Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't Fuck With Cats

Started by Utter Shit, December 19, 2019, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 06, 2020, 08:16:09 PM
As far as I remember, they "tweeted" the police about the cats and were outraged that the police paid them no mind.

Gawper was so staggered by this. Thankfully the interview with the victim's friend is a bit more reflective, standard fare, but at least sane.

BlodwynPig

It really is a documentary for the LOLZ CAT generation.

BlodwynPig

"we don't have boots on the ground"...FFS

BlodwynPig

German police officer "So I was driving in my van, training 8 cadets..."

Lady Gawp: "Then all of a sudden the most Badaaaaassss German fucking police department walk in...there were 10 of them"

DOOFUS CUNT

BlodwynPig

Fucking cheek

"And you! Are you complicit?"

Nah, fuck you Gawper, had nothing to do with the murder. But those were my hands in that python video next to Sharon Stone's.

EOLAN

Yep. Nice to have someone else on board this absurd tale of two absolute useless internet sleuths. Making out they were super clever to discuss the Sharon Stone connection when I was like how did it take them so long. Similarly finding out what streets on google maps.
All they did that was anyway effective was potentially drive the young troubled Namibian man to suicide.

BlodwynPig

I now realise almost everything I've been rage posting has been said on the previous page, often much more eloquently.

Off to vacuum pack my brain

EOLAN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 06, 2020, 11:07:59 PM
I now realise almost everything I've been rage posting has been said on the previous page, often much more eloquently.

Off to vacuum pack my brain

Nah - it's good to relive people experiencing those horrible amateur sleuths.

Hand Solo

A lot of amateur detective internet sleuths achieve incredible things the police missed.

I'm glad this exists though to show a lot of the fat American internet sleuths who want to be in documentaries don't do much.

Moribunderast

Watch (or read) "I'll Be Gone In The Dark" to see what an actually intelligent, hard-working amateur sleuth (Michelle McNamara) can achieve and then contrast it with the morons on this documentary. I still get offended whenever I picture that dickhead turning to the camera and asking if the viewers are all complicit. FUCK. OFF.

paruses

Quote from: Moribunderast on August 07, 2020, 01:42:09 AM
Watch (or read) "I'll Be Gone In The Dark" to see what an actually intelligent, hard-working amateur sleuth (Michelle McNamara) can achieve and then contrast it with the morons on this documentary. I still get offended whenever I picture that dickhead turning to the camera and asking if the viewers are all complicit. FUCK. OFF.

Just looked that up. The sheriff or lead investigator or whatever credits the author as keeping the case alive in people's minds but with no material effect on catching g the killer. Have any of these sleuths efforts lead to an arrest?

Would be interested in seeing the docu to see her process though.

Quote from: Moribunderast on August 07, 2020, 01:42:09 AMWatch (or read) "I'll Be Gone In The Dark"

Thanks for the recommendation. Mixed feelings about it. I really don't like Patton Oswalt, that was my main take away.

The stuff about the case was compelling but the bits about the woman writer and her life were far less interesting.
It felt like they were overselling how fruitful all her research was.

Really hated the final episode. I'm all for putting the spotlight on the victims, but not if it's gonna be an hour of mawkish shite. They deserved far better than that.

Felt like they strung it out too thinly as usual. Two episodes would have been more than enough, I think. There was a lot of filler there. I stayed up to watch 4 episodes in a row so it must have done something right!

Moribunderast

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 10, 2020, 03:53:11 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Mixed feelings about it. I really don't like Patton Oswalt, that was my main take away.

The stuff about the case was compelling but the bits about the woman writer and her life were far less interesting.
It felt like they were overselling how fruitful all her research was.

Really hated the final episode. I'm all for putting the spotlight on the victims, but not if it's gonna be an hour of mawkish shite. They deserved far better than that.

Felt like they strung it out too thinly as usual. Two episodes would have been more than enough, I think. There was a lot of filler there. I stayed up to watch 4 episodes in a row so it must have done something right!

I think those are fair comments, though I'm a big Patton fan and liked Michelle McNamara's writing so I was happy to watch the bits that focused on them. Where I am contrasting her work with the idiots from Don't Fuck With Cats is that her writing and research actually did bring the cold case to light and her work, as well as her friend's work, seemed to push things forward, even if they didn't necessarily result in the ultimate conviction. Whereas the DFWC people just posted hysterically and re-watched murder tapes until the murderer showed up online and said "Hey, my name is (suchandsuch) by the way." They did NOTHING which made their smug pride and attitude of "Oh why wouldn't the police listen to US?" infuriating. As you saw in I'll Be Gone In The Dark, the police did actually listen to Michelle because they could see she was doing smart research and might be an asset, as opposed to just being an ass.

I've never seen his comedy, but he just came across as a smug actor playing himself badly, never really sure of his motivation, just going through the motions. A wafer thin veneer of a human being.
Probably unfair, not really sure why I found him so repellent, but it's good to listen to your gut sometimes and I wasn't getting anything but wrong vibes from the guy. Not really sure why he rubbed me up the wrong way.

If it turned out at the end of the show that he did all the murders and killed his wife because she was getting too close, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. That old guy was a distant cousin and he drove to his house and spunked in his bin.

I did laugh when she was talking about everyone going to bed and her staying up to delve into her 15 inch hatch of wonders. I thought she was talking about her massive fanny.

I'll give Oswalt's comedy a go when I get the chance. I feel bad for disliking him so quickly for no reason.

Yeah, that's a fair comment, compared to the cat people, she was Sherlock Holmes!

Moribunderast

Naw, Patton's a sweetheart. He's one of the very few who would stun and dishearten me if he were MeToo'd or had some kind of awful scandal. And while I like his stand-up, I'd highlight his performance in PFFR's excellent show, The Heart She Holler, as a particularly joyous comedy showing. Definitely something I'd recommend.

I would not recommend Don't Fuck With Cats though. Nope.

I wonder what crime those sleuths are currently not-solving? Gotta be stressful to wait for the criminal to get wind of your Facebook group so he can out himself after growing tired with the lack of progress in investigation!