Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel apologises for mistakenly criticising a celebrity instead of a pleb [split topic]

Started by colacentral, December 21, 2019, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Thingray

Quote from: buttgammon on January 06, 2020, 07:51:23 PM
Another one for desolation there. How can such a has been be this self-obsessed? Any more narcissistic and he would be joining Linehan in the DSM.

Perhaps he thinks he's still highly popular on this forum (this must be the first thread about him in ages) and that it's generally accepted on here that The Mary Whitehouse Experience was a marvellous, marvellous series, and still discussed, in awed tones of hushed respect.

Brundle-Fly

I think Baddiel can be very funny at times. Some of the stuff he comes out with is no less offensive than a lot of the posts I read on CaB.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 07, 2020, 10:19:11 PM
I think Baddiel can be very funny at times. Some of the stuff he comes out with is no less offensive than a lot of the posts I read on CaB.
Relatively few of us are keeping up high-ish-profile careers with the sort of shite we post on here, though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 07, 2020, 10:26:11 PM
Relatively few of us are keeping up high-ish-profile careers with the sort of shite we post on here, though.

But even so...

Captain Crunch

'David Baddiel Tries to Understand' was an odd one wasn't it?  Nice idea for a show but he just didn't seem to fit, especially as he tends to make a habit of telling people how clever he is. 

idunnosomename

genuinely i cant think of anything independently funny baddiel has done. he's totally ridden off Robert Newman and then of course Frank Skinner. He was directly rude to people on Unplanned which I think even the edgiest Cabber would think as fucking nasty shit.

Brundle-Fly

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 07, 2020, 10:43:44 PM
'David Baddiel Tries to Understand' was an odd one wasn't it?  Nice idea for a show but he just didn't seem to fit, especially as he tends to make a habit of telling people how clever he is.

He's an intellectual, you know.
* Has Proustian rush - type nostalgic thoughts of the opening titles to " Top Cat"*

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 07, 2020, 10:56:00 PM
genuinely i cant think of anything independently funny baddiel has done. he's totally ridden off Robert Newman and then of course Frank Skinner. He was directly rude to people on Unplanned which I think even the edgiest Cabber would think as fucking nasty shit.

Not trying to be confrontational here but can you give some Unplanned examples? 

Edgy Cabbers?
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,77320.0.html

idunnosomename

YES I WAS THINKING OF ME TALKING ABOUT RAPE. MY CROSS TO BEAR.

look up in this thread for how he repeatedly insulted a secretary on unplanned about her weight which is what im referencing.

also fuck R4 "Tries to Understand". It was very bad. Production company shite.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 07, 2020, 11:21:20 PM
He's an intellectual, you know.
* Has Proustian rush - type nostalgic thoughts of the opening titles to " Top Cat"*

I suspect your previous post is going to get zapped soon.

Anyone remember the story Skinner told on Unplanned about knocking on Baddiel's door and waiting a while before Baddiel eventually opened it, looking a bit sheepish and with a fresh wet stain on his T-shirt around the chest?  Skinner pointed at it and hesitantly asked if it was what he thought it was and Baddiel says no... "I was wanking when you knocked, but that's just saliva from me holding my T-shirt up with my mouth."

Enjoy that image.

idunnosomename

I remember that as "I always know when he's been wanking because there's a wet bit on his shirt" *audience eugh" "no! because he's had it in his mouth"

Bennett Brauer

It's going back years but I hope I've got the gist right. [Cue someone digging it up on youtube to prove it was actually Nationwide and Sue Lawley calling at Frank Bough's house.]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Frank Skinner went on being David Baddiel's flatmate even when he was pushing 40.
They had a cat called Chairman Miaow.
Skinner moved out, and moved on.
Baddiel went on to marry Morwenna Banks, even going so far as to father a child with her; and yet, every time he appears on television with his greybeard, he still has about him the demeanour of someone who wants to point out what a crap quiz show host Henry Kelly was, although, to be fair, he'd probably make some reference to how he ( Kelly) looks like Nigel Farage , to show how he still has his finger on the pulse. Then he'd probably start plugging his latest children's book about the little boy who likes dressing up as David Walliams.

Robert Newman is 55.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 07, 2020, 11:30:19 PM
YES I WAS THINKING OF ME TALKING ABOUT RAPE. MY CROSS TO BEAR.

look up in this thread for how he repeatedly insulted a secretary on unplanned about her weight which is what im referencing.

Calm down.  I just disagree that Baddiel is no more edgy than some comments I read on CaB on a daily basis. He slightly fucked up with the Ware thing but he's hardly done a Louie CK here.

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 08, 2020, 12:19:26 AM
Calm down.  I just disagree that Baddiel is no more edgy than some comments I read on CaB on a daily basis. He slightly fucked up with the Ware thing but he's hardly done a Louie CK here.

There's a vast gulf of difference between the wit displayed on CaB and what Baddiel offers up.  He's a man who seems perpetually grumpy that an overweight person has passed in front of him on the pavement; there's nothing in any of his statements to be amused by.  It's sometimes quite bizarre what he passes off as a sense of humour.

Also the man spent a dubious amount of energy trying to prevent a Labour government.  There's plenty about him to take umbrage at.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 07, 2020, 11:25:12 PM
Not trying to be confrontational here but can you give some Unplanned examples? 

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 06, 2020, 12:05:53 PM
I rewatched some of these shows a while ago, it my be the same women you describe, they had her up to be the secretary and ended up making her cry. I think that was where Baddiel kept being shitty about her weight while Skinner was obviously uncomfortable and tried to move on. I also seem to remember him going too far with a very busty woman they had up and Baddiel wouldn't stop going on about her tits, again, to Skinners embarrassment.

phantom_power

I don't think anyone is saying he is particularly edgy. It is more that what he says is pigshit thick, especially for an "intellectual".

Brundle-Fly

I know a large majority of Cab posters can't stand Baddiel and often queue up to slag him off. He's been on its ever-expanding shitlist for years. I think its a bit galling on this thread that Frank "Most single women over thirty are as rough as old arseholes." Skinner is presented so innocently because he looked a bit uncomfortable (or pretending to be for comedic purposes) with Baddiel's comments on Unplanned. Really?

For all their faults, both of them have made me laugh a lot, especially on Unplanned, even Fantasy Football League and I hate football so I suppose that makes me a cunt on here. Again. I can live with that.

idunnosomename

Yes, it is a bit of an achievement to make Frank Skinner look like a paragon of virtue imo

Dewt

David Baddiel refused to apologise for choking to death on a sandwich, due to being dead of it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 08, 2020, 12:29:06 PM
I know a large majority of Cab posters can't stand Baddiel and often queue up to slag him off. He's been on its ever-expanding shitlist for years. I think its a bit galling on this thread that Frank "Most single women over thirty are as rough as old arseholes." Skinner is presented so innocently because he looked a bit uncomfortable (or pretending to be for comedic purposes) with Baddiel's comments on Unplanned. Really?

For all their faults, both of them have made me laugh a lot, especially on Unplanned, even Fantasy Football League and I hate football so I suppose that makes me a cunt on here. Again. I can live with that.

Can't really argue with that - except the sense which is only obvious when you look at his stuff since, that Skinner was working beneath himself back then. And part of the miracle of Frank Skinner is how quick he is.

The opposite seems true when considering Baddiel - for all the 'intellectual' stuff, he's a third rate wit. Well - based on his TV appearances, anyway.

Writing that looks like squirming, excuse making - and it probably is. But if you don't like that - consider that 'nobody's perfect'.

Also - without wanting to deviate from the consensus - I saw someone on twitter assert without expectation of contradiction that Baddiel spent the entire 90s blacked up, which isn't true in any sense. There were a couple of sketches where he did a juvenile impersonation of Jason Lee, which would be beyond the pale now, but then, in different times, were a slightly different thing.

I know Harry Enfield's Nelson Mandela, or Vic and Bob's Otis and Marvin have been discussed on here already.

Dewt

Intellectuals put effort into study, even their musings. Baddiel's idea of being an intellectual is trading off his status. And fuck him for his woke rebirth as part of the centre, pretending that he wasn't one of the leading figures of lad culture in the 90s. Literally thought as of being on the wrong side of sexism in the fucking 90s.

I agree about Frank Skinner BTW. I admire his mind but he is very icky.

bgmnts

Has anyone on CaB blacked up for laughs?

Endicott

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 08, 2020, 03:00:21 PM
There were a couple of sketches where he did a juvenile impersonation of Jason Lee, which would be beyond the pale now, but then, in different times, were a slightly different thing.

Alternative comedy threw black face out a decade before Baddiel, in the 80s. Lad culture was an affront to that.

As already mentioned by Dewt.

I know Harry Enfield's Nelson Mandela, or Vic and Bob's Otis and Marvin have been discussed on here already.

At least these had the benefit of being funny.