Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:19:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT THREAD A MILLION

Started by idunnosomename, December 14, 2019, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 23, 2020, 10:20:31 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54260470

I'm sure lorry drivers will think sitting in a 7,000 long queue of vehicles is worth it for blue passports. I wonder how many will turn their engines off - it's not good for the environment.

So glad I live in the Garden of England.

Captain Z

I can't picture 7,000-long truck queues, what's that in double-decker buses?

Bleeding Kansas

7,000-long truck queue = Sovereignty Convoys

Pink Gregory

Land army of cigarette girls and piemen brought up from the country towns.

Actually, the motorway down there is four lanes wide, so the queues will only be 1,750 lorries long.

STOP TALKING THIS COUNTRY DOWN.

petercussing

Operation Brock, where they park lorries on the motorway, reduces it to two lanes so it's only 3500 long

stop talking our operation brock down!

Sebastian Cobb

Fucking lol an actual police border around Kent.

NEW Gove confirms a de facto internal border in Kent - rephrasing previous tweet (this is something transport industry been v worried about)

Truckers will have to have a "Kent Access Permit" to get into the county says Gove. It will use police and ANPR to enforce

This Kent Access Permit will be issued once trucker has completed their paperwork.

But sources in industry say it is impossible to implement unless police patrol the Kent border. They have asked govt to explain this. This is first time govt has said police will be used

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1308755604606013441

bgmnts

Can't wait til country goes full on fash.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 23, 2020, 02:35:18 PM
Actually, the motorway down there is four lanes wide, so the queues will only be 1,750 lorries long.

STOP TALKING THIS COUNTRY DOWN.
This guy estimates 7000 trucks would be 100 miles. His arithmetic seems correct, but obviously 1750 lorries would be less and yet more sideways.

Sebastian Cobb

Once we leave the red tape of the EU, we'll be able to stack lorries on top of one another. Just imagine, a tailback just 10 lorries long and four wide, but 175 lorries high.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Phil_A on September 23, 2020, 12:05:51 PM
Just had a very sobering Brexit update from work - short version is the possibility of us not being totally fucked come January is getting increasingly slim, no-one still knows anything, they're still trying to figure out what services could potentially be disrupted when we essentially become a third world country. All our Data Protection agreements with EU countries basically go in the bin.

My job is also looking pretty shaky.  Our EU clients just don't know how Brexit will affect them but when it comes to contract renewal just take the attitude of 'why take the risk?' so search from EU suppliers instead.

Also this

QuoteThousands of Britons living in the EU will have their UK bank accounts closed by the end of the year because of the UK's failure to agree a post-Brexit trade deal.

Unless someone that emigrates to the EU completely cuts their ties with the UK, which nobody does, they are going to need a UK bank account at some point.  Not having one would make life extremely difficult and a lot more expensive.

I've read comments online from brexiters saying 'people that live outside the EU can still have UK bank accounts', but I guess what they are missing is that's because there are already agreements in place between those countries and the UK. 

There are going to be so many ways people find out the hard way how all the changes affect them.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 23, 2020, 03:36:35 PM
This guy estimates 7000 trucks would be 100 miles. His arithmetic seems correct, but obviously 1750 lorries would be less and yet more sideways.

*And I would walk 7000 trucks, and I would walk 7000 more, just to be the man who stacks up all the trucks at your door*

idunnosomename

genuinely do not like kent. full of weirdos and paedophiles. sink the whole thing. oasts be damned.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 24, 2020, 12:42:28 AM
genuinely do not like kent. full of weirdos and paedophiles. sink the whole thing. oasts be damned.

hi mook

DrGreggles

7000 lorries?
Where Evel Knievel when you need him?!

Spoiler alert
Dead apparently.
[close]

Fambo Number Mive

How long before we need passports to visit Kent? Lorry drivers will from January

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-police-turn-uk-truckers-22730411

QuotePolice will turn lorries away from Kent unless they have a 'passport' to enter when Britain leaves the EU in January, Michael Gove has confirmed.

The Cabinet Office Minister said policing and numberplate cameras will be used to enforce the "Kent Access Permit", which creates an internal border in a bid to prevent queues tailing back from the port of Dover.

It comes after Mr Gove warned queues of up to 7,000 trucks were possible when the Brexit transition period comes to an end if hauliers fail to prepare for customs changes.

The Cabinet Office minister, who is responsible for no-deal planning, wrote to logistics groups with the Government's "reasonable worst-case scenario" planning, which warns of possible two-day delays for cargo travelling to France in January.

But it's understood the 'Kent passport' will be enforced whether there's a Brexit deal or not...

Maybe Kent will be given full independence at this rate.

robhug

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 23, 2020, 03:43:29 PM
Once we leave the red tape of the EU, we'll be able to stack lorries on top of one another. Just imagine, a tailback just 10 lorries long and four wide, but 175 lorries high.

+ there's nothing johnny foreigner can do about it

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1311581354769944576

QuoteBREAKING: European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen will make a statement on Brexit at 11hr CET.
@rtenews understands that legal action against the United Kingdom is imminent and that a draft "letter of formal notice" has been finalised, triggering legal action

Turns out that breaking the withdrawal agreement wasn't a clever thing to do.

Paul Calf

There will be war by 2030, very close by if not actually on British soil.

Actually, what's Gibraltar's position now?

buttgammon

But what about ARE SOVEREIGN PARLIAMENT???!!

Paul Calf

idunnosomename

Rich Uncle Skeleton

buttgammon

Quote from: Quote on October 01, 2020, 10:48:53 AM
Oven ready legal action.

Sounds like one of those 'make your own will' kits they have in WH Smith.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on October 01, 2020, 10:20:59 AM
No, the Falklands

Maybe Shit Good Nose is a spook and his thread about his wife being posted there for a day was a way to gauge public reaction.