Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTubers and their "merch"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 22, 2019, 07:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

This seems to be an increasing trend, with lots of the Youtubers I watch releasing tshirts, hoodie, phone covers etc. Have you ever bought a Youtuber's merch? I don't know anyone who ever has. There are some Youtubers I really like but I can't imagine buying a t-shirt from them.

imitationleather

I never leave the house without my Logan Paul rape alarm.

Deyv

There's that guy Big Joel selling sweaters, or something. I like his videos, and his attitude, but no I'm not going to be buying a sweater off the guy. I doubt it'll have been steamed adequately.

madhair60

I never leave the house with my Logan Paul rape alarm!

Edit: fuck.

idunnosomename

currently wearing my WatchMojo.com truss and Paul Joseph Watson bra

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I never leave the house without raping Logan Paul.

New folder

30 subscriber JacobPlays channel with branded pillow cases, arse wipes and DnD dice, SUPPORT OUR JACOB FAMILY, become a jacobhead now!!!burn all youtube and twitch influencers

Mister Six

I never rape my house without alarming Logan Paul.

Famous Mortimer

I bought a thing from RedLetterMedia, but it was an eBay auction of a prop they'd used on the show,  mounted to a wooden stand with a little plaque on it. So as long as the Youtubers are roughly my own age, yes, I'll buy stuff from them.

Consignia

It's all completely stupid, would never fund something so idiotic. I mean I did buy some of that Bath Water that lady was selling a while back, but that was frankly a no-brainer.

Dewt

I love Souped Up Recipes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3HjB3X8jeENm46HCkI0Inw

She makes traditional Chinese recipes in a very uncompromising way. Uses so many ingredients that to many anything she makes would be a week-long project unless you live in China. She got me growing bean sprouts on the regular.

In one video she had this cute duck running around her kitchen:

and then SLIT ITS FUCKING THROAT on camera. Uncompromising.

So it kinda sucks that some of her later videos moved towards her being a bit of a QVC presenter selling her own brand of woks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHdB7PFHYM

and then the wok appearing in every video from then on. Just spoils it a bit for me. Even though her content is still great and this isn't a particularly egregious example. It's just more difficult because was so so pure.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dewt on December 23, 2019, 09:08:52 PM
She makes traditional Chinese recipes in a very uncompromising way.

In one video she had this cute duck running around her kitchen:

and then SLIT ITS FUCKING THROAT on camera. Uncompromising.

Yeah, the duck was the only thing in that photo which ended up in the oven that week...

Dewt

Yay racism and not even the kind that pretends to be clever, just straight up dumb-as-shit Bernard Manning cunt racism

bgmnts

D'ya remember the chinese!? They're all dead now, breaks ya heart.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dewt on December 23, 2019, 10:53:52 PM
Yay racism and not even the kind that pretends to be clever, just straight up dumb-as-shit Bernard Manning cunt racism

I've just had a look on Google and can see that whilst "roughly 10–20 million dogs are killed for consumption in China each year, making the country the world's largest consumer of dog meat", that is still very much a minority (mostly within the Southernmost provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi) and it's considered a stereotype to make "eating dog" jokes about the Chinese in general.  Okay, I've learned something there and will be much more mindful in future.

Whilst I always knew that it was only some Chinese people who ate dog meat, I never realised that it was such a small minority, much less that it was considered deeply offensive to suggest that your average Chinese person may eat dog meat.  I've educated myself and as with anything in life, I shall endeavour to do better.  I live and I learn.  Perhaps you in turn, could learn to not jump down people's throats when they're displaying ignorance, as opposed to hatefulness.  There are more constructive ways to educate people, than to label them and insult them.

EDIT: Also, just to clarify; the joke was never intended as "eewwww, they be eating dogs in China".  The joke was nothing more than there being a dog in the screengrab and you saying that it's from a video of a woman who makes "Chinese recipes in a very uncompromising way" and me making a mental connection between that and the consumption of dog meat in China by some people.

Dewt

Quote from: Jim Bob on December 24, 2019, 12:45:32 AM
I've just had a look on Google and can see that whilst "roughly 10–20 million dogs are killed for consumption in China each year, making the country the world's largest consumer of dog meat", that is still very much a minority (mostly within the Southernmost provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi) and it's considered a stereotype to make "eating dog" jokes about the Chinese in general.  Okay, I've learned something there and will be much more mindful in future.
Seems like a success to me, it learned you.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dewt on December 24, 2019, 01:09:33 AM
Seems like a success to me, it learned you.

I really wish that you'd be less sanctimonious in your education of us lesser beings.

Dewt

Honestly the group of people who need to be told that "haha I bet that Chinese girl would eat her dog" jokes are racist isn't as big as you're imagining.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dewt on December 24, 2019, 01:30:07 AM
Honestly the group of people who need to be told that "haha I bet that Chinese girl would eat her dog" jokes are racist isn't as big as you're imagining.

Okay.  I'm am idiot then.  What do you want me to say?

Dewt

Nothing, it's fine, I'm not looking to make you feel bad for an extended period of time like you just became my personal bitch for something something insensitive.

bgmnts

Don't worry jim, his bark's worse than his bite.

easytarget

'Hi I'm Rick Be-ah-toh and today's what make's this song great is fucking Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine.'
I like this fella. He looks like he's gonna be all 'rock achieved perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact, disco sucks maaaan. I hate autotune. iamthesameasmarcmaron' BUT, not so much. I mean, a tiny little bit, but WAY less than you'd think.
He has lots of videos where he explains why some song is fucking great, he really makes the case for it, all soloing the drums and going "listen to this fill!" or pulling just the vocal tracks so you can hear the weird buried harmonies. I enjoy his stuff a lot.

I have not bought any of his merch.

the

"This is why this song is great:"

(plays bit of song and stops it)

"You hear that bit [...] that bit is so great!"

(plays soloed guitar work and stops it)

"You hear the way they played that? [...] that playing is so great!"

(plays a bit of a sub-mix and stops it)

"You hear the sound of that bit - that sound is so great!"

etc.

Doesn't it tend to just be small analyses of technique/composition/production immediately reinforced with a statement of it being unassailably 'great'. Complacent.

He really, really, really hates quantized live drums.

Everyone is pushing merch so much right now because so many of the channels are demonitized.

popcorn

Well if anyone wants any popcorn merch there's still an awful lot of it available.

wooders1978

Got a bit of a suspicion someone clever does it as a service - so why not chance your arm with a "Kay Cooks" hoodie

easytarget

Quote from: the on December 24, 2019, 12:37:46 PM

Doesn't it tend to just be small analyses of technique/composition/production immediately reinforced with a statement of it being unassailably 'great'. Complacent.
There's a lot of that - and to be honest soloing out a synth line so you can really hear it is enough to make me appreciate some overplayed hit a lot more. But, to be fair, he also talks a lot about music theory 'Kurt's playing the root and the fifth on the guitar and singing the flat third to make the minor chord' (and other examples, some of which are a bit beyond my 'chords have notes in them!' understanding of theory).
I like his enthusiasm.