Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Game of the decade!!!

Started by madhair60, December 18, 2019, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Lemming on December 18, 2019, 04:39:54 PM
and I didn't play the South Park game because I am not a CHILD

grrrrr

Jim Bob

Fallout > Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout 2 >Fallout 3 > > > > > Fallout 76

Note to all nerds; I didn't forget Brotherhood of Steel or Tactics, I just didn't care to include them.

Cerys

Quote from: madhair60 on December 18, 2019, 10:23:52 AM
What's your favourite game released 2009-2019?

I'm surprised that you have to ask.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on December 18, 2019, 04:55:35 PM
grrrrr

My sentiments exactly.

...and to think, I thought Lemming was a great bunch of lads!

Lemming

Never fear, I'll be redeemed with the truly incredible South Park FPS from 1998:

This is also honorary game of the decade 2010s.

Jim Bob

Turkeys.  So many damn turkeys; a festive treat they may be, but what wasn't a festive treat was when little Jimmy unwrapped South Park for the N64 on that fateful Christmas morn'.  That game was the biggest turkey of them all!

chveik

Civilization V
Skyrim
Rimworld

pretty much the only games I've played this decade so there's probably loads better.

also I think there's something with your avatar Cerys

Timothy

1. Persona 5
2. The Witcher 3
3. 428 Shibuya Scramble
4. Mario Maker
5. Metal Gear Solid 5
6. Yakuza 0
7. Death Stranding
8. Nier Automata
9. Tetris Effect
10. Spider-Man
11. Assassins Creed Oddysey

Jim Bob

I'm going to go ahead and nominate Thimbleweed Park because I love adventure games, almost as much as I love Nor Treblig.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Jim Bob

peanutbutter

I've played a suprising number of major games looking through lists, very few for more than half an hour though. Anyways...

1. Breath of the Wild
I don't like Zelda games generally, I don't like open world games much either, but fuck me this was a treat of a thing.

2. Super Hexagon
I'm shit at it, but it's fucking perfect at what it is

Mario Kart 8
Played it a couple of times with friends, was fun, I'd play it again

Firewatch
For getting a fuckton of mileage out of very little

What Remains of Edith Finch
For that one bit

Slave of God
probably feels shit now but when I first played it I was pretty blown away by how strong of a vibe such a no-budget indie had

The Beginners Guide
Probably won't age too well either but it was super neat to see a videogame version of those films by writers with writers block writing about writers block.

Return of the Obra Dinn
Aesthetically fantastic,  put together pretty immaculately. It really should've been far more frustrating than it was.

Journey
Pretty good, yeah

Games I wanna check out:
Sayonara Wild Hearts, Superhot, Tetris Effect, Papers Please, Gorogoa, PT, Death Stranding, Burnout Paradise HD, DJ Hero 2, Animal Crossing New Leaf, the Last Guardian, a Fire Emblem...

and loser of the decade for me is Kentucky Route Zero, a game that felt really neat and ahead of the curve for the first three episodes to be so totally overran both technologically and by my attention span that I'll struggle to sit through a lets play at double speed whenever it finishes.

I didn't think Superhot was all that good really. I see a lot of folk calling it a sort of action puzzle game, but it's really just a bare bones shooter with cheat mode permanently enabled. Also the whole meta "Ooh, you're playing a violent game. You're an arsehole" story is a big pile of wank. Stylish presentation, though.

Burnout Paradise is every bit that good.

Kryton

No mention of Minecraft or Rocket league?

Thursday

For influence and significance it has to be Dark Souls, right? Whatever your opinion on it.

Although this was supposed to be personal favourite so... hmmm...

I'll try to do something properly tomorrow.

Zetetic

Quote from: Lemming on December 18, 2019, 04:39:54 PM
Happy to agree to disagree with anyone about post-NV Obsidian.
PoE seems to have achieved what it aimed to, even if that turned out not to be something that many people actually really wanted, even if they thought they did. I found it increasingly interminable.

By contrast, I thought Tyranny was good, for being much more focused. But I'm not sure it's really stayed with me.

I think mine might have been The Outer Wilds, if I'd had more energy in the last few months. I wonder if other people will be able to copy this way of building a puzzle game.

Life is Strange is probably one of the games that was most important to me, but it is just a well-produced Choose-Your-Own-Melodrama.

Dirt Rally, European Truck Simulator 2 and Diesel Train Simulator were good for fairly different types of mindlessness. I need to go back to Brigador and Nuclear Throne, for another kind again, but I'm not very good at either.

Nidhogg and Sonic etc. Racing Transformed for playing with other people. There must have been a better kart racer in the last decade though.

Civilisation 5 and XCOM (and 2 - WoTC) for playing until I felt several kinds of sick, and cobbling together pointless aesthetic mods. I should try to revisit the former, having played Civ 6 a bit.

Too soon to know if Disco Elysium will really stick with me.

Zeno Clash was released in 2009, and I remember it which is something. Must be something else from earlier in the decade that's fallen out of my head.

Custard

Fallout: New Vegas

Glitchy to fuck on release,  but no one remembers that now as it was great. Though I remember it, so maybe everyone does

I must have pumped over 100 hours into the glitchy cunt. Proper going to bed at 5 am mentalness

You can put this down to me being an ignoramus, who's never played the first two "proper" games in the series, but I tend to look back on Fallout 3 more nostalgically than New Vegas. At the very least, I don't get the idea that NV made 3 look like a bag of shite.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 18, 2019, 04:58:50 PM
Fallout > Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout 2 >Fallout 3 > > > > > Fallout 76

Note to all nerds; I didn't forget Brotherhood of Steel or Tactics, I just didn't care to include them.

Fallout 4?

Lemming

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 19, 2019, 01:28:13 AM
You can put this down to me being an ignoramus, who's never played the first two "proper" games in the series, but I tend to look back on Fallout 3 more nostalgically than New Vegas. At the very least, I don't get the idea that NV made 3 look like a bag of shite.

It depends what you want/expect from a Fallout game, I suppose. I thought Fallout 3 was a good dungeon crawler and a great Bethesda sandbox - better than Oblivion, easily - but the setting it portrayed was a very warped and incoherent version of the Fallout setting, the quest design didn't really have the hallmarks of the original Fallouts (though Bethesda did a better job on this front than I think some people give them credit for) and I think it's fair to say the writing was straight-up nonsensical - we're trying to fix the water purifier, therefore the Enclave must be stopped from fixing the water purifier at all costs, so that we can fix the water purifier... and that's before we get onto the self-destructing computer president, the vault that "nobody enters or leaves" that can be freely entered or left multiple times without anyone noticing, or the cave full of apparently 200 year old kids.

New Vegas resurrects the original setting (close enough, anyway), brings back quests based mainly around character skills, and tries to write a believable world with a semi-logical set of factions, and all around leans towards trying to recreate a Fallout 1/2 style game, albeit in the Gamebryo engine. The dungeon crawling and action elements were sparser than in Fallout 3, though, so I think the fanbase ended up in a situation where two different groups of fans wanted two different types of game.

Luckily, we can all finally be united as one in laughing at Fallout 76.

Custard

New Vegas was also an improvement in the sense that it didn't have a lengthy setup/introduction like F3. You wake up in some bloke's house, and within 5 minutes you're out blowing off mutants' heads

I love F3, but it's a bit dreary to look at sometimes, whereas NV is teeming with colour and vibrancy

None of the missions in the Fallout games ever really make much sense, but that never matters as it's such a fun world to knock about in/devote 9000 hours of your life to

Black Ship

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Minecraft.

Not my personal fav (although I did enjoy in the early days), but probably the most paradigm shifting in creating media stars (Let's PLays, PewDiePie, all that YouTube shite).

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 19, 2019, 01:28:13 AM
Like you, Fallout 3 was my introduction to the series - picked up by chance when it was on sale in a "this looks interesting" manner. I thought it was very good, but New Vegas just added that extra 10% or so that made it one of my all-time favourites.

Fallout 4 was a huge letdown, obviously.

Pdine

Quote from: madhair60 on December 18, 2019, 01:37:38 PM
Sorry it is not BOTW. I forgot to put that in the OP.

No it is. What you missed from the OP was that you are wrong, and a cunt.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Sherman Krank on December 19, 2019, 03:44:24 AM
Fallout 4?

Oh yeah!  Duhhh.  Here's my ranking including Fallout 4 (I must have forgotten it because it was so boring)...

Fallout > Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout 2 > Fallout 3 > Fallout 4 > > > > > Fallout 76

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 19, 2019, 10:48:50 AM
I love F3, but it's a bit dreary to look at sometimes, whereas NV is teeming with colour and vibrancy

This is the main reason why I place New Vegas above Fallout 3.

popcorn

The Last of Us for me.

I'm afraid it's a rather safe and obvious choice, but I think it's really important. It was released following a decade of philosophical video game industry self-doubt about Narrative In Video Games, and demonstrated that all you need for a really good video game story is really good writing and acting, just like anything else. I was gripped.

It's also one of the very few games in recent years I've enjoyed pretty much unreservedly. Everything else I liked has had some shit three-hour sequence or otherwise major crap element, like the terrible opening and ending chapters of the otherwise terrific Metal Gear Solid 5, or the terrible third act of the otherwise terrific Resident Evil 7.

BotW is 3/5.