Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Commercial Manned Space flights

Started by Alberon, December 20, 2019, 04:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

I went out last night to look for it, and I was thrilled to see the little white dot appear in the west and sail under the moon. A darkening blue sky, no stars - only the two lads in their pod shooting along. I'm excited enough when it's the ISS or a lowly satellite, so this was a treat.

Blumf

The farts of the Dragon capsule are now intermingled with the farts of the ISS.

Alberon

The manned Dragon demo mission is due to end tomorrow. Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley should undock from the ISS at 12.34am and should touch down in the water at 7.42pm (both UK times). So hopefully there will be no problems with it. All going well the first general service launch of a crewed Dragon should take place in September with a second in Spring 2021.

Meanwhile SpaceX's SN5 Starship prototype is getting close to actually leaving the launch pad for a 150m hop. The steel can successfully completed a static fire and may carry out the hop next week.

The SN6 and SN8 are already being/have been built (the SN7 was just a simple test tank). If not the SN5 one of those might make the 20km high test flight in a window running from the middle of August to end of February.

Meanwhile Boeing seems to still be stuck in the woods.

QuoteMembers of NASA's independent panel of aerospace safety advisors raised concerns last week about quality control problems that "seemingly have plagued" Boeing's Starliner crew capsule program,

Donald McErlean, a seasoned aerospace industry consultant and member of NASA's Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel, said July 23 that Boeing is making progress toward resolving the technical problems. Boeing plans to fly a second, previously-unplanned Starliner Orbital Flight Test to the space station late this year, followed by a Crew Flight Test in the first half of 2021 with a three-person team of astronauts on-board.

"However, despite this progress, which is definite and in fact measurable, the panel continues to be concerned about quality control problems that seemingly have plagued the Boeing commercial crew program," said McErlean, a former chief engineer for the U.S. Navy's aviation programs.

RenegadeScrew

It is a bit like Formula One.  Rich shit for rich cunts and only vaguely interesting when there is a big crash.

Alberon

The Dragon capsule has completed the deorbit burn and is about to enter the usual communication blackout zone as it comes through the atmosphere.

BlodwynPig

I somehow think these rich men's pet projects shouldn't be the focus of humanity at the moment.

Alberon

Well, they're not. If this is what the majority of the planet's resources were being spent on I'd agree, but it isn't.

It is possible to deal with this AND, for instance, climate change. As a species we've just chosen not to.

Meanwhile the Dragon capsule has just got through the communication blackout and re-established contact.

Wonderful Butternut

Now, now, I'm sure we'll find all the solutions to global shortages in space...

...which rich cunts will monopolise, sell off slivers of it at artificially inflated prices and keep the rest for themselves.

Nevermind, carry on.

Zetetic

Quote from: Alberon on August 02, 2020, 07:43:08 PM
As a species we've just chosen not to.
The things choosing to fund this (and not other things) are not of my species.

Alberon

Splashdown!

Everything seems to have gone well.

Blumf

Go on. Push the button that fires the SuperDraco launch escape thrusters. It'll be a laugh!

Alberon

SpaceX's other project, the Starship had a successful 150m hop test yesterday. Here's the SN5 in flight

and here's the video of it.

https://youtu.be/s1HA9LlFNM0

Dex Sawash

Thunderbirds have slightly improved FX

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 05, 2020, 05:49:35 PM
Thunderbirds have slightly improved FX
not sure about that. gerry anderson would have stuck fins on an aerosol can and painted it red

Alberon

They're still getting there. It's thought the SN8 will have a proper nose cone and fins, but probably won't be red. Probably.

Blumf

China not exactly being careful with it's first stage returns:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1302933386990891008

That big orange plume is N2O4 rocket fuel which has broken down into NO2, a very nasty poison.

This was from an inland launch site, and apparently happens fairly often.

Shit Good Nose

I'm not sure a Kelly kettle is the best form of commercial space flight.

Alberon

The second flight of SpaceX's Starship could be in just a few hours.

The SN8 has been fitted with a nosecone, flaps and three Raptor engines. The plan is for it to ascend to about 12.5km and then return at a 70 degree angle (which is how re-entry is planned) before firing the engines and landing.

Musk reckons it has a 1 in 3 chance of achieving that. Total destruction won't be much of a setback though as SN 9 is already assembled in the hangar.

The launch window is open from now until 11pm UK time though any possible flight will happen towards the end of that time.

sirhenry

It's looking more like Fireball XL5 than anything else. Except pointing in the wrong direction, obviously.

Alberon

The launch window closes in three-quarters of an hour, but SpaceX is saying on its livestream that it could launch at 10.30pm GMT. So if you're interested now is the time to go over to the SpaceX website or the YouTube livestreams.

bgmnts

Musk-Bezos doesn't sound as cool as Weyland-Yutani does it?

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Alberon on December 08, 2020, 03:26:59 PM
The SN8 has been fitted with a nosecone, flaps and three Raptor engines.

Marlborough, Ramsbury, Mildenhall, Aldbourne, Axford, Burbage, Baydon, Great Bedwyn.

Quote from: Alberon
SN9 is already assembled in the hangar.

Pewsey, Upavon, Enford.

There's a reason Wiltshire people are known as 'Moonrakers'.

Blumf

Quote from: sirhenry on December 08, 2020, 04:24:43 PM
It's looking more like Fireball XL5 than anything else. Except pointing in the wrong direction, obviously.

Musk
Zoonie

Captain Z

Launching in about 30 mins according to this stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8bZkTjEnXw

Edit: They did have a T-minus countdown up but that seems to have stopped now. Possibly within the next hour or so.

Blumf

Ouch! It's that last metre that gets you.

Looked pretty good otherwise, nice glide.

Alberon

I was watching on the official SpaceX feed and they seemed quite upbeat with two captions along the lines of "Great Test!" and "Roll on SN9" after. Looks like the nosecone mostly survived.

For a first attempt it seemed to go very well. The three engines got it up to a good height, it glided back to the launch pad and landed on target. Unfortunately it landed too hard and executed a rapid unscheduled disassembly, but I think they're going to be pretty happy with that.

hamfist

Alberon

Couple of tweets from Musk.

QuoteSuccessful ascent, switchover to header tanks & precise flap control to landing point!

Fuel header tank pressure was low during landing burn, causing touchdown velocity to be high & RUD, but we got all the data we needed! Congrats SpaceX team hell yeah!!

So they seem to know already what caused the crash. There did seem to be a lot of venting during the initial burn, I've no idea if that was intended or not.