Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:40:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dwarf Specials (2020)

Started by Jim Bob, December 15, 2019, 07:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Hard to believe that Back to Earth was.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Replies From View on March 28, 2020, 05:20:33 PM
Hard to believe that Back to Earth was eleven years ago.
I'd like to see it again but it doesn't seem to be on the player. Weird.

Replies From View

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 28, 2020, 06:18:56 PM
I'd like to see it again but it doesn't seem to be on the player. Weird.

Which player?  Does Dave have a player?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Replies From View on March 28, 2020, 11:10:43 PM
Which player?  Does Dave have a player?
I have Sky+. Various series of Red Dwarf are available at different times but never Back To Earth.

Dewt

Maybe it's a rights/residuals thing due to Corrie. Or maybe there's no demand for it because it's shite.

beanheadmcginty

olliebean

It's on BritBox apparently. You can get a 30 day free trial.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dewt on March 29, 2020, 02:26:41 AM
Maybe it's a rights/residuals thing due to Corrie. Or maybe there's no demand for it because it's shite.

This implies that there is a demand for series 8, though, which is even more devastatingly shite.

Replies From View

To be honest if you like your Red Dwarf DVD extras, Back to Earth is worth getting for a couple of reasons:

1) You can watch it in an edited-together and rejigged "director's cut", one of the benefits of which is removing the horrible feeling you get when episodes end on clunky cliffhanger 'jokes'; you can ignore them more easily when they are just segues to the next scene.

2) Commentary track from the cast on the original 3 part version; commentary track from Doug Naylor on the director's cut.

Whereas series 10, 11 and 12 haven't bothered with commentaries.  Arguably commentaries are more valuable when several years have passed since the show was made, but I still miss them.  They help to make crappy episodes more watchable, for one thing.

Small Man Big Horse

The Radio Times have posted a review of The Promised Land - https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-03-31/red-dwarf-special-promised-land-review/ - which ends with: "The end result is a good-but-not-great first stab at the feature-length format for Red Dwarf – The Promised Land is unlikely to convert anyone who's found themselves immune to the show's charms thus far, but it's a reasonably rewarding outing for the faithful."

Surprised the review's out so soon, but then I guess it's only just over a week to go now.

idunnosomename

Hardly fills one with anticipation

magval

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 28, 2020, 11:30:14 PM
I have Sky+. Various series of Red Dwarf are available at different times but never Back To Earth.

For years, the default preview picture for Red Dwarf on Netflix was a shot of Starbug on Coronation Street, and they never had Back to Earth either.

ajsmith2

Could you damn with more faint praise than that Radio Times review? It can only be a colossal pile of shite if that is anything to go by. It reads like the kind of softball 'talk around the obvious fact this is no good at all' review you'd get of a boomer rock bands latest CD in Uncut magazine in 1998.

idunnosomename

i mean honestly. in theory i like the idea of rebooting the whole last human/cat race thing, and more introspective character moments etc, but that review is such a bucket of cold water on the head I feel even more cynical about it than I was to start with!!

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 01, 2020, 02:49:04 AM
"The end result is a good-but-not-great first stab at the feature-length format for Red Dwarf

...apart from Back in the Red and Back to Earth, both three-parters that were initially conceived as single extended episodes and exist as such in bonus edits on their respective DVDs.

Not to mention the abandoned Feature Film, which I would argue was a  first stab.

Replies From View

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on April 01, 2020, 01:58:04 PM
Not to mention the abandoned Feature Film, which I would argue was a  first stab.

Second stab, if Back in the Red was the first.  (I think they didn't start working on the movie until after series 8.)

Malcy

The Radio Times ran a poll to find which series was the favourite. Series 5 with 24%.

Red Dwarf V (1992)
Red Dwarf VI (1993)
Red Dwarf III (1989)
Red Dwarf IV (1991)
Red Dwarf I (1988)
Red Dwarf II (1988)
Red Dwarf VII (1997)
Red Dwarf VIII (1999)
Red Dwarf XII (2017)
Red Dwarf X (2012)
Red Dwarf: Back to Earth (2009)
Red Dwarf XI (2016)

idunnosomename

i'd have to say, the best of the red dwarf.

Old Nehamkin

I would go 2>3>1>4>5>6>everything else who cares.

Mango Chimes

Last Of The Summer Wine In Space.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on April 01, 2020, 02:23:48 PM
The Radio Times ran a poll to find which series was the favourite. Series 5 with 24%.

Red Dwarf V (1992)
Red Dwarf VI (1993)
Red Dwarf III (1989)
Red Dwarf IV (1991)
Red Dwarf I (1988)
Red Dwarf II (1988)
Red Dwarf VII (1997)
Red Dwarf VIII (1999)
Red Dwarf XII (2017)
Red Dwarf X (2012)
Red Dwarf: Back to Earth (2009)
Red Dwarf XI (2016)

Series 2 as the worst of the 1-6 'bubble'?  Series 8 better than anything in the Dave era?  What rot!

ajsmith2

I like to think of Series 7 onwards up until and including this as one big 'unreality bubble' as shown in 'Out Of Time' that they will one day emerge from.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mango Chimes on April 01, 2020, 04:01:42 PM
Last Of The Summer Wine In Space.
they should have done that but naylor just kept writing it as if charles was still 23

Lemming

2 > 1 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 11 > 12 > rest IRRELEVANT

idunnosomename

Was that list really just people's favourite? Who the fuck would choose anything after VI as their favourite. Fucking hell

Replies From View

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 01, 2020, 06:08:06 PM
I like to think of Series 7 onwards up until and including this as one big 'unreality bubble' as shown in 'Out Of Time' that they will one day emerge from.

I think series 11 and 12 sit quite naturally after series 6, albeit with no explanation for how the series 6 cliffhanger was resolved.  Series 10 mentioned Lister being his own Dad and a couple of references to Kochanski, but series 11 and 12 ignored both those trajectories.

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 01, 2020, 06:23:59 PM
they should have done that but naylor just kept writing it as if charles was still 23

Yes, very much so.  Sometimes it still has the tone of Last of the Summer Wine though, since in that show the pensioners behave as if they are 7 and living in Beanotown.

petril

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 01, 2020, 03:31:14 PM
i'd have to say, the best of the red dwarf.

oh, Rob Grant's solo series

Zetetic

Quote from: Lemming on March 28, 2020, 04:36:13 PM
It feels weird to say it but new Red Dwarf actually has a really cool aesthetic as a sci-fi show. The sets almost all looked great in the newer series and those pictures promise more of the same.
I was thinking much the same thing looking at those photos.

I still haven't brought myself to watch any of the 'new' series of Red Dwarf though.