Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

XBOX 360, PS3 & Revolution - News & stuff

Started by InfiniteFury, April 07, 2005, 02:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, what will you be doing later this year

Buying an Xbox 360
24 (18.8%)
Waiting for the PS3
57 (44.5%)
Buying all of them because - well, if you have to ask, you can't afford it
22 (17.2%)
Waiting for the Revolution to come
25 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Voting closed: May 18, 2005, 07:58:44 PM

lardboy

I can't say I'm overly bothered, as I reckon I'll keep my original XBox for a while yet as I've chipped it and mainly use it as a media player and emulation.  While backwards compatability is a nice idea at the beginning, I'm not sure it's really valid after the first six months or so.  In all honesty, how often did you play an old PS game on your PS2?

Unless the NextBox is priced very agressively, I'll probably not buy it until the price drops when the Nintendo and Sony competitors come out in 2006.  I'll happily spend 6 months playing the XBox games that are suddenly half price that I didn't bother buying when they originally came out (Fable for example).

Hmm.  Seems a bit contradictory on rereading.  Oh well, not bothered.

InfiniteFury

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"I buy things from people like Microsoft all the time.
Logic, wisdom, market-share, competition, economics, customer-care, aspiration and the future of the industry - take them all into account and you still are'nt going to have a clue what they are going to do until they do it.
They could have already decided the prices, and still change them a week before release in reaction to something Sony have done.

True true, I'm possibly just being hopeful so I, numero uno, can afford one. Should always take that into account.

RFT

It would be suicide to launch at anything over £300, even for a top-spec machine.

even if doing a "range", I would envisage this
200: barebones system, one controller, no HD, possibly no built-in networking.
250: console, one controller, small HD, networking built in
300: console, 2 controllers, big HD, netwokring built in and 6 month's Live Subscription.

the strategy would be to have the £200 as your headline price to get people into stores, but once in, they'll be quite easily talked up to the 250 price point.

even after big economies of scale building lots of xboxes, MS still lose about £40 on each unit, one would imagine that they wouldn;t want to continue too much with that strategy.

mattc_187

For me backwards compatability is a massive selling point .... i've shelled out a huge amount of hard earned over the years on games so if i can fork out £400 for a Xbox 2 and still play my old games as well as get rid of my xbox then i'll be chuffed ... if however it's not backwards compatable then i think i'll wait till the X2 drops in price (which it will) and some decent games come out (which they won't for a couple of months after release).
To be honest seen as i'm not on 'live' anyway i'm suddenly thinking there's not much point buying an X2 ... i mean how much futher can games go as ofline experiences ?

InfiniteFury

It would actually have to be a remarkable single-player game for me to shell out money for something that can't  be played on Live.

Anything less just doesn't justify it for me anymore.

Although having said that, imagine GTA where you could properly destroy buildings, trees, proper fires, no slow-down, the lot.

InfiniteFury

HOLY SHIT - this image appeared on ourcolony.net for just 5 minutes after one of the clues was solved:

Looks like PGR3 for launch - someone examined the coding in the picture and it's marked as the Ferrari Modena Magazine Cover or something like that.

So magazine artwork for OXM?

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8028/Project-Gotham-Racing-3-Spotted-at-OurColonyNet/

Obviously it might not be PGR3 but it's almost a cert for launch day so I'll go along with it.

mattc_187

Yeah GTA would be very good if it was like that .... Is 'live' the way to go?  I just got broadband at home, but NTL Xbox option is still too expensive in my eyes .... the amount of time i have to play games at the moment it would be just a waste of money .... i mean i'm still playing  Legend of Zelda: Windwaker for gods sake.
I'm under no delusions Microsoft will be pushing the 'live' element on X2 but where does that leave people who don't want, can't aford or can't get 'live'
are single player games going to die on their arse?

terminallyrelaxed

InfiniteFury

I know. Goddamit - where's that £1000 I had lying around ?

Sold!

mattc_187

I think i may have just changed my mind ..... wow

InfiniteFury

mattc_187

Yeah ... but lets not get carried away here .... good graphics don't make for good games. As good as the Project Gotham games are (and i have no doubt the newone will be great) there are plently of game out there that look great and play like a pig .... the PS2 has shown that in abundance

VegaLA

Gotta agree with mattc_187 as regards to rushing in. i want to wait a while and see how the new XBox develops. The first XBox was riddled with bugs on launch so I held back for that (in fact I got a PS2 which I soon dropped because the few games I did get for it did'nt have any lasting staypower) so i'm going to wait and see what games are launched for it during the first 6 months and you better believe Halo 3 had better have online co-op for at least 4 players. Our own version of Resident Evil outbreak online had better make an appearance too !!

Here's the listing for XBox 2's MTV doc....

North America: Thursday, May 12, at 9:30 p.m. (21:30)
Japan/Asia: Friday, May 13, at 11:30
Europe: France: Friday, May 13, at 19:00
Germany: Friday, May 13, at 19:00
Italy: Friday, May 13, at 23:30
Netherlands: Friday, May 13, at 19:30
Poland: Friday, May 13, at 21:00
Portugal: Friday, May 13, at 20:00
Romania: Friday, May 13, at 20:00
Scandinavia: Friday, May 13, at 22:00
Spain: Friday, May 13, at 21:30
U.K.: Friday, May 13, at 20:00
Australia: Friday, May 13, at 19:00

Oh... and did anyone see the controller ?

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8018/Xbox-360-Controller-Exposed/

InfiniteFury

Eurgh, jesus christ is that controller pearlescent?

I'm playing games not trying to mod a Honda Civic for fuck sake.

Maybe it's the lighting.

Frankly there is absolutely no way in hell I'm waiting any longer than 1 mintue after release for my Xbox 2 - assuming PGR3 launches with it.
It's my Halo and my bitch.

I'm just going to try and get an extended warranty on the console for two years.

terminallyrelaxed

It looks pale grey - so what? Actually I hope thats a shit picture and its white.

I think I waited a couple of months for the first one, not least because I couldnt afford £300. I seem to remember some of the earlier ones having dodgy optical drives and things like that.
If the price isnt astronomical though I wouldn't mind getting it pretty sharpish, but I'm sure as hell not queueing for it or buying any 'special limited edition' anythings - I haven't even tried out the DVD that came with Halo 2.

Timmay

I'm going to sell my Xbox and games now while they're worth anything.

terminallyrelaxed

Timmay

Ahh, but I'll be quids ahead of you in the queue for the new one! ;)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tsch. Nothing wrong with the controller S. Should've kept the continuity like Sony did (except the PS's controller is highly flawed, and if they don't change it for their next outing they're in trouble). Still, it looks similar in layout, I suppose.

terminallyrelaxed

All 30 of them? Seriously though, how much are you likely to get for it? The games might stack up if you haven't traded any I suppose, but then you won't be able to indulge in any old school PGR2 while we're waiting.

I need a release date and price so I can plan days off etc - but its still a long long way off, I hate these drip-fed build up things, but then its a whole new console, not a game like Halo2 so I don't think I'll be disappointed. I wouldnt mind some info about the games it will be released with, PGR3 looks like a safe bet but have they even confirmed that?

InfiniteFury

You'll find out soon enough what the launch games will be.

Either at E3 or this horrific getting-down-with-the-kids thing they have planned for MTV

Timmay

I do hope the Xbox2 comes with an extra hour in the day to play - I'd definately pay for that. And the games need to come with better novelty, to stop it wearing off after you complete 5 clean laps of a 5 minute course for the 20th fucking time, and still fall 3 short of the required fucking Kudos.

They also need to have some sort of an ego/cunt option on the online games, to prevent you being pitted against some fat American college motherfucker who spends 23 hours a day on the game, and insists on saying nothing through the whole game until he kills you and 100dB of "WHOOOOOOOOP YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH YOU BRITISH MOTHERFUCKERS EAT MY SHIT YOU FUCKAAAAAASSSSSSSSS blasts out into your eardrum.

Oh, and the controller needs to be made stronger. If they need someone to test them being thrown against walls at a high velocity, just email me at ourcontrollersbreaktooeasilywhenthrownatwalls@timspence.co.uk.

InfiniteFury

terminallyrelaxed

I think the mistake you've made is buying a PGR2-only console, Tim - you should have got an xbox.

VegaLA

InfiniteFury

Just pipped me there - although please bear in mind that is the opinion of an analyst who has to justify a 6-figure salary somehow and it's rarely done by agreeing with everyone else.

And it goes without saying you need to replace the $ with a £ to get the exact UK price. £300 tops will do me, fingers crossed...

VegaLA

InfiniteFury

It's white and it's called Xbox 360 apparently:

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58634

Bad name, bad colour IMO

terminallyrelaxed

QuoteSpeaking under conditions of strict anonymity, a British source privy to Microsoft's marketing documents has today confirmed the machine's name and previously rumoured details of the actual design.

Purple, have you been a naughty boy?

terminallyrelaxed

So its concave. Presumably so theres less surface area to burn your carpet.