Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT THREAD A MILLION

Started by idunnosomename, December 14, 2019, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 18, 2020, 04:50:43 AM

What should poor British people (like me), living and working in Europe, prepare for now that the countries they're living in are going into a second lockdown and most of the government safety nets seem to be for EU citizens only?  Should we leave our homes and camp out at the Embassies expecting to be fed and housed?  Or repatriated to a country most of us haven't visited in years, where we have no homes, jobs or support networks?  This is coming soon.

DrGreggles

QuoteBritons spend on average around 25 seconds at the passport control desk at Schiphol. It is estimated this will increase to 40-45 seconds next year due to the need for additional document checks.

That's an extra 15-20 seconds they can spend wanking over how blue their passports are.

idunnosomename

Ordering stuff from the states is already fuckin expensive. No Shatner underpants after Brexit!

Zetetic

I wonder how this stuff is supposed to work with Etsy.

(Although last time, I had something posted from the US, it ended up with the usual "you must pay £x VAT and a £100x handling fee" from the Royal Mail sticker... and then they delivered it anyway.)

Shit Good Nose

I buy a lot of blu rays from the States so, at least in terms of how I use a huge chunk of my spare time, this is absolutely crushing news for me.  The smaller sellers will just stop selling to the UK, whilst the likes of Amazon global will have the monopoly and will charge whatever the fuck they want.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 25, 2020, 02:34:23 AM
Good news everyone, only the big companies will want to ship things into the UK for you to buy, hooray for monopolies!

That's utterly insane. Not sure how it'll affect marketplaces like eBay and Etsy, if they can somehow do bulk registrations for everyone, but it's really going to shaft small independents. Whether you're buying American t-shirts, European vinyl, foreign cooking ingredients, K-Pop ephemera, or niche spare parts, you're fucked - even if people will sell them to you, the abolition of the £15 exemption (which admittedly was abused a bit) means everything will go through long slow processes at customs.

bgmnts

I'm enjoying William Shatner the economic investigator!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: bgmnts on October 26, 2020, 12:42:07 PM
I'm enjoying William Shatner the economic investigator!
It's quite something that William Shatner knows more about the UK tax system than any professional commentator I've read.

idunnosomename

Shatner has been a massive cunt online recently and it has been quite persuasively argued he doesnt touch his own account and has some other cunt run it for him

Shit Good Nose

"Spooooooooooooooooooooooock...........look at these.....CUSTOMS....charges.....they are.......exTORtionate"

Attila

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 26, 2020, 02:43:24 PM
"Spooooooooooooooooooooooock...........look at these.....CUSTOMS....charges.....they are.......exTORtionate"

[rips shirt off and wrestles customs charges to the ground]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4wAnvfM4M

idunnosomename

always worried about how expensive soy sauce was. thank goodness

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk/status/1321183395116888065

(are they actually taking the piss? what is behind these communications?)

Buelligan

idunnosomename

yeah she is as thick as pigshit but she doesn't craft the sad emoji communications herself. some sad civil servant has to do it

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 27, 2020, 09:19:38 PM
always worried about how expensive soy sauce was. thank goodness

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk/status/1321183395116888065

(are they actually taking the piss? what is behind these communications?)

soya sauce in the Queen's English, please

BlodwynPig

Pork markets, how are they going?

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

It isn't exactly a lie, they'll say.  Using their amazing skills, they've saved Britain from their WTO 6% death tariff that would've seen the price of soy sauce in Aldi rocket from 49p to just shy of 51p. 

This has moved the whole of the UK from 49p soy (EU tariff free) to a possible 50/1p sauce under WTO, rules following a No Deal Brexit, to 49p soy under the new trade deal with Japan that doesn't cover all the other things covered by EU membership but halleluiah, at least we've saved a possible 2 or 3 pence every time we treat ourselves to a luxurious bottle of soya sauce (as long as it comes from Japan and not Holland which is where most imported soy sauce comes from, I believe).

Mr_Simnock

olliebean

And how much extra is it going to cost to ship all the 0% tariff soy sauce from Japan instead of from the EU?

Johnny Yesno

tories do seem to lack any kind of spacial awareness.

frajer

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 28, 2020, 04:09:30 PM
tories do seem to lack any kind of spacial awareness.

But do they let that stop them? Unfortunately, they do not.

idunnosomename

Quote from: olliebean on October 28, 2020, 03:29:35 PM
And how much extra is it going to cost to ship all the 0% tariff soy sauce from Japan instead of from the EU?
this is exactly the sort of nay-saying attitude that will only hold back global britain

dissolute ocelot

Almost all soy sauce sold in the UK is made in China or the EU. Kikkoman (a Japanese company) has a massive Dutch plant. The government also talks about the Japan trade deal bringing cheaper noodles and yuzu; most noodles on the Tesco website are produced in China or Europe. Yuzu may be associated with Japan but was originally Chinese/Tibetan, and while I can't find figures on production, it's widely grown in Korea, also in California and Australia, and could probably be grown in southern Europe if anyone cared. You could probably get more Japanese food via an Australian trade deal: my local Chinese supermarket sells some very good Aussie noodles, as well as Chinese, Thai, etc.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 28, 2020, 04:56:35 PM
Almost all soy sauce sold in the UK is made in China or the EU. Kikkoman (a Japanese company) has a massive Dutch plant. The government also talks about the Japan trade deal bringing cheaper noodles and yuzu; most noodles on the Tesco website are produced in China or Europe. Yuzu may be associated with Japan but was originally Chinese/Tibetan, and while I can't find figures on production, it's widely grown in Korea, also in California and Australia, and could probably be grown in southern Europe if anyone cared. You could probably get more Japanese food via an Australian trade deal: my local Chinese supermarket sells some very good Aussie noodles, as well as Chinese, Thai, etc.

I get a special imported Koi Sauce from Japan, 1800 pounds a pop.

idunnosomename

look, um, i resigned myself to this happening, but is there any chance the government will just extend EU regulations due to the fact they've fucked absolutely everything up? if I had an international trading business I'd be shitting my pants due to this sort of nonsense.

https://twitter.com/GOVUK/status/1318837427629395968

of course one year ago we were supposed to leave and no one thought we would and we didn't despite all the massive motorway adverts etc.

i personally don't care because our country is a piece of shit and i hope it crawls back up the butt from whence it came

jobotic

This is like wondering why republicans haven't turned on Trump I know but are there no fucking "moderate" Tories willing to tell Cummings to do one? They used to be the party of the CBI but now it's just chaos and culture wars. And making fortunes from shorting the economy. I've said for years that the only Brexit they want is the most destructive one possible and its true. Covid makes it even better.