Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:02:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Televisual Mandela Effects

Started by George White, December 18, 2019, 11:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

The Space Shuttle had a fax? Ha ha, the 80s.

buzby

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 07, 2020, 12:26:38 PM
The Space Shuttle had a fax? Ha ha, the 80s.
It certainly did  - the Text And Graphics System (TAGS), which used satellite links to communicate with the earth stations. It also had a backup teleprinter that was used befor the TAGS system was finished, and in the event of loss of satellite comms.

Blumf

And an Interflora affiliated florist.

idunnosomename

Bubblegum pop duo Shampoo thought the best way to escape trouble was to catch a ticket on the next space shuttle. Since the end of the STS programme, this is no longer an option.

Also I was sure this song was by Daphne and Celeste and came out much later than 1994 so there you go. Sort of on topic again.

Glebe

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 18, 2019, 01:02:22 PMUntil YouTube came along I'd have sworn that me seeing Rik Mayall appearing on Cannon & Ball was a false memory.
It just didn't make any sense that he'd be on it, and no one else seemed to remember it.

Delighted to have been proven correct, but it still doesn't make any sense.

I know the clip is on YouTube, but just thought I'd add that he mentions it in this Wogan interview.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 29, 2019, 11:00:29 PMAn ostrich running in a desert to the chariots of fire music.

Mebbe you're thinking of this?

Oh and btw, I had an toy A-Team van too.

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 03, 2020, 12:27:08 PM
If you think the Challenger is harrowing read up on bits of the crew of Columbia getting strewn across rural Texas in 2003

Why would you want to do that?

KennyMonster

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 07, 2020, 01:51:12 PM
Bubblegum pop duo Shampoo thought the best way to escape trouble was to catch a ticket on the next space shuttle. Since the end of the STS programme, this is no longer an option.

However they did manage to get a car moving down a road before realising that neither of them had any idea how to drive one, that's fairly impressive or incredibly lucky guesses of what to do, I think ( unless it was parked on the top of a hill and they just released the handbrake).

Glebe

Not really a Mandela Effect but this Guinness ad ('Big Wave') made a big impact on me as a kid, though I remember it from screening at the cinema more from TV. Christy Moore's 'Delirium Tremens' mentions it:

As I sat lookin' up the Guinness ad I could never figure out
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout.

It inspired this 1999 Guinness ad ('Surfer'), which was directed by Jonathan 'Under the Skin' Glazer and while there's a Wiki page for the latter ad I'm surprized there's not much info about the old one (bit of info in the YouTube comments and here), it was a bit of an iconic ad but it's probably not hugely well known outside of Ireland, being Irish-made and possible only shown here. If there's a 'Mandela Effect' element to this it's that I thought I heard that Joe Walsh played on the instrumental theme but that's not the case... apparently it was composed by Bill Whelan, who wrote the Riverdance tune and the saxophonist was Rafe Ravenscroft, who played sax on 'Baker Street' et al for Gerry Rafferty (obviously Bob Holness under a pseudonym!).