Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:48:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the best version of A Christmas Carol?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 22, 2019, 07:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: gout_pony on December 25, 2019, 01:03:03 PM
It really is! It's properly glorious - just does everything a family film should do - doesn't patronise, doesn't dual address through innuendo, respects the audience, oodles of charm, earnest yet jokey. So, so very good.

"And Tiny Tim, who did NOT die!"

Perfection.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: gout_pony on December 25, 2019, 01:03:03 PM
It really is! It's properly glorious - just does everything a family film should do - doesn't patronise, doesn't dual address through innuendo, respects the audience, oodles of charm, earnest yet jokey. So, so very good.

Absolutely, I hadn't seen it in years and was worried it might not live up to my memories of it, but it's just stunningly sweet and kindhearted and yet also very very funny too. Yesterday we were talking about the BBC grimdark version and my Sister mentioned that she hated the muppets version, and now she is dead (to me), but even if I had murdered her I'm pretty sure the jury would have considered it a righteous killing and set me free, and probably have given me a financial reward too.

BlodwynPig

The one i saw yesterday from 1970 was excellent. Albert Finney was hard to understand as scrooge but the special effects were great

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 23, 2019, 11:50:31 AM
I know the scene you mean, it's a right odd thing indeed and I found his performance very curious too, though it does work and the scenes in hell are especially enjoyable due to how strange his Marley is.

Quite unsettling. Some great subtle humour in the film too

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 26, 2019, 01:34:44 PM
The one i saw yesterday from 1970 was excellent. Albert Finney was hard to understand as scrooge but the special effects were great
It was weird. He was doing some sort of Derke face throughout.

BlodwynPig

It was an excellent musical and i hate musicals. You dont see it mentioned in the canon of great musicals though.

Neomod

Scrooge! is my favourite. Great score from Leslie 'You Only Live Twice' Bricusse, top notch cast of theatrical heavyweights . . .  and Pogo Patterson, superb art direction and of course the titles by Ronald Searle.