Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:47:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel apologises for mistakenly criticising a celebrity instead of a pleb [split topic]

Started by colacentral, December 21, 2019, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

This bit is particularly gorgeous, when he's directly slagging off Martyn to his face, before he knows who he is.
https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1207601233680306176
...the replies are gorgeous.

I also liked this one a lot:
https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1208396918587613185

Quote from: Ally Fogg on TwitterAlly Fogg
@AllyFogg

I know I'm 24hrs behind, but I've just seen the thing where the guy who co-wrote We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thang & helped inspire a whole generation to anti-fascist activism was mocked on national TV as a 'troll' by a guy who once blacked up for laughs. Just cannot deal.

Honestly shaking with anger about it. How dare they? How fucking DARE THEY?
2:40 PM · Dec 21, 2019

Quite.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 21, 2019, 08:17:34 PMThis doesn't surprise me in the slightest, after the most recent series of Taskmaster he proved himself to be absurdly stupid, and completely lacking in common sense too.

Christ yes.  Was actually left genuinely wondering if the guy should go and see a neurologist in case an early dementia diagnosis was required.

Ambient Sheep

Yup, that's the bit!  Hence his super-grovelly apology. :-D

EDIT: Found Martyn's reply, although more to the ITV lass than Baddiel:

https://twitter.com/martynware/status/1208455794716487680
Quotemartyn ware
@martynware
Replying to @AnushkaAsthana @itvpeston and @Baddiel

It really doesn't matter who I am - or at least it shouldn't - that is the entire point - ps your election coverage was utterly unbalanced, and your response should be apologising for not justifying that...

6:34 PM · Dec 21, 2019 from Sheffield, England

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 21, 2019, 08:46:42 PM
This bit is particularly gorgeous, when he's directly slagging off Martyn to his face, before he knows who he is.
https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1207601233680306176
...the replies are gorgeous.

Quite.

Christ yes.  Was actually left genuinely wondering if the guy should go and see a neurologist in case an early dementia diagnosis was required.

I remember him saying that his mum was still tying his shoelaces for him when he was about 17.
He's perhaps just a "spanner."

monkfromhavana

Martyn Ware is a bit of a star on Twitter, doesn't seem the slightest bit affected by his period of "fame" in the 70s/80s. Just does his thing.

idunnosomename

oh i get it. he means "moment of stardom" as "appearing as a tweet on a bit with me on the telly", not his music career

jesus fuck. what a cunt

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 21, 2019, 08:46:42 PM

QuoteAlly Fogg
@AllyFogg

I know I'm 24hrs behind, but I've just seen the thing where the guy who co-wrote We Don't Need This Fascist Groove Thang & helped inspire a whole generation to anti-fascist activism was mocked on national TV as a 'troll' by a guy who once blacked up for laughs. Just cannot deal.

Honestly shaking with anger about it. How dare they? How fucking DARE THEY?
2:40 PM · Dec 21, 2019

Adding insult to injury, there, I'm afraid. Ware wasn't on Dare.

Armin Meiwes

Haha just reading through this I see two days before he found out Martyn was a fellow "famous" passion he'd already told him to fuck off again loool WHAT a prat.

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1207601233680306176?s=19

Edit - I see this has already been covered

idunnosomename

if i hadnt deleted my twitter account id follow martyn ware. seems like an excellent egg.

Armin Meiwes

Looks like he always does that "bye now" thing after he's decided he's done his *BOOM headshot* witty comment. PAAAAthetic.

idunnosomename

David's twitter profile is now

"Jew"

well that's pretty clear then. since before now he's been going on about the torah pretty much non-stop!!

Armin Meiwes

Now I'm reading his tweets defending a transphobe who.. coincidence!.. is a famous writer. Just a week after telling everyone if they voted labour they are basically an anti semite.

phantom_power

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 21, 2019, 08:17:34 PM
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, after the most recent series of Taskmaster he proved himself to be absurdly stupid, and completely lacking in common sense too.

He's an intellectual though surely? He told us himself

It is pretty telling that he only apologised when he knew it was someone famous. As if making a shit bald joke about a pleb would be fair enough

Mister Six

bigfatheart

It might seem like a little, trivial Twitter spat, but this whole thing feels ridiculously sinister. ITV News brought him on as an expert on trolling because he's done a show about it, except his definition of trolling is 'anyone who dares to agree with me without first being a celeb' and their definition of trolling is 'anyone who questions our impartiality'. ITV's response to criticism is to try and humiliate somebody that they thought was helpless on national television for having the sheer temerity to question them, and David Baddiel gladly leaped in to tell the silly little pleb to know their place.

Obviously it's funny that he then felt the need to backtrack on his deeply held convictions (that people shouldn't disagree with him) when he found out he was talking to a fellow celeb, who has earned the right to express their own beliefs, and the fact that it paints him as a classic bully, flushing the little kid's head down the toilet and then apologising when he finds out that they do judo, is great. Helps that he's basically only famous himself for sitting next to people far funnier than him, like Richard Hammond in Stewart Lee's Top Gear routine.

But what can't be overlooked is that the fact that this all happened in the first place shows that these attitudes have been normalised. Not only do ITV not have to be held to account for their journalism, but they can feel free to label those who question them as 'trolls' and play the victim. David Baddiel is an expert on trolling, even though his bold stance against people who disagree with him only lasts as long as it takes to realise that they wrote Temptation. This humiliating incident is only a brief interlude in his ongoing tour of a show all about how anybody non-famous who dares have an opinion is a troll, and needless to say, David Baddiel had the last laugh. Thanks for buying a ticket, though!

Also, he was shit on Taskmaster.

colacentral

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on December 21, 2019, 10:44:14 PM
Now I'm reading his tweets defending a transphobe who.. coincidence!.. is a famous writer. Just a week after telling everyone if they voted labour they are basically an anti semite.

An anti-semitic writer, who also happens to be anti-Corbyn, so he's fine with that anti-semitism.

Thomas

This thread is a major cruel bullying group troll unless one of us has a blue tick somewhere.

BlodwynPig

Shove your blue tick up your mangy arse you fucking cunt. He's ushering in a new era of fascism. This is the middle class disease, mutated and gone rancid.

colacentral

This could go in the Boris Johnson thread too but it's worth putting here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/22/johnson-visit-to-lebedev-party-after-victory-odd-move-for-peoples-pm

QuoteJohnson was one of several top politicians who turned up to the event, held at the Lebedevs' £6m stuccoed mansion overlooking Regent's Park. Guests included David and Samantha Cameron and George Osborne, now a Lebedev employee. From the Blair-era left, Peter Mandelson and Tristram Hunt were also in attendance.

Others invited to the vodka and caviar birthday party included Mick Jagger, Princess Eugenie, the actors Matt Smith and Rosamund Pike, and the model Lily Cole. Comedians Eddie Izzard and David Baddiel, the artist Grayson Perry and sculptor Antony Gormley were also there. Missing this year was the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan.

jobotic

He's doing a show about he bested the Twitter trolls?

Imagine going to see that!

Actually we should all go. In Martyn Ware masks.

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

'Martyn Ware has behaved with considerably dignity and you've behaved like an arsehole'

Jim Bob

Quote from: jobotic on December 22, 2019, 06:28:10 PM
He's doing a show about he bested the Twitter trolls?

Imagine going to see that!

Same crowd who went to watch Gervais' last standup show, I should imagine.

j_u_d_a_s

Sin Agog

Rumour has it that Baddiel and that chickpea swapped places on Taskmaster and the chickpea's running the shop now.