Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:42:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Bunch

Started by Ja'moke, December 24, 2019, 10:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

This musical, sketch, kids show Netflix special thing from John Mulaney and directed by Rhys Thomas is great.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm a massive fan of Mulaney's and am greatly looking forward to seeing this, hopefully on Boxing Day when I've finished spending time with the family.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 24, 2019, 11:30:43 PM
I'm a massive fan of Mulaney's and am greatly looking forward to seeing this, hopefully on Boxing Day when I've finished spending time with the family.

I think Mulaney is my favourite comedian at the moment. Well, at least American, he's no Bob Mortimer. But he consistently makes me laugh, not just his stand up, but his interviews and Comedy Bang Bang appearances. Just a very naturally funny man.

up_the_hampipe

This was a conflict for me, as I'm an avid fan of Mulaney, but a longtime detractor of children (especially as performers) and sing-songs. But this was really funny and delightfully absurd. It's like Wonder Showzen without the sinister elements.

olliebean

Makes quite a difference when they get personable children who can actually act, rather than insipid stage school clones who just reproduce the standard kid-actor gurns, doesn't it?

gmoney

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 24, 2019, 10:49:53 PM
This musical, sketch, kids show Netflix special thing from John Mulaney and directed by Rhys Thomas is great.

I'm assuming that this is the Rhys Thomas who's worked on SNL, and not Thomas and Way's Rhys Thomas OBE?

Ja'moke

Quote from: gmoney on December 26, 2019, 06:24:00 PM
I'm assuming that this is the Rhys Thomas who's worked on SNL, and not Thomas and Way's Rhys Thomas OBE?

Ah, you're probably right, I had no idea there were two Rhys Thomas' working comedy!

Really wasn't sure I was going to like this, despite being a big JM fan, but it was great, especially Jake Gyllenhaal's deranged Mr Music sequence. The very end was surprisingly moving I thought, a message about being true to yourself.

spaghetamine

About half an hour into this and it's been making me cackle like a madman, just the thing for the post-festive purgatory period

rasta-spouse

That was funny when the kid said Nanette.

Pseudopath

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 24, 2019, 11:58:16 PM
This was a conflict for me, as I'm an avid fan of Mulaney, but a longtime detractor of children (especially as performers) and sing-songs. But this was really funny and delightfully absurd. It's like Wonder Showzen without the sinister elements.

This. I usually can't stand song-and-dance numbers, especially with precocious stage school kids, but this was charming (and funny) as all heck.

Small Man Big Horse

Finally got around to watching this and loved it to pieces, thought it was one of the best comedy specials I've seen in years.

Norton Canes

Damn, passed over this on a fruitless trawl through Netflix last night. I'll be back.

SteveDave

I loved this. The only song that didn't work was the night flowers one but all the rest (especially "Pay Attention") were great!

Ja'moke

Quote from: olliebean on July 07, 2020, 03:46:18 PM
Two more of these to come, apparently. But not on Netflix, which is annoying.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/other-news/2020/07/07/46452/john_mulaney_to_make_two_more_sack_lunch_bunch_specials

I expected someone to pick this up for more, and I'm not mad about it! The first one was fantastic.

Small Man Big Horse

That's brilliant news, and I'm a tv thief so don't care that it'll be Comedy Central rather than Netflix.