Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tenet

Started by Head Gardener, December 20, 2019, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

love how children are always out of focus in his films, like mythical creatures

thugler

Quote from: mjwilson on September 15, 2020, 05:46:04 PM
She is told to wait until
Spoiler alert
the algorithm has been rescued
[close]
before killing him. But she realises she is about to run out of time and miss her chance, so she kills him anyway,
Spoiler alert
because she is a bit bored by the whole plot about the algorithm
[close]

Noone bothers to suggest they just destroy the bloody thing either so they? They probably can't because it's full of 'time magic'

beanheadmcginty

That final scene could've been a triumph if he'd used the reverse time logic properly and it was two armies shooting each other and bringing soldiers back to life. Start with one on each side and by the end of it there's fucking batallions of blokes as they get the bullets sucked out of them.

Chairman Yang

Presumably somebody had the job of making sure the choreography all made sense forwards and backwards and nobody had the job of making sure any of the action sequences were fun or imaginative.

I mean... it's like fucking Screenwriting for Dummies, I know, but the whole reverse bungee jumping bit at the start perfectly sets up a bit at the end where your man just hoofs himself into the air by anti-jumping off a collapsing building or something.

GMTV

Saw this last night after a few pints of TENNENT, and also had a carry out in the cinema too. Probably not the best film to have seen pissed, although maybe it was considering it was deliberately trying to be confusing.

Barely understood what was going on beyond the first scene really. Just took each scene on its own from that point. This scenes a batman bit, now it's bond, now generic action sequence, cod science exposition, back to bond again, now it's inception... Was enjoyable enough on that basis.

One of the most memorable bits for me was Michael Caine properly eating his lunch. He seemed to be really setting about a meal, which made it hard to hear what he was saying as he was chewing away. 10/10.

lipsink

I think Caine only agreed to do it if he got his lunch. And got to eat it while they filmed his scene.

Keebleman

No-one should go to this film with the intention of following the plot because a) it's impossible and b) even if it were possible it wouldn't be worth it cos you can tell it's bollocks.  The consequences of time travel, FFS. It's the sort of stuff 12 year olds ponder over! That said, I was never really bored during the 150 minute run-time, largely cos of the action scenes which are usually well presented by today's standards (ie you could usually tell what was happening within the scene).

But Denzil Jr was rubbish!  Ok, he was pretty good at the fights and he can't be blamed for the fact that the rest of the time he was either delivering great gobs of exposition or having them dumped on him, but he is clearly from the Syd Little-inspired not-pretending-to-be-just-standing-there-looking-bewildered-but-really-is-just-standing-there-looking-bewildered school of acting.  He was just a blank.  If he'd had a bit of oomph to him then maybe the movie might have been more than just spectacle.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He was much better in Blackkklansman, so I'd feel fairly confident laying the blame at Nolan's feet.

It's tanking in the states apparently. They were obviously hoping for a drawn out, sleeper hit sort of success, but it's not happening. And, quite frankly, it serves them right. In any other year, this would just be an overrated disappointment, but in 2020 it's a monstrous act of hubris.

lipsink

Is there actually any other films on the States for comparison? It's really not the film to bring people together and rushing back to the cinemas, is it?

El Unicornio, mang

People just aren't going to the cinema period, but it's still the most successful post-Covid release, currently at about $250 million so likely to just about break even when you factor in marketing and other costs. I'll be interested to see how Black Widow, No Time to Die and Wonder Woman 1984 do in comparison though, that will be the real test.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I think every other would be blockbuster has been shunted to next year. The only potentially comparable film out now is The New Mutants, which was probably doomed to failure, even in normal conditions. Other than Marvel, Nolan is the only sure fire hitmaker in Hollywood. If anything was going to be a box office smash this year, this would be it.

lipsink

I feel like it was maybe used as a litmus test to see how well it would do. Bond or Wonder Woman films feel like more reliable, fun and escapist films to open with post COVID. I'd far rather see them after having been locked up for months than a film that's near incomprehensible and where I can't even hear the dialogue.

I mean, I am a big Nolan fan but this was a big mess.

Dannyhood91

I saw this yesterday and my thoughts are

Elizabeth Debicki is tall and pretty like a ceramic horse

Michael Caine saying "secret soviet cities" is really funny

Everyone in this film except Robert Pattinson is really miserable

This film is kind of stupid

This film is very loud

I didn't understand parts but only because I didn't really give a fuck

Blinder Data

Why does Nolan try to give his characters motivation, when everyone knows they are always boring automatons? Protagonist wants to save girl. We don't care about girl! Just stick to the bigger problem of the world ending, mate.

I felt like it had an interesting concept which was squandered with Doctor Whoesque "timey wimey" solutions. Aaron Taylor-Johnson did a perfunctory impression of Tom Hardy, while Robert Pattinson was fun mostly for his mad accent. I found Washington pretty wooden in BlacKKKlansman so was not surprised he underwhelmed here, but he convinced physically at least.

Loved the non-CGI action scenes, especially the plane sequence - I'm guessing it's high-quality models that made that happen. But one of my favourite moments was when the main villain, a dangerous Russian arms trader, was mysteriously kept out of shot until the big reveal showed the audience he was...
Spoiler alert
Kenneth Branagh
[close]
! TBF he was very good but that first reveal was hilarious. Nolan does not understand humour at all.

The bromance scenes
Spoiler alert
after the bomb went off at the end
[close]
were painful. Probably his worst film of his I've seen.

5/10

mjwilson

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 28, 2020, 07:51:22 PM
Loved the non-CGI action scenes, especially the plane sequence - I'm guessing it's high-quality models that made that happen.

Big fuck-off plane mate

beanheadmcginty

I had no idea until just now that this dude is Denzel's son.

Custard

Yeah, Denzel from OFAH

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: lipsink on September 25, 2020, 03:42:36 PM
Is there actually any other films on the States for comparison? It's really not the film to bring people together and rushing back to the cinemas, is it?
Just looking at the international charts for 2020. Tenet ($307m) is third, but the only other post-March film in the top 10 is Chinese actioner Legend of Deification. Mulan made $66m worldwide (getting some foreign release, presumably in China), but the next-best in US cinemas were The New Mutants and Unhinged which made less than $40m worldwide. Looking at the US figures everything in the top 10 is pre-lockdown, with Tenet at 11, and then it's New Mutants at 20 with $21m. I can't find a good summary of British figures, but shitty Russell Crowe thriller Unhinged was UK box office #1 for almost a month (interrupted by that recent blockbuster Inception).

You would think family movies would be a better bet for cinema with families allowed to sit together and children less prone to dying of COVID, but evidently studios prefer to hit them with premium VOD.

BTW, for fans of bad movie journalism after yesterday's "Bond killed cinema" today the Grauniad offers "Tenet didn't just fail to save cinema – it may well have killed it for good".

popcorn

Shite boring film. Is it Bond? Is it Gone Girl? Is it The Man From Uncle? Is it Primer? Is it fucking over yet?

The premise needed a few specific, concrete, simple setpieces. More like the punch-up. Less like the paintball.

Small Man Big Horse

This is now available, but having skim read the thread I don't think I'm going to bother with it.

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 28, 2020, 01:39:04 PMThis is now available, but having skim read the thread I don't think I'm going to bother with it.

Yeah, sounds like a major disappointment. Glad I didn't risk going to the pictures now.

olliebean

I'll probably end up watching it over Christmas, getting half an hour into it and giving up.

Glebe

Quote from: olliebean on November 28, 2020, 01:47:42 PMI'll probably end up watching it over Christmas, getting half an hour into it and giving up.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 28, 2020, 01:39:04 PM
This is now available, but having skim read the thread I don't think I'm going to bother with it.

I've just read this post for the film's 150 minute run time. 4 stars.

Head Gardener

sat down with wife and son to watch this last night, I'd already seen it at the cinema so was excited to see their reaction confusion. So, 5 mins in the missus bails, saying "I'm not watching anything with scenes of teeth being pulled" and vanishes to the other room, so the lad and I continue. 20 mins in he shakes his head and says "well this is just stupid, over complicated crap" and off he goes. So I thought fuck it, I'll stick with it, but I have to admit it, for me it just didn't work as well as it did in the cinema, maybe I was completely sober and focused then, but on the sofa with a glass or 2 of wine and a bar of Moser Roth it really struggled to keep my attention or understanding of the many plot threads. To be honest I'd enjoyed Mel Gibson's new one Boss Level the night before much more and that is really daft.

El Unicornio, mang

I quite liked this. Didn't have a clue what was going on, but enjoyed the locations and elaborate set pieces. I feel certain they got Aaron Taylor-Johnson in as Ives because Tom Hardy was unavailable.

Custard

The best bit is when blokey calls Michael Caine "Sir Michael"

He just needed to turn to face the camera and do a wink

Hand Solo

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 01, 2020, 10:26:09 AM
The best bit is when blokey calls Michael Caine "Sir Michael"

He just needed to turn to face the camera and do a wink

"£20 million for a few hours work, Mike, you don't even need to learn a character name or a script. Just have a meal and ramble on about any old shit and Chris will work his editing magic. Quids in!"

Exactly as I predicted it would be, just a clinical, boring, bloated, deliberately confusing patchwork to stitch together a bunch of his usual tedious setpieces of people jumping off buildings and cars in slow motion but this time a bit backwards. Yawn.

Ham Bap

Seen it at the cinema over the Summer. During the whole film whenever anything was backwards the only thing I could think about was that Red Dwarf episode. It sorta ruined the whole film for me, and possibly you now too, dear reader.

frajer

Quote from: Ham Bap on December 01, 2020, 01:11:14 PM
Seen it at the cinema over the Summer. During the whole film whenever anything was backwards the only thing I could think about was that Red Dwarf episode. It sorta ruined the whole film for me, and possibly you now too, dear reader.

Haven't seen this yet but I had the same thought when I watched the trailer. With modern filmmaking I felt sure they'd be able to make the effects look slicker, polished or more interesting, but it really does look like the footage is just running backwards and any second Lister is going to shout "unrumble" and dive backwards down a bar.