Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,481
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:02:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

XBOX 360, PS3 & Revolution - News & stuff

Started by InfiniteFury, April 07, 2005, 02:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, what will you be doing later this year

Buying an Xbox 360
24 (18.8%)
Waiting for the PS3
57 (44.5%)
Buying all of them because - well, if you have to ask, you can't afford it
22 (17.2%)
Waiting for the Revolution to come
25 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Voting closed: May 18, 2005, 07:58:44 PM

terminallyrelaxed

If you read the BBC article above, they are trying for backwards-compatibility, but this is by no means guaranteed as they are having trouble with it - so thats a no, then, probably.

Yeah its a bit of and advert basically - has anyone found a clip of the actual show with Elijah Wood etc? Any chance of a torrent as mentioned a few pages back?

pandadeath

Now sure how the bandwidth will hold up, but I found the proper broadcast  http://www.fatal1ty.org/MTV_XBOX360-SCENE.wmv there. Right click, yeah?

I have to say Perfect Dark Zero will probably be very nice, looks to play very much like the original. Mmm.

Timmay

Thanks for that panda! Americans are so excitable, aren't they!

Regular John

Ghost Recon 3 is REAL! Gears of War is REAL in some kind of alternate universe!

VegaLA

MS state the 360 will be backward compatible...

"The company also announced Xbox 360 will be backward-compatible with top-selling Xbox games. In addition, more than 160 games are in development for Xbox 360, with 25 to 40 games slated for release this calendar year. All are optimized for high-definition output (720p and 1080i). The following games are among the exciting new titles, many console-exclusives, in development from the biggest names in publishing today: "

also.. they have rel an updated launch list, one of the games may upset george romero ?

"DEAD RISING (Working Title) (Capcom, Capcom) follows the harrowing tale of an overzealous freelance photojournalist as he struggles to survive an endless stream of zombies. Players will have full reign of a realistic shopping center, utilizing anything they find to fight off the flesh-hungry mob and search for the truth behind the horrendous epidemic. "

Check the full article here...

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8274/Here-Come-the-Xbox-360-Games/

terminallyrelaxed

Awesome! Shame theres no Ghost Recon on launch, but I suppose all you monkeys will be playing PGR3 so if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

QuoteAn IBM PowerPC-based CPU with three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each, packing the most advanced AI and physics processing available
A custom ATI Graphics processor and more than 512 MB of memory for high-definition games and entertainment applications
All games optimized for 16:9 aspect ratio, HD output (720p and 1080i), multichannel surround sound output, and full-screen anti-aliasing
Detachable and expandable 20GB hard drive to download demos and trailers along with new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins, community-created content and more, to rip music for playback and to listen to custom playlists in every game
A wireless controller with Microsoft®-patented wireless technology; Xbox Guide Button on every controller to instantly connect gamers to their games, friends and music, and to power on or power off Xbox 360 without their having to leave the couch
Gamer Profile software that remembers what players have achieved in games
Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live, including a built-in Ethernet port for connectivity; Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content; a Message Center to receive voice and video messages from friends; functionality that let users talk to friends, even while watching movies or listening to music; and an Xbox Live Headset
Three USB 2.0 ports for Xbox Live Camera peripheral, to plug in wired game controllers that are also common for Windows®-based PCs; to stream media from a portable media device, digital camera and Windows XP-based PC
Progressive-scan DVD movie playback out of the box; DVD and CD music and photo playback out of the box; support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, Windows Media Audio CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
Media Center Extender built in to access recorded TV (including high-definition TV) and digital movies (including high-definition film), music, video and photos stored on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs through any Xbox 360 system
Support for up to four wireless game controllers and an optional Universal Media Remote with Windows XP Media Center Edition Button for Media Center Edition functionality
Support for Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter via 802.11b, g and a
Interactive, full-screen 3-D visualizers
Two memory unit ports to save data on portable memory units, starting at 64 MB
Detachable Face so each console can be personalized
Parental Controls to help restrict the games and movies that are played; Xbox Live controls to manage Friends List, voice and video communication, and Gamer Profile sharing

Labian Quest

If the video I've seen for Test Drive Unlimited is anything to go by, the Xbox 360 is already ahead of current PC's; there are driving games out that have that amount of detail in the reflections on the cars bodywork, but I haven't seen any with the same amount and level of trackside detail (trees cars etc) I think I'll be buying one of these this year rather than upgrading my PC. Yet again.

wheatgod

yes, the new generation of consoles are, as sony say, closer to supercomputers than desktop PCs
there will always be a place for PC gaming, though

VegaLA

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Awesome! Shame theres no Ghost Recon on launch, but I suppose all you monkeys will be playing PGR3 so if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Not me ! With any luck I should be driving a big truck to block the front of the Shopping Mall entrance.

Labian Quest

Quote from: "wheatgod"yes, the new generation of consoles are, as sony say, closer to supercomputers than desktop PCs
there will always be a place for PC gaming, though

The only other thing that worries me slightly is how well it'll look on my telly; I've got 21" Sony Trinitron with SCART inputs on it, but I'm just wondering if I'll really be able to appreciate the difference in quality if I hook it up to that (I don't think I've ever seen any images with that high of a resolution on my telly before) or whether I'll have to connect it to a PC monitor to really see the improvement  (in which case I might as well be playing a PC game)

Buy your'self a cutting edge progressive-scan telly! And then wait a year to find out it's lack of compliance with high definition standards...

A Passing Turk Slipper

If I do get this one of the things I'm most looking forward to is PGR3. The Live sessions we used to have with PGR2 were the best games I've ever had online, they were great fun.

terminallyrelaxed

Aye, good times.

Theres going to be some serious entertainment on the way, PGR3 looks the only launch game that peaks my interest, but if they've got 160 in the pipeline then the sky's the limit. The graphics on that Ghost Recon 3 look incredible, watch the video and see why I love those tac-FPS games.

Timmay

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"If I do get this one of the things I'm most looking forward to is PGR3. The Live sessions we used to have with PGR2 were the best games I've ever had online, they were great fun.
They were bloody fun, yeah! Until none of you could keep up with me, and fucked off to buy something you could beat me at. Like pretty much any other game.

InfiniteFury

You and me on PGR2, anytime you like. I mean right now :-)

Anyway, welcome to the ugly:

I think they've got the plans mixed up with an 80s CDi machine. That's pretty ropey wouldn't you agree?

Labian Quest

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"Buy your'self a cutting edge progressive-scan telly! And then wait a year to find out it's lack of compliance with high definition standards...

Please elaborate....

Also, does anyone know if you'll be able to use the old school PS2 pads with the PS3 (or will it only work with wireless controllers?)  I don't like the look of that new one.

VegaLA

Don't you like the PS3 design fury ? It looks sleek to me. The boomerang has to go though....

InfiniteFury

I can only assume that the controller is a reaction to the vibrating technology lawsuit they've just been hit by. So they want to distance themselves from the Dual Shock completely.

Quote from: "Spods"Full specs

Product name: PlayStation 3

CPU:
- PowerPC-base core @3.2GHz
- 1 VMX vector unit per core
- 512KB L2 cache
- 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
- 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
- 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE (1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy)
- total floating point performance 218 GFLOPS

GPU:
- RSX @550MHz
- 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
- Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
- Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:
- 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
- 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:
- Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
- VRAM: 22.4GB/s
- RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
- SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:
- HDD: Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
- I/O: USB 2.0, Front x 4, Rear x 2
- Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
- SD: standard/mini x 1
- CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication:
- Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
- Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:
- Bluetooth (up to 7)
- USB2.0 (wired)
- Wi-Fi (PSP)
- Network (over IP)

AV Output:
- Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- HDMI: HDMI out x 2
- Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
- Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media:
- CD: PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
- DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
- Blu-ray Disc: PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

So, unless someone brings out an adaptor (which they will eventually), looks like you're stuck with the generic controller. Looks like if you threw the controller in a gaming rage, it might boomerang back and slice your head off.

InfiniteFury

Quote from: "VegaLA"Don't you like the PS3 design fury ? It looks sleek to me. The boomerang has to go though....

Christ and I just realised I wasted my 1000th post on those PS3 pics.

I don't like it at all, I think it's hideous. I mean really awful, certainly in silver.

Also that automatic feeding slot absolutely screams out scratched disks, disks jamming, problems problems problems.

I'll still get one for Grand Theft Auto mind but gah, I'll be putting a bag over it.

EDIT: Someone on another forum who's a bit more techy minded has said that on a comparison, the PS3 has more raw power but the Xbox 360 can do more with it's power. Does that sound right Timmay (you're a techy aren't you?)

Timmay

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"EDIT: Someone on another forum who's a bit more techy minded has said that on a comparison, the PS3 has more raw power but the Xbox 360 can do more with it's power. Does that sound right Timmay (you're a techy aren't you?)
Only going on what I heard elsewhere (Sony's announcement thing), but yes, I believe it technically does have more raw power. Due to the Cell processor technology I'd imagine. Not sure about the 360 being able to do more with what it has got, they're probably referring to the peripheral technologies surrounding memory bandwidth and stuff.

I'd still whip your sorry ass on PGR2 though. Such short memories around here. <shakes head in disbelief>

A Passing Turk Slipper

What the hell is up with that playstation controller? Is that a mong or are they actually going to look like that?

InfiniteFury

Well, it's going to be a case of sitting back and seeing what each of them does to be honest although I can't see myself resisting Xbox 360 and PGR.

Talking of that, we've never actually played on Live - I wasn't on until well after PGR2 died on here.

Let's be clear here - I am this game, me and it are the Matrix and I cane Level 50+ more often than not on Live oh yes indeed. Sounds like a battle, it'll have to be Nurburgring and Speed Freak for sure :-)

Timmay

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Let's be clear here - I am this game, me and it are the Matrix and I cane Level 50+ more often than not on Live oh yes indeed. Sounds like a battle, it'll have to be Nurburgring and Speed Freak for sure :-)
Oh. My. God. You are in for such a beating my friend. I literally shit this game for breakfast, and put upstarts like you in my rizla and smoke em. Whatever track, whatever car, suits me - you choose whatever you think you're best at, whatever will give you the best chance.

I'll get practicing tonight, in my sleep.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Can I trail behind in a mini while you two are battling it out? The last time I was on PGR2 was when I learnt how to do that cool spinny thing in the 911.

VegaLA

InfiniteFury

Quote from: "Timmay"
Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Let's be clear here - I am this game, me and it are the Matrix and I cane Level 50+ more often than not on Live oh yes indeed. Sounds like a battle, it'll have to be Nurburgring and Speed Freak for sure :-)
Oh. My. God. You are in for such a beating my friend. I literally shit this game for breakfast, and put upstarts like you in my rizla and smoke em. Whatever track, whatever car, suits me - you choose whatever you think you're best at, whatever will give you the best chance.

Yeah? Well I'll be playing it in my head tomorrow, when I should be working - and I won't get caught doing it either so who's hard now?
And do you know why I won't get caught? Because it lives in my fucking brain and I'm used to it - even when I'm not thinking about it, I'm playing it, shaving those little milliseconds off bit by bit.

I've met your type on Live before - are you American? They're all mouth 'an all...

Regular John

I hope Gotham TV comes with suitable Points of View style programming. I'll have to complain about the shit driving! :)

Timmay

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"
Quote from: "Timmay"

Yeah? Well I'll be playing it in my head tomorrow, when I should be working - and I won't get caught doing it either so who's hard now?
And do you know why I won't get caught? Because it lives in my fucking brain and I'm used to it - even when I'm not thinking about it, I'm playing it, shaving those little milliseconds off bit by bit.

I've met your type on Live before - are you American? They're all mouth 'an all...
You'll be playing it when you should be working? Is your poncy milk float fitted with an Xbox is it, you fucking milkman. PGR is my work. In fact, you know all the new power cables that got sent out, that was because I, me motherfucker, was too fast for it and ended up blowing the cables. All the reports of scorched carpets? I only use ceramic tiles now.

I'm not American though, so don't worry. But when I steam across that finish line with you somewhere in my rear view mirror, nationality is irrelevant, much like the hot air coming off your keyboard right now. There may be lots of mouth (and chin) over here, but there's 10 times as much behind to back it up, mark my words.

A Passing Turk Slipper

When is this epic confrontation going to take place then?