Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:25:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Commercial Manned Space flights

Started by Alberon, December 20, 2019, 04:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

SpaceX's first manned flight has been set for 27th May. It is planned that two astronauts will ride up to the ISS and spend several months docked there before returning.

The Dragon capsule being used for the flight.

SpaceX's Starship is still in the very early testing stages. The Mark 1 and the SNs (short for Serial Number) 1 and 3 all failed pressurisation tests, though SN3 failed because it was loaded incorrectly rather than an issue with the rocket itself. SN4 should be ready soon and work on the SN5 and SN6 is quite advanced.

Boeing, meanwhile, has finally given in and accepted a second unmanned flight will need to be made of it's Starliner, but that will probably not happen until October.

Blumf

Quote from: Alberon on April 17, 2020, 11:26:35 PM
It is planned that two astronauts will ride up to the ISS and spend several months coughing on everyone.

Looking forwards to this. Was worried they'd have to push it back because of the dreaded lurgy.

Aaron500

Might be an idea to test the two astronauts for Covid before we send them up to infect the ISS.

Although making them build a ventilator Apollo 13 style would give them something to do other than silly somersaults and chasing after the floating food.

Alberon

SpaceX's latest Starship test rocket has passed the pressurisation tests that did in Mk1, SN1 and SN3.

SN4 will now have a rocket motor fitted and proceed to static fire tests perhaps as early as this week. If that goes well it will be given a test flight to about 150m.

SN5, which is currently under construction, will be fitted with three engines insted of SN4's one.

Blumf

Dickie Branson's Virgin Orbit have got a launch lined up for tonight, around 1700h-2100h UTC if all goes well.

Had not heard anything about this until today. They're using an old Virgin Atlantic 747, Cosmic Girl, as the mothership.

https://twitter.com/virgin_orbit
QuoteLaunching satellites from the wing of a 747 to open space for good. No biggie.

Now I really want them to fail.

Blumf

Here it is:

https://www.flightradar24.com/OBT01/248f28fa

Currently heading out to fly around in circles off the Californian coast

You'd think they'd want a bit of publicity and do a proper live broadcast, but Virgin only seems to be good at streaming videos of left wing politicians on their trains.

Sebastian Cobb

Space X sound like a shower of wanks.

And the bonus post from a servile worm-man.

Really does seem like a story of 'libertarian tech-bro fucks up area of beauty so he can play with his toy space ships'.

Blumf

<Sad trombone noise>:

https://twitter.com/Virgin_Orbit/status/1265008105714155520
QuoteWe've confirmed a clean release from the aircraft. However, the mission terminated shortly into the flight. Cosmic Girl and our flight crew are safe and returning to base.

Alberon

Shame about the Virgin flight. Branson is a colossal bellend but I would have liked to see it work.

Talking of colossal bellends Musk's SpaceX is on track to launch the first manned flight of its Dragon capsule on Wednesday. What has probably been causing all the headaches for Rachel Monroe is the onging testing of the SN4 Starship.

Everything else at SpaceX is on hold while the Dragon flight is prepared, but it looks like after passing several static fires of the rocket successfully that it may move forward to a short hop in the next month.

If that works then it might be the SN5 that goes up to the edge of space.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 25, 2020, 08:31:20 PM
Space X sound like a shower of wanks.

Really does seem like a story of 'libertarian tech-bro fucks up area of beauty so he can play with his toy space ships'.

That seems a tad unfair, after all he's contracted by the government to deliver people to the ISS and these tests have supported that aim. I have no idea if his company's behaviour is better or worse than when they launched rockets in the past. The resort thing, i suppose.

Blumf

Here we go, manned launch today (weather permitting)

Planned launch is for 2033h UTC (2133h BST)

Live stream is running now, but there's not much to see apart from a Tesla Model X trundling about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjb9FdVdX5I

Blumf

Astronauts having a wazz right now!!

Dex Sawash

I would insist on showing up for launch at most 30 min before. Fuck sitting strapped in half a day early. Could be waxing the car or something.

Dex Sawash

Blumf

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 27, 2020, 07:45:27 PM
I would insist on showing up for launch at most 30 min before. Fuck sitting strapped in half a day early. Could be waxing the car or something.

Like your boss demanding you come in for a 9am Saturday morning meeting.

Gurke and Hare

Bence Fekete

Quote from: Blumf on May 27, 2020, 06:31:20 PMLive stream is running now, but there's not much to see apart from a Tesla Model X trundling about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjb9FdVdX5I

Loving the cosplay. May as well dress up if you're going to space.

But why are they pretending to be pushing all those buttons? Don't they realise we all know it's automated?

Blumf

Quote from: Bence Fekete on May 27, 2020, 08:44:29 PM
Wait.. is that a tumble dryer?!

Yeah, but they still have to hand wash.

Blumf

Mobius

So we can go to space but not dodge a bit of lightning.

Timewasters

Rizla

Wait wait wait the 2 astronauts are called Bob and Doug? TAKE OFF YOU HOSERS!

Alberon

Drat. Ah well, roll on Saturday.

Captain Z

What's happening, has the door lock stuck?

Edit: OK, waiting for pressure normalisation.

PlanktonSideburns

weekender

No, a sensible decision has been made not to launch in unfavourable weather conditions.

At least some good came from Challenger.

Alberon

The good from this is that there was no problem with the vehicle

Ferris

Let's cut to the chase - how soon can I do a pissed up lads weekend on Neptune?

Alberon

SpaceX has got permission from the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) to do suborbital tests of its Starship.

QuoteThe plan now is to fly this one for a short "hop" flight similar to the one conducted by Starhopper, with a maximum altitude of around 500 feet. Should that prove successful, the next version will be loaded with more Raptor engines, and attempt a high-altitude test launch.

At least that was the plan. The SN4 Starship just did this after another static fire test.

So far, no idea if there are any injuries (there shouldn't have been) or what caused this. The SN5 is near completion (if not already complete) but obviously what happened here needs to be understood.

Meanwhile the Dragon launch is still on track for tomorrow (at around 8.22pm British Time).