Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Witcher [Netflix]

Started by Ja'moke, December 19, 2019, 06:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

Quote from: Blumf on January 08, 2020, 04:15:02 PM
Never played the game, but enjoyed it. The wife absolutely loved it and will be grabbing the books soon.

Didn't love the time skipping narrative, but didn't hate it. Struggled to care about that blond girl princess character, but liked the rest.

A big misstep with her I thought - her character in games/books is very affable, extremely capable and dare I say "sassy"
The frightened little runaway was misplayed and the character was weakened considerably compared to the source material

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I just finished it. It was fine, I guess, but I'm genuinely baffled by the more effusive praise it's received.

The whole series feels like an extremely drawn out prologue to the real story. Hopefully the second one will be more to the point.

bgmnts

I'll only watch it if Geralt spends over 40 hours playing Gwent and shagging prostitutes, like the source material.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 10, 2020, 12:57:00 AM
I just finished it. It was fine, I guess, but I'm genuinely baffled by the more effusive praise it's received.

The whole series feels like an extremely drawn out prologue to the real story. Hopefully the second one will be more to the point.

Having only played the third game, this did basically feel like it was just giving me the backstory.

olliebean

I reckon Netflix has delivered some of you a different version of this from the one I've got, because I got about halfway into the first episode before I couldn't take any more of its awful one-note po-facedness. I didn't like GoT, but I'd take it over this any day. Watched AJ and the Queen instead, which is massively clunky and predictable and definitely "when there's nothing better to watch" viewing, but at least the characters feel like they have some life in them, which is more than I could say for what I saw of this.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: olliebean on January 12, 2020, 07:03:36 PM
I reckon Netflix has delivered some of you a different version of this from the one I've got, because I got about halfway into the first episode before I couldn't take any more of its awful one-note po-facedness. I didn't like GoT, but I'd take it over this any day. Watched AJ and the Queen instead, which is massively clunky and predictable and definitely "when there's nothing better to watch" viewing, but at least the characters feel like they have some life in them, which is more than I could say for what I saw of this.

You've made the mistakes of paying attention and expecting it to be good.

Hey, Punk!

Henry Cavill is one of those men who makes me feel like shit whenever I look at him, he's just too good looking. Even my much stronger hairline doesn't make me feel better

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 10, 2020, 08:01:18 AM
Having only played the third game, this did basically feel like it was just giving me the backstory.
I think the games are set after the novels, upon which this is based, so you might be stuck with that feeling.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on January 12, 2020, 08:26:29 PM
Henry Cavill is one of those men who makes me feel like shit whenever I look at him, he's just too good looking. Even my much stronger hairline doesn't make me feel better

It's not just his looks, he's built like a brick shithouse too, so he could beat you up and look pretty doing it.

Waking Life

I watched the entirety of this and while it was obviously compelling enough to keep me watching (although knowing it was 8 episodes helped massively), it was pretty poor overall. One of the worst orgy scenes I've witnessed (seasoned vet). Not sure how serious it is trying to be in all fairness, but it seemed as if it was trying to be weighty alongside Cavill's 'comedy' 'fucks'. It'll run for a long time I expect given the fan base and genre (everyone talks about GoT, but fantasy will have a strong following regardless), unless Netflix hits its slump.

Cuellar

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 13, 2020, 02:26:17 AM
It's not just his looks, he's built like a brick shithouse too, so he could beat you up and look pretty doing it.

Imagine the size of his balls.

But yeah, he's basically the living embodiment of 'Chad'. But the nerds of reddit love him because he says he play computer games on computer and is nerd like them.

olliebean

Seen loads of comments and articles going on about Cavill's voice in this as if it's something remarkable rather than just the voice that every male actor doing any vaguely macho role has been doing for the last decade and a half.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I liked the bit where he said "fuck". As far as I'm aware, in the games at least, he never says that. I don't think he even swears. Maybe in the books he's swearing like a sailor.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 13, 2020, 02:26:17 AM

Perfect face, perfect body. What is the point of me?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

^ Dunno. Maybe he's got a smaller cock than you. That's something to be cheerful about.

I assume Tom Cruise must have felt similarly insecure/aroused by Cavill's handsome beefiness, hence Cavill spends the entirety of his Mission Impossible role being made to look like a chump with an ugly moustache.

What do we think his odds are of being the next James Bond? I'd have said Michael Fassbender was perfect casting, based on his introductory scenes in Xmen First Class but he's possibly a bit old to take on a decade+ long commitment now (although Craig is still playing the role in his mid 50s). I'm not sure Cavill has proven himself as an actor, which could count against him, now that people seem to think Bond is a respectable series and not of a load of old twaddle. Aside from that, the other potential obstacle would be if the producers listen to Twitter and decide to cast a black actor (although, in that case, they should clearly go for Chiwetel Ejiofor, not Idris Elba).

samadriel

Can we leave the Bond talk out of the Witcher thread? Thank you.

Dex Sawash

If we can just agree next Bond should be Colin Farrell

robotam

Was fun. I enjoyed the series enough to get the first book of Witcher short stories.

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 23, 2019, 08:15:30 PM
So ripping off jokes from the Lego Movie then?
The joke was in there so they definitely didn't rip it from lego movie.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 13, 2020, 04:53:56 PM
If we can just agree next Bond should be Colin Farrell

The name's Bond. Gerald Bond. From Rivia.

Inspector Norse

Cerys

Just finished watching it last night and fucking loved it.  For all those saying it's trying to be Game of Thrones - you're wrong.  It's trying to be Hawk the Slayer.

Cerys

HAWK THE SLAYER IS NOT RUBBISH!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You just liked it cos you got a good sken at Gerald's muscley chest.

Cerys

Nah, muscles don't do it for me.

Blumf

Cerys

Only on alternate Thursdays.

Quote from: Cerys on January 21, 2020, 03:35:33 PM
Nah, muscles don't do it for me.
I'm sure you found the long haired man with all the swords utterly repellent.

Cerys