Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:30:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Televisual Mandela Effects

Started by George White, December 18, 2019, 11:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Remember when they said Spaced would have been better as a trad three-camera sitcom? Classic.

We seem to have lost sight of the definition of Mandela Effect in these threads and we're all just posting things we half remember but don't show up on Google searches. Anyway, here's mine.

I could swear that an episode of Top of the Pops 2 in the late 90s showed some act from the 70s performing a song called "Meat Eater" and the performance featured the band and dancers biting into large chicken legs and steaks in an exaggerated fashion, while sneering into the camera. The text at the bottom of the screen said this wound up vegetarians at the time. Anyone?

Famous Mortimer

Having a quick search for it, I discovered a Youtube video called "Pan's People - The Meat Distribution", but it turns out it was just some edited footage of them doing the Hustle, with a different song underneath it.

You could always have a dig through this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_performers_on_Top_of_the_Pops

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_performances_on_Top_of_the_Pops

EDIT: thanks to the above link, I discovered there's a band from the early 70s called Humpy Bong. This is the best band name ever.

Quote from: Kryton on December 22, 2019, 11:47:28 PM
Sex in the city was actually Sex and the city. Probably a common one this, but I would have put money on it.

I always put this one down to people initially getting the title mixed up with Caroline In The City which had been running for three years when S&TC debuted.

magval

The booklet for the new Blu-ray edition of Robocop mentions  that a generation of UK viewers insist that they saw a censored version of it on ITV on a Saturday afternoon. I think it's generally accepted that it didn't happen but I've seen it written about more than once.

Anyone here remember this?

the

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2019, 02:30:48 PMThe booklet for the new Blu-ray edition of Robocop mentions  that a generation of UK viewers insist that they saw a censored version of it on ITV on a Saturday afternoon. I think it's generally accepted that it didn't happen but I've seen it written about more than once.

I'm no expert on this, but the famous censored version of Robocop first went out on ITV in their 10:40pm slot. The booklet producers may have conflated this with the Robocop TV series, which aired on ITV on Saturday afternoons.

magval

No, I mean the chap that wrote the article in the booklet addresses that people may have misremembered it being broadcast in the afternoon. He suggests they may have confused it with the TV show as well.

the

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2019, 02:49:26 PMNo, I mean the chap that wrote the article in the booklet addresses that people may have misremembered it being broadcast in the afternoon. He suggests they may have confused it with the TV show as well.

I see. Yeah fairly sure it didn't happen - the ITV edit of Robocop (robotic police officer film) was still quite violent so wouldn't have met guidelines for a daytime broadcast. And if there's a suggestion that it was further sanitised for that timeslot, there wouldn't have been any precedent for that (around that time ITV weren't in the business of sanitising very adult films for daytime viewing).

magval

They definitely have a history of showing cut films at the wrong time, like you say with the 10.40pm showing of Robocop. I've seen Die Hard at Predator cut to ribbons well after the watershed, too.

Replies From View

An ostrich running in a desert to the chariots of fire music.

yesitsme

Clear as day I remember wathing the Challenger blow up live on John Carven's News Round.

I also remember the Challenger flying over our school on the back of another plane as was the fashion of the time.

But that wasn't on telly as well as never happening.

Icehaven

Not to get all pedantic in a style of thread I've cheerfully contributed to myself, but aren't some of these just one person misremembering something or fabricating a memory? The point of a Mandela effect is that loads of people all have the same false memory, so if it's only you it's not an example of a Mandela effect.

yesitsme

Quote from: icehaven on December 30, 2019, 11:54:36 AM
Not to get all pedantic in a style of thread I've cheerfully contributed to myself, but aren't some of these just one person misremembering something or fabricating a memory? The point of a Mandela effect is that loads of people all have the same false memory, so if it's only you it's not an example of a Mandela effect.

Isn't seeing the Challenger blow up live a fairly common one?

Less so it flying over Christ the King R.C. Primary School in Walkden.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: yesitsme on December 30, 2019, 11:43:21 AM
Clear as day I remember wathing the Challenger blow up live on John Craven's News Round.

By 1986 Shuttle launches were commonplace and weren't being covered live any more.  The Challenger blew up at 4:39pm UK time.  John Craven's Newsround was on at 5pm.  They would definitely have mentioned it, and probably would have shown it.  I remember the footage being shown umpteen times over the next few days.

famethrowa

I heard once there was a certain proportion of Americans who firmly believe they saw the Kennedy assassination live on TV as it happened, or on the news the same day, Anyone hear of that?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: famethrowa on December 30, 2019, 01:08:56 PM
I heard once there was a certain proportion of Americans who firmly believe they saw the Kennedy assassination live on TV as it happened, or on the news the same day, Anyone hear of that?

Not live, but I've heard that some believe that Zapruder brought his footage in late that same night and that it was shown on TV.

The Zapruder footage was shown on TV for the first time in 1975 on Geraldo Rivera's "Good Night America". (And in b&w and with the headshot frames removed).

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 30, 2019, 12:47:39 PM
By 1986 Shuttle launches were commonplace and weren't being covered live any more.  The Challenger blew up at 4:39pm UK time.  John Craven's Newsround was on at 5pm.  They would definitely have mentioned it, and probably would have shown it.  I remember the footage being shown umpteen times over the next few days.

Obviously I don't know, but I'd guess it was unlikely Newsround would have covered it 20 minutes after it happened. I don't think there would have been time to assess the story, process the footage and edit it, and write copy in a way that was suitable for children.

Phil_A

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2019, 02:30:48 PM
The booklet for the new Blu-ray edition of Robocop mentions  that a generation of UK viewers insist that they saw a censored version of it on ITV on a Saturday afternoon. I think it's generally accepted that it didn't happen but I've seen it written about more than once.

Bloody hell, I'm surprised that made it into the booklet. We've discussed it a few times on here, and the explanation of it being the TV show people remember seeing, not the film, seems the most likely.

There was one particular website that wrote up the "censored daytime version" story as fact and that seems to've been the source of a lot of Chinese whispers ever since.

druss

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2019, 03:38:29 PM
They definitely have a history of showing cut films at the wrong time, like you say with the 10.40pm showing of Robocop. I've seen Die Hard at Predator cut to ribbons well after the watershed, too.
The one where Die Hard has Christmas dinner at Predator's.

"Welcome to the party pal!" says Predator.

"What the hell are you!" says Die Hard.

They laugh and embrace.

Christmas classic.

We had some obscure channel from Central America on a dodgy illegal Sky service in the late nineties. In a live prank show, popstar Ricky Martin hid in the wardrobe of a young lady's bedroom, so he could jump out and surprise her. I won't tell you what happened when she returned home with her dog, but there's a reason why it will never be repeated!

the

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 30, 2019, 01:49:15 PMObviously I don't know, but I'd guess it was unlikely Newsround would have covered it 20 minutes after it happened. I don't think there would have been time to assess the story, process the footage and edit it, and write copy in a way that was suitable for children.

Newsround did report it (5pm).

There's also this Newsnight Special on BBC2 (Snow says it happened 25 minutes ago, which would put this clip at just after 5pm) - so it maybe seems that this programme was covering the launch live. (It wasn't scheduled at the time of Radio Times' publication.)

Alberon

I remember watching the Newsnight special. I'd just got back home from tech college and my Mum met me at the door and said "The Space Shuttle's exploded."

As to whether it was on air live for the launch, I dunno. There was a lot of buzz about launching a civilian teacher into space so it is possible.

Alberon

According to the BBC Genome project there was no Newsnight special scheduled for the afternoon of the Challenger disaster.

They were probably all preparing for that evening's programme when it happened so they could get on air quite quickly to cover until the early evening news on BBC 1 was ready.

the

Quote from: Alberon on December 30, 2019, 04:33:24 PMAccording to the BBC Genome project there was no Newsnight special scheduled for the afternoon of the Challenger disaster.

Hello!

Quote from: the on December 30, 2019, 04:09:33 PM(It wasn't scheduled at the time of Radio Times' publication.)

Not sure what to make of that though, the launch date changed multiple times anyway, and RT would've compiled their listings in advance, so even if Newsnight Special had been a scheduled programme, it's unlikely it would've been listed in RT.

Edit: It wasn't scheduled according to that day's Glasgow Evening Times:

Alberon

Ah, missed that bit!

Looking at the Newsnight Special it is just Peter Snow on his own. I'd have thought, even back then, that if they were doing a planned programme they would have had an expert on to talk to.

JesusAndYourBush

Nothing would have been planned.  It was the 25th launch.  By that point it was no longer a big deal and usually got about 20 seconds near the end of the news "And finally, the Space Shuttle launched today on a 7-day mission, etc..."

I once read somewhere that the planned 26th Shuttle mission was due to carry radioactive material as part of some experiment, and if that'd have been the one to blow up it'd have showered a part of America with radioactive dust.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: the on December 30, 2019, 04:09:33 PM
Newsround did report it (5pm).

I should have stopped typing after "Obviously I don't know", but I'd have put money on it being too soon after the event. Thank you for the link.

the

Yeah I highly doubt that Newsnight Special was covering it live - I was just a bit confused as to why it was a 'Newsnight Special' report going out at about 5pm, rather than a normal BBC News one. The theory that Snow was prepping material for the normal Newsnight edition is plausible.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 30, 2019, 05:29:14 PM
I should have stopped typing after "Obviously I don't know", but I'd have put money on it being too soon after the event. Thank you for the link.

Some reminiscences from Newsround's Roger Finn:

Quote from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/static/find_out/guides/30_anniversary/1986.stmThis was one of Roger's first bulletins - minutes after the space shuttle Challenger exploded.

He writes: "The Challenger explosion was not quite my first time in the Newsround chair - it was more like my sixth or so. Even so, you can see from the look on my face that I was plumbing new depths of stark fear.

"The news broke about fifteen minutes before we were on air, and an important principle was established: if a major news story broke during Children's programmes then Newsround would break it.

"On this occasion I remember Julia Somerville coming into the studio and some sort of 'conversation' going on between Children's and News. Children's won and we did the newsflash."

idunnosomename

this challenger mission was a fairly big event because of the teacher on board. it wasnt quite just another STS launch.