Author Topic: BREXIT THREAD A MILLION  (Read 47991 times)

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Re: BREXIT THREAD A MILLION
« Reply #810 on: September 15, 2020, 02:47:04 PM »
I look forward to the government informing me I am a rich energy source and that they'll be selling me off to Cuadrilla.

« Reply #811 on: September 15, 2020, 03:02:45 PM »
So what does this Internal Market Bill actually mean? Does this fuck over Scotland and Wales?

Ray Travez

• I don't like your trousers, you fucking tithead!
« Reply #812 on: September 15, 2020, 03:04:09 PM »
https://coincodex.com/crypto/polkadot/

Thank me later

As a store of value or a speculation?

(either way, I'm not a crypto guy.)

Cuellar

• Taxes, they'll be lower...son
« Reply #813 on: September 15, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »
So what does this Internal Market Bill actually mean? Does this fuck over Scotland and Wales?

Been trying to find this out myself, can't get a straight answer from any article. The Northern Ireland Protocol in the Withdrawal Agreement says, as far as I can glean, that NI is still going to be aligned to EU goods regulations so there's no need for a hard border on the island. This means goods coming from Great Britain INTO Northern Ireland WOULD be subject to checks etc.

So the Internal Market Bill wants to be able to alter/ignore entirely the Northern Ireland Protocol - I think. Can't find anything that actually lays out specific examples of what the Internal Market Bill would allow the government to do in Northern Ireland, and Wales and Scotland.

« Reply #814 on: September 15, 2020, 03:35:47 PM »
Been trying to find this out myself, can't get a straight answer from any article. The Northern Ireland Protocol in the Withdrawal Agreement says, as far as I can glean, that NI is still going to be aligned to EU goods regulations so there's no need for a hard border on the island. This means goods coming from Great Britain INTO Northern Ireland WOULD be subject to checks etc.

So the Internal Market Bill wants to be able to alter/ignore entirely the Northern Ireland Protocol - I think. Can't find anything that actually lays out specific examples of what the Internal Market Bill would allow the government to do in Northern Ireland, and Wales and Scotland.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/internal-market-bill

This laid it out in layman's terms but I still am not 100% sure what the real world applications are.

« Reply #815 on: September 15, 2020, 04:54:26 PM »
The only currency worth shit soon will be methane gas, a la Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
time to annex france

Danger Man

• The original CABLAD
« Reply #816 on: September 15, 2020, 05:55:58 PM »
As a store of value or a speculation?

(either way, I'm not a crypto guy.)

You have to speculum to accumulum....

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #817 on: September 15, 2020, 06:32:32 PM »
I look forward to the government informing me I am a rich energy source and that they'll be selling me off to Cuadrilla.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #818 on: September 15, 2020, 06:36:32 PM »

Quality 'this you?'ing here.

« Reply #819 on: September 15, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »

Looking at the explainer that bgmnts posted a link to, the issue seems to be that it gives the UK government exclusive power to exercise state aid powers, including in Scotland and Wales. So the Scottish and Welsh parliaments would have no say over what businesses they could give subsidies to, or withhold subsidies from. (Presumably in NI as well.)

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #820 on: September 15, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »
Emma Kennedy also tweeted "Fuck rule of 6 everyone, govt just voted to break law". Which is such a stupid argument. As someone on Twitter replies, " Let's not all go and behave like arseholes just because we're governed by [arseholes]".

Zetetic

• Worrying the carcass of an old song.
« Reply #821 on: September 15, 2020, 07:29:49 PM »
Looking at the explainer that bgmnts posted a link to, the issue seems to be that it gives the UK government exclusive power to exercise state aid powers, including in Scotland and Wales. So the Scottish and Welsh [Governments] would have no say over what businesses they could give subsidies to, or withhold subsidies from. (Presumably in NI as well.)

And there's issues around it enabling Westminster to direct funding to projects that the devolved governments have rejected, such as the M4 stuff in south Wales.

« Reply #822 on: September 15, 2020, 07:31:43 PM »
For someone who apparently has no political beliefs whatsoever she does bang on about politics an incredible amount

I believe private property is theft and no one should live in poverty. Emma just thinks the Queen was brill for filming that bit with Daniel Craig.

« Reply #823 on: September 15, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »
It's impossible to have no political beliefs.  That's the melt mindset though, no apparent values or beliefs beyond wanting to be right.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #824 on: September 15, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »
She had so few political beliefs she ended up joining the Lib Dems last year.

Mr_Simnock

• Ես ուզում անդորր
« Reply #825 on: September 15, 2020, 10:23:12 PM »
She had so few political beliefs she ended up joining the Lib Dems last year.

perfect party for her then

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Mr Moose is up! It's done done done!
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #826 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:34 PM »
Deplatform her in the gob

« Reply #827 on: September 15, 2020, 10:49:09 PM »
perfect party for her then
no wonder she's happy to do a selfie with Michael Gove. if i was in the presence of his daemonic aura pretty sure I would shit my pants and vomit on him

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #828 on: September 15, 2020, 10:50:42 PM »
As night follows day, boris willing to compromise now on the bill.

The games that people fall for

« Reply #829 on: September 16, 2020, 12:18:22 AM »
And there's issues around it enabling Westminster to direct funding to projects that the devolved governments have rejected, such as the M4 stuff in south Wales.

Going by Ed Miliband's speech Monday night, and Ian Blackford's early intervention, I think another issue is that Scotland, Wales and NI could be forced to accept lower food and other standards (animal welfare, certain environmental protections), if legislated for in Westminster. This apparently constitutes a violation of the devolution settlements - because these are devolved powers - but also disregards that there's been progress made over the last few months to create common frameworks that could be set in legislation, and are not part of this Bill.

« Reply #830 on: September 16, 2020, 10:21:07 AM »
Pretty soon they'll start doing what all autocrats do: silencing, ruining and imprisoning people who don't keep their mouths shut. Hate speech laws and arrests for posting details of protests on social media are just the start.

I'm fully aware that if they do that, I'm probably fucked.

Expect a lot more tweets describing BLM and XR as terrorists, all coordinated. By this time next year trade unions will be described as such too, and it'll be illegal to take any sort of collective action. Then any opposition to Cummings will be too.

I just hope some of the centrists who will happily wave this through get caught up in it as well. They lit the fire but they'll be shocked and outraged if they burn in it.

Cuellar

• Taxes, they'll be lower...son
« Reply #831 on: September 16, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/internal-market-bill

This laid it out in layman's terms but I still am not 100% sure what the real world applications are.

Ta for this, I was trying to use newspapers to get an explanation! That'll teach me.

Looking at the explainer that bgmnts posted a link to, the issue seems to be that it gives the UK government exclusive power to exercise state aid powers, including in Scotland and Wales. So the Scottish and Welsh parliaments would have no say over what businesses they could give subsidies to, or withhold subsidies from. (Presumably in NI as well.)

So it 'strengthens the union' by destroying devolution. I'm sure that'll be fine.

« Reply #832 on: September 16, 2020, 11:19:27 AM »
REES-MOGG SELF-ISOLATES AFTER CHILDREN TEST POSITIVE FOR GONORRHEA.

« Reply #833 on: September 16, 2020, 11:21:48 AM »
Gonorrhea? I hardly knew them!

« Reply #834 on: September 16, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »

I can't figure out if the issue is that the Scottish and Welsh parliaments will be losing powers they currently have, or if it's the case that powers that are currently with Brussels will be going to Westminster not Holyrood/Cardiff and that's what they're angry about. (State aid and single market are currently largely regulated by the EU, but maybe not entirely?)

Bleeding Kansas

• Them as 'as nowt is nowt
« Reply #835 on: September 16, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
Expect a lot more tweets describing BLM and XR as terrorists, all coordinated. By this time next year trade unions will be described as such too, and it'll be illegal to take any sort of collective action. Then any opposition to Cummings will be too.

I just hope some of the centrists who will happily wave this through get caught up in it as well. They lit the fire but they'll be shocked and outraged if they burn in it.

This doesn't look good for the Centrists.

« Reply #836 on: September 17, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »
Raab lying his arse off on CNN. The possible Ireland problem is all the fault of those pesky forrins.

Paul Calf

• LOTION MAN
  • Golden Member
  • กษัตริย์วชิราลงกรณ์เป็นบุตรชายปัญญาอ่อนของฆาตกร
« Reply #837 on: September 17, 2020, 07:11:23 PM »
Big Lie politics. If it helps, remember that the people who coined that term ended up slaughtering each other in a trench underneath Berlin.

Tags: