Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Witcher [Netflix]

Started by Ja'moke, December 19, 2019, 06:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 13, 2020, 12:28:31 PM
I liked the bit where he said "fuck". As far as I'm aware, in the games at least, he never says that. I don't think he even swears. Maybe in the books he's swearing like a sailor.

Started a replay of Witcher 3 now and he's definitely had to put a few crowns in the swear jar, though no "fucks" as yet. He's more of a "shit" man.

It reminds me of Spartacus.

I know Spartacus is ridicules by many and is somewhat ridiculous, but I love it.

I like this too.

Dog Botherer

gonna rewatch it tonight. can't wait to actually understand what's happening.

king_tubby

Spartacus: TITS and GORE is one of my favourite programmes ever, and I think your comparison is very valid.

On my third watch of the Witcher now.

Hmmmmm.

homesickalien

Anyone catch season 2?

Thoughts?

mothman

Only one episode in so far, but it feels like more of the same. It's a pleasant watch that I don't have to think about.

Which is probably just as well, because if anybody asked me what this show is about, I'd struggle. "There's this guy, he hunts monsters, he's protecting this girl who has weird powers that are important for some reason, meanwhile one half of the continent is invading the other half but I don't understand why, and both sides are helped by wizards who are all meant to be on the same side but have picked sides and I don't know why that's happened either..."

Some of Cavill's dialogue in the ep was delivered in a style that reminded me of Daniel Craig's Bond. So I can sort of see why people might think he'd be good as the next one. If they wanted a Bond the same as the last one, which I'd be justified in doubting.

druss

Liam Hemsworth replacing Cavill from season 4... I thought Cavill did a decent job but unlike some I don't think he is irreplaceable and I can imagine others doing an equivalent or even a better job.

Liam Hemsworth is not one of those others. I kept forgetting who he was when I watched The Hunger Games films, such was his lack of any screen presence or charisma.

Could probably pick any Game of Thrones actor at random and they'd do a better job.

Chollis

yeah that's a genuinely dreadful recast. sake

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The last season was some dreadful shite. Apparently Henry was battling the scriptwriters constantly over keeping it true to the books, whereas they wanted to do their own thing, which is why it was rubbish. I just wish it hadn't been picked up by Netflix, because that's more or less a guarantee nowadays that it'll be poor. Getting the dunce Hemsworth in is just the final nail in the coffin.

druss

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 03, 2022, 04:00:14 PMThe last season was some dreadful shite. Apparently Henry was battling the scriptwriters constantly over keeping it true to the books, whereas they wanted to do their own thing, which is why it was rubbish. I just wish it hadn't been picked up by Netflix, because that's more or less a guarantee nowadays that it'll be poor. Getting the dunce Hemsworth in is just the final nail in the coffin.
I still found the second season watchable but it was very frustrating. I read from one of the ex-producers that some of the writers thought the books were shite and openly mocked them, hence all the changes. Off the top of my head, so far they've made Geralt, Jaskier, Yen and Vesemir act completely out of character with absolutely no justifiable reason. I don't mind when TV shows make changes to source material, but only when it makes sense to do so. The Eskell change was also bizarre, felt like an open "Fuck you lol" to fans.

I imagine season 3 will sink even further, hence Cavill leaving. I'll still watch it but will probably tune out for season 4.

NoSleep

There's a petition asking that Cavill stays and that Netflix sacks the showrunners and writers instead:

https://chng.it/hzpRbjsWJ2

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't expect Hemsworth will make that much difference. It's not like it's a particularly good show anyway.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That's quite a lot of signatures, but do these online petitions ever actually achieve anything? It always feels like a futile gesture.