Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:31:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the best version of A Christmas Carol?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 22, 2019, 07:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I'd always have said The Muppet's Christmas Carol like any right thinking human being / animal / fish but I'm watching the 1970 version with Albert Finney right now and enjoying it an awful lot, to the extent I might watch the muppets version afterwards to see which is best. But then of course there's the classic Alastair Sim one, Bill Murray's much loved Scrooged, and I don't know, that other one you like, yeah, that's good too. But which is your favourite?

mjwilson

It's the Muppets, you were right first time. Close the thread.

touchingcloth

VHS Muppets is better than DVD. The DVD version omits When Love Is Gone, but still has Scrooge weeping like a child without the song to explain it.

Dex Sawash

mjwilson

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 22, 2019, 07:58:29 PM
VHS Muppets is better than DVD. The DVD version omits When Love Is Gone, but still has Scrooge weeping like a child without the song to explain it.

"I love you."
"You did, once."

Does everything that it needs to without stopping the film stone dead for a boring song.

Jumblegraws

Christmas Carol adaptations I've seen:
Scrooge aka "the Alastair Sim one"
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Scrooged
The Muppet Christmas Carol

Not as many as I'd like. Of these, the Muppet CC is my favourite (and indeed my favourite Christmas film, as it seems to be for 90% of all millennials). The inclusion of a second Marley brother so that Waldorf & Statler could do their double act is the greatest cinematic example of adaptation departing from the source material. The blending of Muppets' personalities with their Dickens characters is delightful and creates an non-intrusive layer of in-jokes for Jim Henson geeks. Caine's performance as Scrooge is refreshingly loud and menacing, it's the only depiction I know of where Scrooge's fearsome reputation is completely bound to his financial power.

ETA: I remember watching the Patrick Stewart one when I was a teenager, seemed unremarkable.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: mjwilson on December 22, 2019, 08:04:20 PM
"I love you."
"You did, once."

Does everything that it needs to without stopping the film stone dead for a boring song.

I agree with this. We used to fast-forward that song when we were kids. The main issue with leaving it out is it dampens the counter-point of the cheerful "The Love We Found" reprise at the end, but anyone not familiar with the VHS version wouldn't know what they were missing.

Deyv

Custard

Alastair Sim
Then the Muppets one

Watched the Jim Carrey one the other day. Appalling shit

Noodle Lizard

Dee Dee's one from the Limmy's Show Christmas Special is pretty great. I like the Blackadder one too, solid Christmas viewing.

As far as "proper" ones go, probably the 1951 one for me.

bgmnts

Muppets >>>>>>>>>> Scrooged >>>>>>> everything else.

Which makes me wonder, is there a film that could not be made better if it was reimagined with Muppets? If anyone remembers that muppet trailer of Pulp Fiction way back when, I wanted to see that film.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 22, 2019, 08:40:28 PM
Dee Dee's one from the Limmy's Show Christmas Special is pretty great. I like the Blackadder one too, solid Christmas viewing.

Tv specials are more than welcome here, I'm extremely fond of both of those as well, as well as the Beavis and Butthead one which I only watched for the first time last week.

QuoteAs far as "proper" ones go, probably the 1951 one for me.

I do remember enjoying that a long, long time ago but haven't seen it since my teens and so really should give it another shot.

Quote from: bgmnts on December 22, 2019, 09:18:34 PM
Which makes me wonder, is there a film that could not be made better if it was reimagined with Muppets? If anyone remembers that muppet trailer of Pulp Fiction way back when, I wanted to see that film.

Irreversible. It would just be way too traumatic seeing that happen to Piggy.

kalowski

Alistair Sim
Muppets

The rest

This nonsense with Guy Pearce.

bgmnts

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 22, 2019, 09:19:25 PM
Irreversible. It would just be way too traumatic seeing that happen to Piggy.

Good point.

Deliverance would be interesting, though

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on December 22, 2019, 09:23:18 PM
Good point.

Deliverance would be interesting, though

And Nine Songs would instantly become my favourite film.

purlieu

Alistair Sim. His Christmas morning performance is one of my favourite moments in cinema history, the level of giddily crazy joy is something to behold. Plus it really plays up the idea of him Scrooge being corrupted by money rather than a miser from the get go.

Muppets are in second, of course.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jumblegraws on December 22, 2019, 08:22:01 PM
I agree with this. We used to fast-forward that song when we were kids. The main issue with leaving it out is it dampens the counter-point of the cheerful "The Love We Found" reprise at the end, but anyone not familiar with the VHS version wouldn't know what they were missing.

I like the cut song. Deal with it GET IT DONE

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The version with Patrick Stewart slips under the radar but it's pretty good, perhaps a little too straight laced. Perfect casting though and he carries some of the limp sections almost on his own.

Harpo Speaks

That version where Grant from Eastenders is a heartless debt collector who learns the error of his ways

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

holdover

I watched the Albert Finney one the other day and Alec Guinness has my vote for the best Marley. He does something very weird in his performance. A freaky, slightly camp, fluid way or moving. There's one scene which he moves almost as if the film is being played backward. I wonder if it's some old-school stage actor trick for playing ghosts.

It's the Alistair Sim version for me. Then the Muppets.

I'll always love A Christmas Carol for scaring the shit out of as a kid. It's gateway horror isn't it? The bit with the door-knocker and the initial visit from Marley I mean. Even the Muppet one freaked me out the first time.

madhair60

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: holdover on December 23, 2019, 06:18:50 AM
I watched the Albert Finney one the other day and Alec Guinness has my vote for the best Marley. He does something very weird in his performance. A freaky, slightly camp, fluid way or moving. There's one scene which he moves almost as if the film is being played backward. I wonder if it's some old-school stage actor trick for playing ghosts.

I know the scene you mean, it's a right odd thing indeed and I found his performance very curious too, though it does work and the scenes in hell are especially enjoyable due to how strange his Marley is.

SteK

What's the really old one with some old actor in it? 30's I think it was.

Googling.....

This one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrooge_(1935_film)

Sebastian Cobb

Small Man Big Horse

I watched The Muppet Christmas Carol again tonight and it is hugely superior, the Finney one is really fun but it's not a patch on Kermit and co. Oh, and for the record it should be the "When Love Is Gone" extended edition, as that songs all kinds of lovely and affecting.

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 23, 2019, 07:59:52 PM
The Passions of Carol (Shaun Costello, 1975)

No singing Michael Caine, so despite the lovely erect penises it only takes second place I'm afraid.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 23, 2019, 09:50:08 PM
I watched The Muppet Christmas Carol again tonight and it is hugely superior, the Finney one is really fun but it's not a patch on Kermit and co. Oh, and for the record it should be the "When Love Is Gone" extended edition, as that songs all kinds of lovely and affecting.

Is there an extended DVD version which includes it? We still have a VHS player which only gets used for that one film.

Mister Six

Patrick Stewart does a great turn in his one, but after Muppets, Murray and Sim it all seems a bit blandly pointless. Also there's a bit scene they forget to add the glow onto the Ghost of Christmas Present, which is lazy.

FX has its own three-part version out this Christmas. Big, spooky posters up all over New York:

Guy Ritchie (Scrooge), Stephen Graham (Marley), Andy Serkis (Ghost of Christmas Past) and Kayvan Novak ("Ali Baba"?!). Good cast. Probs gonna be rubs though.

EDIT: Ah, apparently already aired in the US and part one is out on the BBC tonight.