Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:05:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

XBOX 360, PS3 & Revolution - News & stuff

Started by InfiniteFury, April 07, 2005, 02:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, what will you be doing later this year

Buying an Xbox 360
24 (18.8%)
Waiting for the PS3
57 (44.5%)
Buying all of them because - well, if you have to ask, you can't afford it
22 (17.2%)
Waiting for the Revolution to come
25 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Voting closed: May 18, 2005, 07:58:44 PM

Frinky

Actually, while I'm in here... to those who got GT4, how long does it take to get to the De Lorean? I might be a big car freak but I generally find GT to be as dull as sin. I'd like to get the chance to mess around with the car, but not if it's too much effort.

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "VegaLA"
I'm pretty upset about Sony actually. I love their hardware, I was a big PS1 fan, I did have a PS2 for a while and I always target them for my Cameras. If they fuck up big and easy then it wont be good news for me as a 360 ownner, I want some threat for the 360 so MS keep doing what I want them to do, if Sony are a pushover they'll just stop trying.

That's true, comptetiton is always healthy and seeing as Sega have fucked off and Nintendo are happy to be a secondary console, it wouldn't be good for anyone if Sony completely bit the dust.

I think that it's looking more and more like Sony and MS will share the honours with Sony kings in a Japan whose racism and narrow-minded nationalism prohibits it from taking an interest in a console that isn't Japanese and MS being dominant in the US with its perfectly formed online capabilities.

I've been wondering when this would happen for a while now, but I actually wonder whether the cultural differences between Japan and America won't really start to pronounce themselves this generation.  Because, if you look at the game charts here and in Japan, we have COMPLETELY different sets of tastes.

Japan's managed to sell to the west because essentially since the Atari or the Amiga CD32, there hasn't really been a western console so for a while we were content with the table scraps from Nintendo and Sega and now, more and more, we're establishing our own tastes and preferences.

Quote from: "Frinky"I generally find GT to be as dull as sin.
Quoted for truth. I bought Gran Turismo 3 after reading rave reviews about it, only to find an incredibly unfun game. Great lighting effects, cool looking cars, indepth tuning, vast selection of vehicles, 'realistic' physics/handing... and as dull as ditchwater. Getting the various licenses is merely an exercise in tedious persistance. GT3 had the honour of being one of the few full-price games I've bought where I've sold it back within a few days of purchase.

Swinging the other way, I recently bought OutRun2006: Coast 2 Coast, which is somewhat of an antithesis to the GT series. Shiny shiny sparkling colourful graphics. Unrealistic but fun handling. OTT drifting, crashing, and gameplay modes. Pick up 'n' play. Jolly good stuff.

There must be some car racing game that combines the best of these 'simulation' + 'arcade' extremes? I've read that the Burnout series is enjoyable, but have yet to play any of them.

Frinky

Heh, I took GT4 prologue back within three hours. Maybe I could get it on eBay with a saved game card...

Mr. Analytical

GT4 prologue?  wasn't that the trumped up demo that they managed to trick thousands of people into bu...

Oh.

Never mind.

Frinky

No, it was quite different to a demo, we had this conversation the first time, and people were wittier than that, too.

wheatgod

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"I've read that the Burnout series is enjoyable, but have yet to play any of them.

PLAY BURNOUT.
Burnout 3 and 4 are in my top 5 favourite games of all time. They're just pure fun, and very varied. 3 is an edge-of-your-seat thriller, nailbiting stuff, a lot can make you crash and burn. 4 is utter carnage - you can nail any traffic going in the same direction as you, use it to take out other cars... a lot of fun. I'd edge 3 as the better experience though.

Very, very enjoyable.

EFB

Quote from: "wheatgod"
PLAY BURNOUT.

You are very very right.

Frinky

I have burnout 2, and that's a nice looking game for one that's so old, and it is a lot of fun to play. Very refreshing (though it can become a bastard). 2 is dead fucking cheap now, too. I never liked 3 becuase of the menu screen music playing in the shop 12 hours a day :(

InfiniteFury

Just a quick show of hands here, is anyone really bothered about me starting up this thread again - seeing as how the Nintendo option is now in the poll. jutl, I know you were for beginning this again

Personally I quite like the thread as it is and I think there's a lot of good reading over the course of the beginning of a new hardware generation. If anyone feels strongly about starting again with a fresh poll, say aye...

InfiniteFury

Oh and to echo the Burnout shout, it is very very good indeed on the 360, certainly if you didn't play this version on Xbox at the end of last year. An astonishingly good soundtrack as well I might add and I hate modern new-fangled music.

Mind you, I'm about to fire up Table Tennis in a minute and I expect/hope it's going to kickstart my enjoyment of Live again. Anyone else think that Live has lost it's shine this gen so far? Maybe it's just because there's too many hardcore early-adopters who can't have a laugh but it just seems to have had the fun sucked out of it. I blame TruSkill as well.

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"There must be some car racing game that combines the best of these 'simulation' + 'arcade' extremes?

Ron Seal

Burnout's OK on the 360, the thing that spoils it is the crash mode. It was way better on the original xbox, but it's worth a purchase for the online Road Rage.

Burnout - that brings back some memories.

Play it.

RHX

Anyone else getting Table Tennis tomorrow? I'm going to try and trade Condemned and a couple of other games for it in the morning and was wondering if anyone is up for some online ping-pong action over the weekend?

Frinky

Quote from: "Homer J"(picture)

I'd love to play the Dreamcast version again one day :(

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Just a quick show of hands here, is anyone really bothered about me starting up this thread again - seeing as how the Nintendo option is now in the poll. jutl, I know you were for beginning this again

Personally I quite like the thread as it is and I think there's a lot of good reading over the course of the beginning of a new hardware generation. If anyone feels strongly about starting again with a fresh poll, say aye...

My only suggestion would be to change the thread title to reflect Nintendo's.. interesting change of name.

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "RHX"Anyone else getting Table Tennis tomorrow? I'm going to try and trade Condemned and a couple of other games for it in the morning and was wondering if anyone is up for some online ping-pong action over the weekend?

Ooh, table tennis is out tomorrow? might well pick that up

Need to find some more time to play the excellent TopSpin 2 as well......

Mr. Analytical

I think it would be nice to get some inkling of where everyone stands now.  You should have XBox360, PS3, Wii and an option for people not buying anything.

The question should probably be "which next generation console will be your main console?" thereby allowing for the shiny-newness of the PS3 and Wii and the fact that a number of people might be tempted to get the Wii as a second console.

InfiniteFury

As discussed a while back it would now seem a good time to start a new gaming thread with more options in the poll so let's carry on here:

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=494471#494471

I will request a LOCK in here