Re: Tenet
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2021, 02:47:43 PM »
His third film was Insomnia.

TNUC EGAP WEN

« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2021, 02:57:40 PM »
His third film was Insomnia.

Yeah Inception was his seventh!

Insomnia is a weird film because it's just so... normal. I've seen it twice and both times I remember thinking "that was all right" but can recall no details.

« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2021, 02:59:38 PM »
I find his films impress me a lot more on first watch but don't hold up as well to repeat viewings, possibly due to all the "woah, stop the plot and watch this crazy set piece for the next 20 mins" moments.

I've found this too - loved Dark Knight in cinema, but its flaws are more obvious on every viewing, and The Dark Knight Rises was outright dreadful when I rewatched that.

This sassy move from Catwoman dazzles me in its crapness. It's worth rewatching a few times to study how she just vaguely spins out of shot with no sense of impact. "Aargh she did a sort of cartwheel on my hand"

« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2021, 03:02:09 PM »
Sorry, yeah I meant Insomnia.

Chedney Honks

• Mood Rating (out of three): 👍👍
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2021, 07:40:52 PM »
A capable director who drastically overestimates his intelligence. His films are largely dreck.

« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2021, 08:02:30 PM »
I think his films have definitely got worse the bigger the canvas he has to work on. Memento is still his best.

Chedney Honks

• Mood Rating (out of three): 👍👍
« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2021, 08:03:16 PM »
Yeah, totally agree.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2021, 09:41:54 PM »
I think The Prestige really benefitted from being based on a (well thought out) novel. It definitely suited Nolan's interests (and he did change a few things), but it also shored up his weak spots (characterisation, human interaction).

I'm slightly surprised Nolan (to date) hasn't worked with Hugh Jackman again, as it seemed like he gave the better performance out of the two leads. Possibly Nolan hates Australians, as he hasn't worked with Guy Pearce again either.

I watched The Prestige intently, hoping to pick up on the twist/how "it" was done, so the magic machine bollocks at the end felt like a total swiz. I was also half-cut, though, so probably would have appreciated it more as a whole if I'd been properly compos mentis.

Nolan's success is odd because he sold as this director of big, exciting intellectual films, but the high concept stuff is usually lacking in any genuine imagination or intelligence, and his action scenes are usually extremely bland, anodyne and sometimes genuinely incompetently shot and only saved in the editing.

There's a good three-part video series embedded here that compares the truck chase scene in The Dark Knight (a film I really like!) with similar vehicle chase scenes in Salt and The French Connection, blowing holes in Nolan's sloppy craftsmanship. Worth checking out. The point about editing down to PG-13 affecting the impact of the film is a good one, and I wonder whether it also leads to stuff like Catwoman's hand-breaking flip looking so naff.

Anyway, I liked The Dark Knight, Inception (mostly) and Interstellar. Haven't seen Momento or Dunkirk but find most of his other films okayish. Dark Knight Rises is the only one that struck me as downright bad. Mrs Six wants to watch Tenet so I imagine we will soon. But I'm not champing at the bit.

Tags: