Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

XBOX 360, PS3 & Revolution - News & stuff

Started by InfiniteFury, April 07, 2005, 02:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, what will you be doing later this year

Buying an Xbox 360
24 (18.8%)
Waiting for the PS3
57 (44.5%)
Buying all of them because - well, if you have to ask, you can't afford it
22 (17.2%)
Waiting for the Revolution to come
25 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Voting closed: May 18, 2005, 07:58:44 PM

Timmay

I've joined, and I've got some challenge thing on the screen:

"20000 CMWKTRW. Who?"

Anyone else get that, if so, any ideas?

no_offenc

That's what I get, hence "what the fuck?", hahah.

Confusing?  You bet.  Have a look on the unfiction forums because they seem to have some good ideas over there....www.unfiction.com/forums/ I think.

madness, it says it's not an ARG but it rather seems to be in some aspects...

InfiniteFury

"Your memory is lost, your aura is high, your life within an inch, you have one weapon left to finish off the enemy what is it? If you read closely you should know the answer"

That's the current challenge I'm seeing anyway. So, answers anyone?

mattc_187

does that mean one of us has solved the "20000 CMWKTRW. Who?"  one ?

Timmay

I've done it. Got to wait till tomorrow for the next one.

mattc_187

Timmay

mattc_187

well done ... how did you work that one out ?

Timmay

I used my brain: I read the clue, tried a few answers and finally got it.

(I looked on Some Other Forums™)

InfiniteFury

"Up for anything as she marches to the beat of 11 drummers. No that's superficial."

New challenge - although I'm bored of this already to be quite honest.

EDIT - Annabelle Chong? :-)

terminallyrelaxed

Yeah can someone let us know if anything good happens? I'll be in the garden, ta....

RFT

I think this is nothing to do with the new xbox and more to with a relaunch of the times crossword to youngsters.

InfiniteFury

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7919

Quote from: "GameIndustry.biz"Next-gen Xbox wins the race to be seen first despite Sony's conference shuffling antics

Microsoft's next-generation Xbox console is set to be unveiled to the world not at E3, as was previously believed, but in a half-hour long special to be aired on MTV the week previously, on May 12th.

The move is a massive break with tradition on Microsoft's part, and will get the Xbox 2 in front of consumers several days ahead of the unveiling of Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Revolution in Los Angeles the following week.

"It doesn't make sense to unveil the product behind a closed door, at a trade-only event," according to Microsoft corporate VP Peter Moore. "We wanted to talk directly to the consumer first."

The half-hour show will be a star studded affair, hosted by Lord of the Rings actor Elijah Wood and featuring a range of athletes, celebrities and even a live performance from rock band The Killers.

Last week it emerged that Sony's pre-E3 press conference has been scheduled to take place a few hours ahead of Microsoft's event, reversing the running order of previous years and supposedly giving the PS3 a head-start over Xbox 2 in the coverage war.

Xbox 2 - or whatever the console is eventually called, as it's believed that both Microsoft and Sony have ditched the sequential numbering system for their new machines - will be launched late this year, with an October / November date currently on the cards. Neither Sony nor Nintendo is expected to launch new hardware until 2006.

Microsoft is also running a viral marketing game to lead up to the May 12th unveiling of Xbox 2, with the "OurColony" game mimicking many features of the hugely successful Halo 2 "I Love Bees" viral game, and giving players tantalising sneak peeks at some aspects of the console and controller's design - although so far the main info to be gleaned is that the controller is probably white, which ties in with reports from sources close to Microsoft that it has gone with a white colour scheme for the system this time around.

White eh? Just like the Dreamcast....

Anyway, would one of our American brothers be kind enough to capture this MTV programe and torrent it when it goes up please?

BTW - I changed the thread title to make it more general.

InfiniteFury

Project Gotham 3 among others to launch as well apparently (sorry, can't find the link again) - which is enough to see me down at GAME on launch day with a wad of cash.

Timmay

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Stuff about Xbox 2 launch on MTV
Likelyhood of it being on MTV over here at the same time or slightly later? I don't see why not - Europe is still a huge market for the Xbox, specifically the UK.

InfiniteFury

Yeah but but but but - it might not!

Anyways, I don't have posh TV and I shouldn't think the games sites will be allowed to offer it for a while.

So if someone could (I edited my begging out) I would be very grateful.

InfiniteFury

VegaLA

MTV... may 12th... got it !
Hold on I don't have a VCR..... guess nows the perfect time to get that DVD recorder i've been after :)

Would it piss people off hugely if it wasn't backwardly compatible with the first one?

mattc_187

From what i remember from the article in last months Edge backwards compatiblity would come as some form of add on or download that you'd have to pay for. They'll probably do it as a download over 'live' ....

InfiniteFury

It wouldn't be ideal but it's not a deal-maker for me anyway.

They're still feverishly tinkering I believe to try and squeeze emulation out of the new hardware. They won't comment on it either way and I can't say I blame them.

My money's on them to pull it off personally.

mattc_187

Ahhh i see .... can't be that hard for them to do that can it? I belive there's no hard drive in the xbox 2 either .... is that going to put people of buying one ?

InfiniteFury

A hard-drive is likely to be an optional extra, possibly acting as a sort of x-pod for portable music as well - or so the rumours say.

Apparently the real emulation problem is that they've changed hardware from Nvidia to ATI (or something like that, dont' quote me here) which makes it hard to emulate. My technical knowledge isn't fantastic but it's a change of hardware issue.

I was going to say if people can manage to emulate old consoles across a multitude of video cards then why is this a problem? But they're too powerful now to emulate for a long time - I don't believe there's a functioning PS2/Xbox1 emulator out there for PCs at the moment and it's been years.

terminallyrelaxed

I don't see how it can be a download - an add-on piece of hardware maybe, but then why can't I just hook my old box up to it?
I'm not sure about retro-compatibility or whatever you want to call it. On the one hand the ability to still play Micro-Machines was good on the PS2, but also consider this: The Xbox will be £300-£600 depending on whether you get small medium or go large. If we're lucky games will still be £40. I don't know about you, but the launch game better be pretty fucking good as I won't be able to afford a nother one until a couple of months after I've got the box - and how many games will there be for the first few months?
The ability to do a bit of Halo2 could be a godsend.

InfiniteFury

Yeah what he said although I'm putting an absolute top price of £400 on the best version of the machine. Assume the basic model will be £200. Remember they need take-up, take-up, take-up prior to Sony's launch.

They have to give every PS2 owner out there a reason to make the upgrade now and at least get the basic model.

They launched at £300 last time and dropped it to £200 after one month last time, remember. They'll make money off the top spec machine to justify a lower cost of the basic.

The real question is, will the basic model be upgradeable after purchase? Tricky. On the one hand, they want to make as much money on launch as possible and persuade people to go the whole hog. On the other hand, why turn down potential ongoing upgrade revenue?

My money's on it being upgradeable but cheaper in the long run to buy the whole kit in the first place.

The important thing is to steal Sony's customers so give people options.
£600 won't happen - I'm positive of that.

terminallyrelaxed

But the last one laucnhed at £300. I know it dropped down pretty sharpish, but I'll eat my hat if they release the next gen console at a price cheaper than the last. Maybe the stripped down, student-version, made-to-look-like-a-gamecube-to-appeal-to-all-three-gaming-girls collect-three-big-mac-tokens-to-win model, but not the medium or decent ones....

InfiniteFury

The thing is, when you launch a product (especially in the UK) in several different 'flavours' and it's a hyped must-have product the assumption is that everyone would want the full-spec.
I mean, this is gaming, this isn't about fun :-)

The high price gets reported. Xbox 2 priced at £600, that's what the news will say. So they have to strike a balance as it has the potential to be a marketing nightmare. £400 all-in and I think I'm being over-cautious with that estimate.

But, you know, I temp in the civil service so it's not like I'm Bill Gates' shoeshine boy. Just my estimates.

terminallyrelaxed

I buy things from people like Microsoft all the time.
Logic, wisdom, market-share, competition, economics, customer-care, aspiration and the future of the industry - take them all into account and you still are'nt going to have a clue what they are going to do until they do it.
They could have already decided the prices, and still change them a week before release in reaction to something Sony have done.