Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Child's Play/Chucky (doll films)

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2019, 01:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Just want to do a wee guilty pleasure thread because I bloody love Chucky, the little cunt. Basically a series of films that are generally priddy good (except Child's Play 3 and arguably Cult of Chucky, and I don't really hate those). Even the reboot/remake is enjoyable, though it peters out in the last act.

What do YOU think of the Chucky cinema

SteveDave

The reboot would've been good had they combined the voodoo with the modern technology rather than just having a sad worker program the doll for evil.

Quote from: SteveDave on December 16, 2019, 01:42:35 PM
The reboot would've been good had they combined the voodoo with the modern technology rather than just having a sad worker program the doll for evil.

"Yep, here's your problem. Someone set this thing to evil."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8dcmLscf3g

madhair60

Quote from: SteveDave on December 16, 2019, 01:42:35 PM
Disagree, because the "disgruntled worker sets doll to evil" catalyst is hilarious.

oy vey

I'll watch, or in this case listen to, Brad Dourif in anything.

imitationleather

My Nan had no problem with me watching the Child's Play series of films when I was about seven years old. I guess either she was completely unaware of the content of the films and, or didn't buy into the tabloid hysteria about video nasties at all.

Jim Bob

Child's Play - Entertaining and hokey horror flick, one which becomes increasingly daft as the film's plot progress.  The scene where Chucky reveals himself to the Mom is a hoot.  This is the sole entry in the series which could reasonably be described as having genuinely scary moments and it also contains the best scene out of any of the movies in the series.

7 killer dolls out of 10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Child's Play 2 - A disappointing and largely uninteresting sequel which is somewhat redeemed by a wonderfully grim and gory finale, which feels as though it was guest directed by David Cronenberg.  I'd bump the score up by 1 because the movie features Jenny Agutter, but alas, she remains fully clothed throughout, so the score shall remain at...

4 mangled dolls in an industrial machine out of 10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Child's Play 3 - A rather low-key entry in a series and often cited as one of the weaker installments by fans, but is within my top three within the series, even if it does feel a little bit like a made-for-TV film for much of its duration.  I often confuse this film with Damien: The Omen II, because both are set within military academies.  The best way to distinguish the two is to remember that The Omen II doesn't end with a final act set in a funfair.  Oh, and it also doesn't feature a killer doll.  At least not to the best of my recollection.

6 female protagonists who looks like my ex out of 10

Bride of Chucky - One of the few self-parodies which actually works because the original premise of the series is so fundamentally and intrinsically daft.  A highly entertaining installment.

7 TVs pushed into a bathtub out of 10

Seed of Chucky - Continuing on from the previous installment, this is another self-parody, except this time the jokes don't land.  Contains an annoying Thom Yorke doll.  The only redeeming quality is the magnificent animatronics on display.  Worst in the series.

2 John Waters unable to save a stinker out of 10

Curse of Chucky - A return to the series' horror roots.  It takes far too long for Chucky to reveal himself in a movie where everybody watching already knows that the doll is possessed by the soul of a serial killer.  However, the movie picks up pace and becomes a lot more entertaining once Chucky does finally reveal himself.  Also, it contains a memorable poisoned chilli con carne scene.

5 unsurprising reveals out of 10

Cult of Chucky - A great promising opening scene, featuring the return of Alex Vincent as Andy from the first movie, quickly gives way to a trite 'loonies in a mental asylum' story, which plays out like a horror themed, Poundland version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  Jennifer Tilly returns from 'Bride' and 'Seed' and gives a terrible, hammy performance, which worked within the self-parody, cartoonish nature of said movies, but in this relatively grounded sequel, feels entirely out of place.  Overall; dull, dull, dull.

3 insomnia curing Chuckys out of 10

Child's Play (2019) - Not seen it.  Not in any great rush to.  I like that they cast Mark Hamill as the voice of Chucky though.  If you're going to recast Brad Dourif, he's as good a choice as any.

? drones can't do that out of 10

bgmnts

Brad Dourif is fucking ace in almost everything, and Chucky is no exception.

When he goes full on apeshit at the mum in Chucky, that's just brilliant stuff.

I'm glad we are all on the Brad Dourif appreciation train together.

madhair60

The climax of 2 elevates it way above 3 for me, and I do like Seed (too much shit thrown at the wall for some of it not to stick) but otherwise difficult to disagree with your write-ups, JB

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 16, 2019, 04:02:09 PM

Seed of Chucky - Continuing on from the previous installment, this is another self-parody, except this time the jokes don't land.  Contains an annoying Thom Yorke doll.  The only redeeming quality is the magnificent animatronics on display.  Worst in the series.

2 John Waters unable to save a stinker out of 10

I strongly disagree with this. Strongly, I says. I think Seed... is absolutely wonderful. Don Mancini got to do what he wanted, basically, and what he wanted to do was fashion this skewed sort of weird old fairy tale that's queer as bedamned and camp as a lamp. I think it works beautifully.

I told him as much, as it happens. I interviewed him around the time Seed came out. I also asked him about the remake when I saw the poster for that plastered about the place. Asked him if he had anything to do with it. He said he didn't want to talk about it. Whatever the merits of that thing, it effectively killed one of the most consistently imaginative and unpredictable horror franchises this side of... I dunno. This side of what? There's no series of horror films like it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on December 16, 2019, 04:30:14 PM
Brad Dourif is fucking ace in almost everything, and Chucky is no exception.

When he goes full on apeshit at the mum in Chucky, that's just brilliant stuff.

I'm glad we are all on the Brad Dourif appreciation train together.

Loved him as 'The Doc' in Deadwood.

madhair60

Yeah I'm just gonna cop to fucking loving Seed of Chucky to be honest.

Mister Six

Didn't Seed of Chucky have Hannah from S Club 7 in it? And John Waters? Worlds collide!

Anyway, yeah, I thought it was quite shit and meandering after the very fun Bride installment. Not seen Cult as I've never heard anything good about it.

Quite fancy watching the new one now.

madhair60

I really enjoyed the remake overall, it's very funny for at least a solid hour. The third act is weak but the whole rest of it made me variously delighted and entertained.

SteK

There was an old black and white movie where the ventro's doll seemed to come alive at the end, though I think it was the ventro losing his mind.

Scared the shit out of me.....

oy vey

There's an episode of the X-files written by Stephen King about a fucked up doll. Mulder name drops Chucky if I remember correctly.

I'm currently prepping for a CP marathon on the back of this thread. Half of them are on Netflix Canada at the moment...

madhair60

Jim Bob

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 17, 2019, 07:52:22 PM
I strongly disagree with this. Strongly, I says. I think Seed... is absolutely wonderful. Don Mancini got to do what he wanted, basically, and what he wanted to do was fashion this skewed sort of weird old fairy tale that's queer as bedamned and camp as a lamp. I think it works beautifully.

I told him as much, as it happens. I interviewed him around the time Seed came out. I also asked him about the remake when I saw the poster for that plastered about the place. Asked him if he had anything to do with it. He said he didn't want to talk about it. Whatever the merits of that thing, it effectively killed one of the most consistently imaginative and unpredictable horror franchises this side of... I dunno. This side of what? There's no series of horror films like it.

I now love this film.

That was as beautiful, as it was fascinating.  Thank you for sharing.

Jim Bob

Oh, also Don Mancini has a Chucky TV series coming out, so that's a thing to look forward to, I guess.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I will be watching... I guess.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but...

No, seriously; I'm looking forward to it... I guess.

Rinse.  Repeat.  Ad hominem.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 18, 2019, 10:21:48 AM
I now love this film.

That was as beautiful, as it was fascinating.  Thank you for sharing.

I think you maybe misinterpreted my tone. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting yours. I was just saying I disagreed and making a bit of conversation, sorry if it came across any other way. The "strongly, I says!" was just a bit of carrying on. 

Jim Bob

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 18, 2019, 03:40:12 PM
I think you maybe misinterpreted my tone. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting yours.

You reassuringly are.  My response was meant as nothing more than loving.  I genuinely enjoyed reading your post.  Please forgive me if you took what I said as anything other than truthful.  I did not mean to be sarcastic.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 18, 2019, 03:40:12 PM
The "strongly, I says!" was just a bit of carrying on.

No need to apologise.  It amused me and I took it in good faith.

oy vey

Quote from: madhair60 on December 18, 2019, 10:15:05 AM
yikes

Well, maybe not in a row. Anyway 1 down.

Not a bad flick at all. Of it's time but it stands. Jack Colvin from TV's Incredible Hulk - he goes out well doesn't he? Catherine Hicks from Star Trek 4. The mix of comedy and horror is just right.

Old Lady: Ugly doll.
Chucky: Fuck you.

I know the rest are diminishing returns but fuck it...

Jim Bob

oy vey

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 18, 2019, 05:08:03 PM
Harsh but fair.  Accurate too!

I agree the voodoo doll scene is a cracker (couldn't resist). "You are an abomination." - that line made the movie for me. Both great deliveries.

2 down. CP2 is as derivative as I remember it. A few too many one-liners that don't quite land but Brad rocks it. I admit I chuckled at "how's it hangin Phil." It's more of the same with occasional retarded logic to make the plot work. Let's rebuild Chucky to prove he isn't evil, etc. Jenny Agutter underused/overdressed as previously noted. On a positive note, all asshole characters are dispatched/taunted appropriately by Chucky and the factory sequence is decent. Hilarious Star Trek TOS colour scheme to add to the general chaos. It's watchable.

Jim Bob

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Until reading this thread, I had no idea they'd made so many Child's Play films. I haven't seen any of them.

I'm going to have to watch them all now, aren't I? Thanks, guys.

SteK

I'm sure there was another more considered old B&W British film with more famous actors where the dummy came alive at the end, like the Dead Of Night, but slicker, dummy only revealed himself as living near the end, and it was more creepy than scary.....

Wasn't Dirk Bogarde but similar actor. Googling 'films with dummies that come alive' doesn't help....

imitationleather

Quote from: SteK on December 18, 2019, 08:21:10 PM
I'm sure there was another more considered old B&W British film with more famous actors where the dummy came alive at the end, like the Dead Of Night, but slicker, dummy only revealed himself as living near the end, and it was more creepy than scary.....

Wasn't Dirk Bogarde but similar actor. Googling 'films with dummies that come alive' doesn't help....

The Devil Doll?