Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BREXIT THREAD A MILLION

Started by idunnosomename, December 14, 2019, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

A lot of them had the whip removed and left Parliament at the 2019 election such as Philip Hammond or stood as Lib Dems and lost like Sam Gyimah.

Although Hammond is apparently still a Tory Party member.

Fambo Number Mive

National Audit Report says Uk businesses will face "widespread disruption" next year due to lack of government preparation:

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1324638263659892736

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/The-UK-border-preparedness-for-the-end-of-the-transition-period.pdf

Quote...There is likely to be significant disruption at the border from 1 January 2021
as many traders and third parties will not be ready for new EU controls. As a result
of the government's decision to leave the EU customs union and the single market
it is inevitable that there will be additional administration and checks required
to manage the border. However, this friction will be exacerbated if traders and
others are not prepared for the likelihood that the EU will apply full customs and
regulatory controls from 1 January 2021. On 21 October 2020, BPDG assessed
trader and passenger readiness as red. The government's latest reasonable
worst-case planning assumptions, as of September 2020, are that 40% to 70%
of laden lorries may not be ready for border controls...

Quote...The government's plan for reducing the risk of disruption at the approach
to the short Channel crossings is still developing, with various operational
issues to be resolved. The government is planning on the basis that, in a
reasonable worst-case scenario, up to 7,000 lorries may need to queue at the
approach to the short Channel crossings. It is developing new arrangements
to try to minimise the length of queues. These depend on new technology and
will require the engagement of traders and hauliers. The government plans to
launch a new online service (called 'Check an HGV') for hauliers to check and
self-certify that they have the correct documentation for EU import controls
before travelling, and to subsequently obtain a permit to drive on prescribed
roads in Kent. Those without a permit will face a fine of £300. This plan requires
hauliers to have a much more detailed knowledge of the load they are carrying
than has been the case previously. There is more to do to ensure 'Check an HGV'
is integrated with wider traffic management and enforcement plans including
determining the level of enforcement possible without disrupting the flow of
traffic, where the enforcement and compliance checking will take place and
the resources needed...

Quote...The increasing time pressure and risks mean that the government is
committing a lot of money to progress preparations in areas, such as port
infrastructure and customs intermediaries, which would traditionally be provided
by the private sector. The unique situation in which departments are operating
makes some element of additional spending inevitable, and it is right that the
government does what is appropriate to mitigate the risks. However, despite the
funding being committed by government, there remains significant uncertainty
about whether preparations will be complete in time, and the impact if they are
not. Some of this uncertainty could have been avoided, and better preparations
made, had the government addressed sooner issues such as expanding the
customs intermediary market, developing a solution for roll-on, roll-off (RORO)
traffic, upscaling customs systems and determining the requirements for
infrastructure to enforce a new compliance regime...

idunnosomename

Any chance this won't happen? In that we'll just end up keeping the same trade arrangements? Possibly by paying them money? So like being in the EU but with no MEPs?

Bit rich telling businesses to get ready for brexit when the government hasnt finalised a deal

frajer

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 06, 2020, 05:11:57 PM
Bit rich telling businesses to get ready for brexit when the government hasnt finalised a deal

It's an absolute farce and one that's wearing me down. I work in a small company (business booming pre-COVID; scraping by with about enough trade to stay afloat now) which ships worldwide, with strong customer bases in Europe.

The current government advice is to contact all of our customers and make them aware that they will likely have to pay import taxes if they continue buying our products next year, and also to expect shipping delays.

I'm trying to stay optimistic but when MPs tell businesses to "get Brexit ready" I have to go out back and punch a side of frozen beef like Rocky.

DrGreggles

"Get ready for Brexit - so we don't have to"

Theremin

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 10, 2020, 02:19:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93AZirB7rA&feature=emb_err_woyt

The state of the bloody comments there.

A load of self-proclaimed liberals all bemoaning the loss of a more sensible and caring Tory Party, like one led by... Thatcher's Chancellor.

God, this island really does breed some absolute jelly-brained cunts.

dissolute ocelot

Any chance this won't happen? In that we'll just end up keeping the same trade arrangements? Possibly by paying them money? So like being in the EU but with no MEPs?

That would be sensible (ish) but is never going to happen. (Switzerland pays about £1 billion per year, so we'd be looking at maybe £7 billion based on our larger population.) But what would Rees-Mogg and the ERG say? Giving money to filthy Europeans to spend on garlic and pastis? Never, I'd rather go bankrupt and starve to death!

Paul Calf

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 10, 2020, 04:17:45 PM
That would be sensible (ish) but is never going to happen. (Switzerland pays about £1 billion per year, so we'd be looking at maybe £7 billion based on our larger population.) But what would Rees-Mogg and the ERG say? Giving money to filthy Europeans to spend on garlic and pastis? Never, I'd rather poor, inconsequential people go bankrupt and starve to death!

Johnny Yesno

Thanks for pointing out what the ocelot was clearly implying.

idunnosomename

do wonder if they've cocked this up so bad even the greasy millionaires won't do well out of it

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/12/post-brexit-lorry-queues-could-make-kent-toilet-of-england

QuotePost-Brexit lorry queues could make Kent 'toilet of England'

Campaigners warn that roads and laybys are already littered with urine and excrement

Go on, I know the replies write themselves but go on...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

KENT

TOILET

It's there

It's right there

BlodwynPig

JamesTC

And as they stood there that cold Kent morning, wading in piss and shit, they knew that they were finally free.

Cuellar

Talking of Kent, I hear they're making Kent the 'toilet of England'

about ten pounds worth of damage

?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Cuellar on November 12, 2020, 10:59:25 PM

about ten pounds worth of damage

?
what did you EAT

jobotic

Yeah ha ha laugh it up.

I'd be proud to live in an actual toilet if we can close are borders to migrants wanting to come here to be nurses.

imitationleather

Well we all know what nurses are like now. So the fewer of them the better.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on November 12, 2020, 10:59:25 PM

about ten pounds worth of drainage

?

Finally

Johnny Yesno

evilcommiedictator

Bung a buttplug up Kent for Brexit

pigamus

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1327303343245561856

I think the frog-faced cunt might be right. I don't think Johnson has the balls for No Deal after all.

Fambo Number Mive

Nissan has warned that its future in Sunderland will "not be sustainable" if there is no Brexit deal. That would mean 7,000 jobs going.

George Monbiot is also warning of food shortages in 2021:

QuoteA few days ago, I carried out a small experiment. I sent almost identical requests to two government departments.

I asked the business department whether the UK holds strategic oil reserves. Yes: the UK keeps stocks equivalent to 90 days of net imports. I asked the environment department whether the UK holds strategic food reserves. No: they aren't necessary, because "the UK has a highly resilient food supply chain". The government treats oil as a strategic asset but food as a matter for the market.

So what happens if our "highly resilient food supply chain" breaks after Brexit transition, on 1 January? It won't, the government promised. "Our risk assessments show there will not be an overall shortage of food in the UK," whether or not there's a deal. But when I pressed it to show me these risk assessments, the plural turned out to be misleading. There's just one assessment: a "reasonable worst-case scenario" for the UK's borders.

This is grim enough. It suggests that the flow of freight through the ports could be reduced by between 20% and 40%, while trucks travelling in either direction could be delayed by up to two days: a big problem for fresh food. This month, the National Audit Office reviewed the government's border arrangements, and found them to be late, untested, "inherently complex", "high-risk" and "very challenging". The government's brinkmanship, intended to wrongfoot the EU, has instead wrongfooted our own hauliers and traders, who have been unable to prepare with confidence.

So far, so bad. But the UK's border is only one link in the food supply chain, and it may not be the weakest. If the ports are congested and the flow of goods reduced, we will need stocks to bridge the gap. Food traders will have to build reserves, now and in December, to cover the likely shortfall in January. This means warehouse capacity. One minor hitch: there isn't any...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/17/british-government-food-shortage-uk-fresh-europe-ports-storage-space

George Oscar Bluth II

Still boggles the mind they didn't just ask for a one year extension to the transition period in April, literally no-one would have given a shit.

JamesTC

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on November 18, 2020, 03:58:12 PM
Still boggles the mind they didn't just ask for a one year extension to the transition period in April, literally no-one would have given a shit.

You underestimate the swivel eyes loonies who want this. They see "taking back control" as more important than concentrating on a global pandemic. They believe foreigners are more dangerous than Covid 19. Plus the Venn diagram of Brexiteers and Covid deniers is basically a circle.

Fambo Number Mive

It's so frustrating that we might see shortages in the supermarkets (I assume people will still be able to get enough to feed themselves, but you might be eating the same types of meals more often) just because Cameron was worried about losing Tory support to UKIP.

And if Starmer even mentions this topic Johnson will just go "Oh Captain Hindsight, expecting us to do something about predicated food shortages" and "Captain Hindsight" will trend on Twitter again.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 18, 2020, 04:29:42 PM
I assume people will still be able to get enough to feed themselves, but you might be eating the same types of meals more often

I have to say, that's very optimistic of you.

Quote from: JamesTC on November 18, 2020, 04:26:16 PM
Plus the Venn diagram of Brexiteers and Covid deniers is basically a circle.

I would've naturally expected that too, but there seems to be plenty of hardcore Brexiters who are also very vocal about respecting lockdowns and mask-wearing.  And not even just the fogeys whose lives rather more depend on it.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 18, 2020, 05:32:04 PM
I have to say, that's very optimistic of you.

That's true. I had imagined that we'd see an increase in health issues caused by a shortage of mainly fruit and vegetables, but I am starting to wonder if we'll need to start growing food in our back gardens due to a shortage of all types of food. All the gammons would love it if rationing came back in (Alcohol and cigarettes will not be rationed).