Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:25:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Commercial Manned Space flights

Started by Alberon, December 20, 2019, 04:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: Alberon on May 29, 2020, 08:41:36 PM
SpaceX has got permission from the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) to do suborbital tests of its Starship.

At least that was the plan. The SN4 Starship just did this after another static fire test.

So far, no idea if there are any injuries (there shouldn't have been) or what caused this. The SN5 is near completion (if not already complete) but obviously what happened here needs to be understood.

Meanwhile the Dragon launch is still on track for tomorrow (at around 8.22pm British Time).

Thanks for your updates, Alberon.

Referring to the waste-of-space thoughts on the previous page, it might be worth factoring in that NASA's entire budget is just under 0.5% of all US spending. Defence meanwhile is 15% - not including the mysterious 'black budget'. And those noodley arm-waving things at second-hand car outlets take 45%.

As to private spending? I'd say loads of useful cash is spent on crap like jigsaws and shoes. The other day I bought a packet of Party Rings. What the fuck?

One major problem will be the exodus of the rich when private space travel is perfected, of course.

Dog Botherer

lmfao well if there's one thing musk is good it it's making shitty products that explode

madhair60

love the idea of just being like yeah done with your shit, see ya and going into fucking space

Head Gardener

Did Grimes leave the cooker on while watching Elysium?

PlanktonSideburns

Edit: actually maybe I'm just being a bit of a nob about space

Alberon

As of now, the launch is still proceeding. Jim Bridenstine, NASA Administrator, tweeted a few hours ago that there was about a 50% chance of launch due to the weather.

With luck, it will lift off at 8.22pm UK time.

Blumf

Here we go again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZsnKGV8TE

Bob and Doug are in the capsule, but the weather's still a bit shit. About 2.5 hours to go.

Ambient Sheep

Heh, just came here to start a thread about it, after a friend tipped me off.  Here's what I'd already prepared in Notepad, seems to be NASA's feed rather than SpaceX's:

Making History: NASA and SpaceX Launch Astronauts to Space!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMsvr55cTZ0

(via https://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html )

QuoteSpaceX's Demo-2 mission will attempt to launch its first crewed mission for NASA today, May 30, at 3:22 p.m. EDT (1922 GMT) after bad weather thwarted its first liftoff attempt.

Demo-2 marks the first launch of NASA astronauts on an commercial spacecraft and the first launch of American astronauts into orbit on a U.S.-built vehicle from America since 2011. The weather forecast for Saturday calls for a 50% chance of good launch conditions.

The mission will blast off from Kennedy Space Center's historic Launch Pad 39A. Two veteran NASA astronauts, Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley, will be tucked inside the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule. Launch will begin a 19-hour journey to the International Space Station, where the astronauts will spend between one and four months living and working.

So a bit more info there but not much.

Blumf

Loading propellant now, weather looks okay currently.

Just under a half hour to go.

ersatz99

Should be able to see thiis passing over on second time round at 22.16 low and faintly in the west.

Blumf

Neat and tidy. Even managed to stick the first stage landing.

Will have a look at 2216h

Alberon

Seemed to go perfectly. Magnificent!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAll America has to offer 'in its purest form'

Nasa administrator Jim Bridenstine says at the moment of launch, he was praying.

"They are our team, they are America's team, this is Launch America, this is everything America has to offer in its purest form."

Firstly: Bridenstine?

Secondly: Grave, grave grave. How about not wanking yourself off in public you fucking embarrassment. The fact anyone working for NASA 'prays' is deeply depressing.

Dex Sawash

Bridenstein is a failed Oklahoma congressman, got wingnut welfare position at NASA.

ZoyzaSorris

Seems pretty bad at judging the room, really awkward. whole thing was quite v exciting apart from the out of place partisan Trump love.

bgmnts

Why do people who care about this?

Bernice

Yeah mate, it's only blasting a couple of intelligent apes into orbit, not like looking at an old leaf or poking a wet boot with a stick.

Butchers Blind

48 years since someone set foot on the Moon.  Makes you think.

Icehaven

Shit I forgot to look out west at 22.16. Will it be on +1?

bgmnts

Is Elon Musk going to own space?

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on May 30, 2020, 10:56:54 PM

Look, it's either him or Jeff Bezos!... or Dicky Branson.

Alberon

He won't have it to himself for long. But he has shown the way to do it cheaply.

Non-governmental manned spaceflight started today.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's ok, I checked and no, space will continue to be owned by Beppe from Eastenders.

Thomas

You can tune in now to watch them dock with the space station.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: icehaven on May 30, 2020, 10:50:24 PM
Shit I forgot to look out west at 22.16. Will it be on +1?

I was trying to see the ISS at 22:10 but it hadn't even got dark yet and I saw nothing.  If I'd have known about the SpaceX thing I'd have watched for a few minutes longer (and probably not seen it because it hadn't got dark yet.)

bgmnts

Musk-Branson doesn't sound as good as Weyland-Yutani.

Blumf

Latched on neatly and... for fucks sake Doug, stop fidgeting with the dashboard! The whole bloody mission he's been rubbing the console just below the monitor. Quit it!!

mjwilson