Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:43:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel apologises for mistakenly criticising a celebrity instead of a pleb [split topic]

Started by colacentral, December 21, 2019, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfatheart

Again, worth noting that he didn't start tutting about "the lust of internet shaming" when ITV News asked him to humiliate some plebs for getting ideas above their station and questioning their impartiality.

jobotic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gib on March 28, 2020, 10:41:32 AM
What was the joke he deleted?

A non-joke about Whitty not following his own guidance or something. It's like the 90s never happened

kalowski

Replies From View

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 23, 2020, 11:45:01 AM

Ha one of them is showing its bottom!  Baddiel is undercutting his faux-solemnity with his inimitable classic humour and I have high hopes for this show now.

It's like when a businessman has some colourful socks just peeping out beneath his funereal black suit trouser leg attire and you think 'this guy is a fucking legend and we are gonna get on'.

BlodwynPig

Replies From View

Schnapple

I really enjoyed his last show, but an hour of Baddiel pwning faceless internet commenters sounds excruciatingly tedious.

Replies From View

Quote from: Schnapple on March 28, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
I really enjoyed his last show, but an hour of Baddiel pwning faceless internet commenters sounds excruciatingly tedious.

Not only tedious but depressing.  A bitter man with obvious psychological issues lashes impotently outwards into the ether - what's even remotely worthwhile about that conceit for anyone?

Only the trolls themselves will get anything out of this, as they are being fed.  Everyone else over the age of thirteen is shaking their heads in dismay.

the

Presumably this tour isn't currently going anywhere. (Not that it was going anywhere in the first place, comedically speaking.)

... Though I've depressed myself now thinking about the general 2021 avalanche of live shows and Radio 4 dirge that will be about 'the lockdown!!!'. They're writing them as we speak. On a Macbook, in the study.

2021 might be too early for a return to 'normality' the way things are going.

Replies From View

Quote from: the on March 29, 2020, 04:08:31 PM
... Though I've depressed myself now thinking about the general 2021 avalanche of live shows and Radio 4 dirge that will be about 'the lockdown!!!'. They're writing them as we speak. On a Macbook, in the study.

That sound desolate but I have hope it won't happen to a substantial degree.  I think most people are aware that "what's the deal with lockdowns?" would be a boring subject in itself, though I guess loads of people want to talk about what they're now doing to pass their time, and share where their creativity and boredom is taking them.

Instead I think the lockdown is inspiring artists and comedians to put material online, and it'll be interesting to see how various shows adapt to survive.  Taskmaster, for example, has become a bit like Adam and Joe's 'Black Squadron' lately.

Replies From View

Sherman Krank

petril

Baddiel's Syndrome except David Baddiel, a David Baddiel character written by David Baddiel based on David Baddiel, played by David Baddiel, is forced to share every scene with The Posh one and The American one

Ferris

phantom_power

Even when he is sort of right he is such a sneering prick you wish he wasn't. See for instance his responses to his brothers fake "child walks into the room during a live TV interview" thing:

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1252285508459339779

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on April 21, 2020, 12:10:41 AM
Even when he is sort of right he is such a sneering prick you wish he wasn't. See for instance his responses to his brothers fake "child walks into the room during a live TV interview" thing:

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1252285508459339779

Can you single out his 'sort of right sneering prick' responses to Carol Malone being a twat, please? I can't be bothered to wade through all the slurry.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2020, 12:43:27 AM
Can you single out his 'sort of right sneering prick' responses to Carol Malone being a twat, please? I can't be bothered to wade through all the slurry.

"It is quite unbelievable, isn't it, Carole?" is a bit "I got the joke and you didn't, I am better than you", as if he's never missed the point of anything, the unassailable intellectual.

A 55-year-old man tweeting like a teenage girl.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on April 21, 2020, 12:50:48 AM
"It is quite unbelievable, isn't it, Carole?" is a bit "I got the joke and you didn't, I am better than you", as if he's never missed the point of anything, the unassailable intellectual.

A 55-year-old man tweeting like a teenage girl.

That's the default position of most of us on CaB, though.

Come on, even if you can't bear Baddiel, surely, you can't be siding with Carole Malone here?

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2020, 01:10:57 AM

Come on, even if you can't bear Baddiel, surely, you can't be siding with Carole Malone here?

No, I don't like her, but I hate Baddiel's sneery superiority too.

He could have been more generous and said something like, actually it's just a joke but quite a convincing one - her mistake would still have been there for people to see. But like so many twitter scumbags he has to have a victory.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on April 21, 2020, 01:28:58 AM
No, I don't like her, but I hate Baddiel's sneery superiority too.

He could have been more generous and said something like, actually it's just a joke but quite a convincing one - her mistake would still have been there for people to see. But like so many twitter scumbags he has to have a victory.

Fair dos, I guess so. Little victories on Twitter seem a little concern these days.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2020, 01:43:05 AM
Fair dos, I guess so. Little victories on Twitter seem a little concern these days.

Actually Xi Jinping called Twitter a deadlier virus than COVID-19.

Makes you think.

Brundle-Fly

phantom_power

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2020, 01:10:57 AM

I am not siding with Malone. As I said he is right, but he is such a snide little cunt about it that I don't want him to be. This isn't his only response in this style either