who apparently has no political beliefs whatsoever she does bang on about politics an incredible amount

I believe private property is theft and no one should live in poverty. Emma just thinks the Queen was brill for filming that bit with Daniel Craig.

Pink Gregory

It's impossible to have no political beliefs.  That's the melt mindset though, no apparent values or beliefs beyond wanting to be right.

imitationleather

She had so few political beliefs she ended up joining the Lib Dems last year.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: imitationleather on September 15, 2020, 07:58:05 PM
She had so few political beliefs she ended up joining the Lib Dems last year.

perfect party for her then

Shoulders?-Stomach!

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on September 15, 2020, 10:23:12 PM
perfect party for her then
no wonder she's happy to do a selfie with Michael Gove. if i was in the presence of his daemonic aura pretty sure I would shit my pants and vomit on him

BlodwynPig

As night follows day, boris willing to compromise now on the bill.

The games that people fall for

Fishfinger

Quote from: Zetetic on September 15, 2020, 07:29:49 PM
And there's issues around it enabling Westminster to direct funding to projects that the devolved governments have rejected, such as the M4 stuff in south Wales.

Going by Ed Miliband's speech Monday night, and Ian Blackford's early intervention, I think another issue is that Scotland, Wales and NI could be forced to accept lower food and other standards (animal welfare, certain environmental protections), if legislated for in Westminster. This apparently constitutes a violation of the devolution settlements - because these are devolved powers - but also disregards that there's been progress made over the last few months to create common frameworks that could be set in legislation, and are not part of this Bill.

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 15, 2020, 12:26:43 PM
Pretty soon they'll start doing what all autocrats do: silencing, ruining and imprisoning people who don't keep their mouths shut. Hate speech laws and arrests for posting details of protests on social media are just the start.

I'm fully aware that if they do that, I'm probably fucked.

Expect a lot more tweets describing BLM and XR as terrorists, all coordinated. By this time next year trade unions will be described as such too, and it'll be illegal to take any sort of collective action. Then any opposition to Cummings will be too.

I just hope some of the centrists who will happily wave this through get caught up in it as well. They lit the fire but they'll be shocked and outraged if they burn in it.

Cuellar

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 03:35:47 PM
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/internal-market-bill

This laid it out in layman's terms but I still am not 100% sure what the real world applications are.

Ta for this, I was trying to use newspapers to get an explanation! That'll teach me.

Looking at the explainer that bgmnts posted a link to, the issue seems to be that it gives the UK government exclusive power to exercise state aid powers, including in Scotland and Wales. So the Scottish and Welsh parliaments would have no say over what businesses they could give subsidies to, or withhold subsidies from. (Presumably in NI as well.)

So it 'strengthens the union' by destroying devolution. I'm sure that'll be fine.

steve98

REES-MOGG SELF-ISOLATES AFTER CHILDREN TEST POSITIVE FOR GONORRHEA.

idunnosomename

Gonorrhea? I hardly knew them!

dissolute ocelot

I can't figure out if the issue is that the Scottish and Welsh parliaments will be losing powers they currently have, or if it's the case that powers that are currently with Brussels will be going to Westminster not Holyrood/Cardiff and that's what they're angry about. (State aid and single market are currently largely regulated by the EU, but maybe not entirely?)

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: jobotic on September 16, 2020, 10:21:07 AM
Expect a lot more tweets describing BLM and XR as terrorists, all coordinated. By this time next year trade unions will be described as such too, and it'll be illegal to take any sort of collective action. Then any opposition to Cummings will be too.

I just hope some of the centrists who will happily wave this through get caught up in it as well. They lit the fire but they'll be shocked and outraged if they burn in it.

This doesn't look good for the Centrists.

Gulftastic

Raab lying his arse off on CNN. The possible Ireland problem is all the fault of those pesky forrins.

Paul Calf

Big Lie politics. If it helps, remember that the people who coined that term ended up slaughtering each other in a trench underneath Berlin.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteExporters to the EU face 7,000-truck-long queues in Kent and two-day delays to trade after the Brexit transition period ends, the government has warned.

Imports will also be disrupted in January, according to a letter from cabinet minister Michael Gove to the freight industry, seen by BBC News.

It also raises the prospect of a winter spike in Covid-19 leading to absences of port and border staff.

The transition period is due to expire at the end of the year.

Mr Gove, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, responsible for no-deal planning, wrote to logistics groups with the government's "reasonable worst-case scenario" planning for when the UK leaves the EU's single market and customs union rules on 1 January.

He will outline the scenario, which the Cabinet Office stressed is not a forecast, in the House of Commons later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54260470

I'm sure lorry drivers will think sitting in a 7,000 long queue of vehicles is worth it for blue passports. I wonder how many will turn their engines off - it's not good for the environment.

Phil_A

Just had a very sobering Brexit update from work - short version is the possibility of us not being totally fucked come January is getting increasingly slim, no-one still knows anything, they're still trying to figure out what services could potentially be disrupted when we essentially become a third world country. All our Data Protection agreements with EU countries basically go in the bin.

I feel like Covid is going to end up seeming like a welcome distraction from the other disaster that's heading our way. I've already started mentally trying to figure out how much tinned food I would realistically need to survive if/when supply chains go into meltdown

And to think this has all happened because some greedy fucking cunts didn't want to pay their taxes. Fucking hell, eh, fucking hell.