Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel apologises for mistakenly criticising a celebrity instead of a pleb [split topic]

Started by colacentral, December 21, 2019, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

I was going to start a thread on this but never got round to it. So to sum it up, I follow both on Twitter. Baddiel's an arse, Ware's great (although I still find it hard to forgive him for those awful Tina Turner records in the 80s. And supporting Sheffield Wednesday).

I've also met Ware a couple of times so from this point on anyone criticising me on here is a troll. Pure and simple.

New page, a bad deal on hardware.

jobotic

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 22, 2019, 08:07:26 PM
Same crowd who went to watch Gervais' last standup show, I should imagine.

Imagine if your friend said "Hey, fancy coming to see Baddiel v The Trolls with me? That's your kind of thing, right, if I know you at all?"

Would you chin them or burst into tears?

Jim Bob

Quote from: jobotic on December 23, 2019, 12:12:33 PM
Imagine if your friend said "Hey, fancy coming to see Baddiel v The Trolls with me? That's your kind of thing, right, if I know you at all?"

Would you chin them or burst into tears?

Both, but not necessarily in that order.

lipsink

You reckon with all this discussion about racism in football Baddiel is secretly shitting himself images of his Jason Lee moment will reach a wider Twitter audience?

bigfatheart

According to this letter to the Guardian from 2013, he's only willing to go so far as to say 'perhaps' it was wrong of him to black up. He also shared a screenshot of that letter on Twitter in 2016, using it as a response to people who were mentioning it then, although it's worth noting he's careful to say he 'dressed up' as Jason Lee, which somewhat misses the point. So basically, no, he's really not that fussed, because a lot of other famous people have blacked up, and if famous people aren't allowed to decry other people's racism without ever having to confront their own, then WHAT THEN?

DrGreggles

Quote from: lipsink on December 23, 2019, 07:51:48 PM
You reckon with all this discussion about racism in football Baddiel is secretly shitting himself images of his Jason Lee moment will reach a wider Twitter audience?

They were getting shared a lot in the replies to his Martyn Ware tweets.

idunnosomename

Quote from: lipsink on December 23, 2019, 07:51:48 PM
no because he is david baddiel, who is basically the moses to corbyn's pharoah

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 23, 2019, 08:02:50 PM
They were getting shared a lot in the replies to his Martyn Ware tweets.
At least this gave me a laugh, which is more than I can say about anything else he's been involved with in 20 years.

It's always good, at times like this, to remind people who are new-ish here that Baddiel once plagiarised a joke off a (former?) CaBber, and probably did it to many other people who don't happen to be members of this fine comedy forum. Fuck him.

BlodwynPig

The Culture Bunker

I know it's the oft-repeated line that he hung onto the coattails of more talented comedians, but I do wonder what it is about him that meant Newman and Skinner let him doss about with them. Does he do all the cooking and washing up or something?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 23, 2019, 09:47:56 PM
I know it's the oft-repeated line that he hung onto the coattails of more talented comedians, but I do wonder what it is about him that meant Newman and Skinner let him doss about with them. Does he do all the cooking and washing up or something?

Skinner bonded with Baddiel over soccer, but I think it's important to Skinner not to have a professional colleague who's anywhere near as funny as he is. Which has been good for Alun Cochrane.

Bennett Brauer

lipsink

He didn't apologise to all the other tweets he slagged off did he? He's probably not learned much form this experience, I feel.

Never seen his standup but I remember he could be a nasty cunt on that Unscripted show he and Skinner did. Does anyone remember the time when an overweight woman in the audience said she enjoyed watching 'Cracker'? Baddiel then replied "As opposed to eating crackers?" Skinner looked a little shocked by it to be fair.

poodlefaker

Remember when a lot of his schtick was about the huge amounts of terrible grumble he used to watch? He can hardly claim the moral high ground.

If Twitter had existed in 1990, Baddielle would totally have been trolling Griff Rhys Jones.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: lipsink on December 23, 2019, 10:17:02 PM
Never seen his standup but I remember he could be a nasty cunt on that Unscripted show he and Skinner did. Does anyone remember the time when an overweight woman in the audience said she enjoyed watching 'Cracker'? Baddiel then replied "As opposed to eating crackers?" Skinner looked a little shocked by it to be fair.

Shocked at how witless it was, perhaps.

I recall Baddiel ("I'm an intellectual") on Unplanned saying he'd only recently realised that a blackbird was a particular species. Up till then he'd thought people were just referring to any bird that happened to be black.

PaulTMA

Has Baddiel ever attempted to atone for those 'spaz' faces he used to pull on MW and In Pieces?  Saw some Jason Lee pisstaking Fantasy Football League montage earlier, which even begins with him belming for about 30 seconds, which suggests he was still a big fan of such slapstick even by that stage.

BlodwynPig

Replies From View

I wonder if he is pausing for thought in any manner whatsoever at the moment, or if he's just blissfully tapping away at twitter again like nothing has ever happened.

Replies From View

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 23, 2019, 08:38:46 PM
At least this gave me a laugh, which is more than I can say about anything else he's been involved with in 20 years.

It's always good, at times like this, to remind people who are new-ish here that Baddiel once plagiarised a joke off a (former?) CaBber, and probably did it to many other people who don't happen to be members of this fine comedy forum. Fuck him.

What did he plagiarise from CaB?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Replies From View on December 24, 2019, 05:53:35 PM
What did he plagiarise from CaB?

Googling david baddiel nicked joke site:cookdandbombd.co.uk gives this:

Quote from: Kazuo Kiriyama on April 15, 2010, 10:20:53 PM
David Baddiel used a joke I sent him on Twitter, pretty much word for word (have to check again on +1), in response to his query before it was taped about "What would you do if you could go back in time?" - http://twitter.com/franticplanet/status/12109827204

Weird. Not sure how I feel about that. He didn't reply at the time to acknowledge it.

as the thread goes on, it transpires that DB was perhaps making a habit of this, but that he did privately contact Kazuo to resolve the matter.

Also, An tSaoi will now find himself #cancelled.

hummingofevil

There was that "they don't call her Anne 'Cot-death' Diamond or him Roy 'Cancer' Castle do they?" when complaining about being referred to as Mary Whitehouse Experience's David Baddiel. Always been a cunt.

Thomas

Dom Joly stepping in there to defend DB from a critical tweeter. Hope he checked first to make sure they weren't famous.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Thomas on January 05, 2020, 09:24:13 PM
Dom Joly stepping in there to defend DB from a critical tweeter. Hope he checked first to make sure they weren't famous.
haha that is pathetic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Thomas on January 05, 2020, 09:24:13 PM

They're probably more famous than he is these days.